popo

so depressed today

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

i m looking for a job as a bank teller for more than 3 months now, i applied in almost all bank sites i know online... and nobody call me... so i decided to write a resume and today i was going from bank to bank to drop my resume and everywhere they were saying to do it online.... so im so depressed right now... and i have a 3 year cashier experience, i have a bachelor degree in economics... i dont know what to do anymore... i just think it will never gonna to happen... :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Is a bank teller position the only thing you want to do? If you post your resume online in sites like Monster and Careerbuilder, you may find out that there are other postitions you might qualify for.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hang in there...my wife's gone through a similar experience and she was a practicing dentist back in her country. She's having success with department stores, but the pay is just above minimum. Even with such unskilled jobs that she's applied for, some places were looking for someone with some retail experience. You might want to try working in a different field, like retail for a little while to build up your experience working here.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hang in there and make sure your resume (even your online resume) presents you in the best light. Make it sound like they could really use someone with your education, experience, and skills. Try to get an American friend that is very articulate to help you (your English is very good, but perhaps someone who speaks native English could help you present your resume even better).

I know it's rough, I'm glad I never have to go through the job search again. Once I retire I'm getting my pension, going to Thailand and being a Tuk Tuk driver :dance:

"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

-Harry Burns

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Let's face it: she is not getting a job because she is not American. I went through it myself and so did many immigrants I know here.

But Popo hang in there........... hundreds of employers are just limited: they will hire a high school graduate who can't count till ten other than using calculator just because he or she is American, but one day you will meet one who will give you a chance.

I was in the same situation and after 4 months of looking I found a great job.

Good Luck

Ana

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

thank you everybody for your replies and support,

i m feeling better... nobody called me yet,but i keep applying online for the new openings...

i m thinking about looking for some other kind of job, maybe gain some experience and maybe later on i ll have more luck...

thanks again eveybody... i appreciate it

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Try a temp agency. Also, try temp teller work, they tend to be harder to fill so you may get called faster. Also try targeting smaller banks and credit unions who don't necessarily advertise openings because of the cost. But overall try not to get discouraged, on average it takes 9 months to find a job the USA, with all of your experience currently listed abroad, that could lengthen the process a little bit. But a positive spirit and a flexible attitude goes a long way.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
i m looking for a job as a bank teller for more than 3 months now, i applied in almost all bank sites i know online... and nobody call me... so i decided to write a resume and today i was going from bank to bank to drop my resume and everywhere they were saying to do it online.... so im so depressed right now... and i have a 3 year cashier experience, i have a bachelor degree in economics... i dont know what to do anymore... i just think it will never gonna to happen...

Yes that feeling I will be having very soon too I think.

I was a physicians assistant in Germany and went to school for it for 3 years,the qualification they wont accept here (they want you to go to collage for it here and it costs soooo much money it is crazy in Germany it is free)

I think I am going to look for an office job for the first year and then go to collage for something,without collage you dont really achieve much over here,sad but ture.

Let's face it: she is not getting a job because she is not American. I went through it myself and so did many immigrants I know here.

How is applying online discriminating against immigrants? I think if anything this would prevent that? They dont see you, they dont hear your accent, they only see your resume and qualifications.

If you have a bachelors in economics, and are interested in that field, I think a financial temp agency would be a great place to start. I used to work in one during college. They pay pretty good, starting was like $14-16/hr back then. And having experiences at a variety of companies on your resume can then potentially help out your job search later on for something permanent. Some of these temp jobs when they really like you, they offer you full time permament positions, and they pay your agency the finding fee, so no cost to you. I don't know if this will be helpful, but here's one of the agencies that has jobs all over the US. Temp jobs come up quickly, so there's a better chance to get something quicker.

http://www.roberthalfmr.com/portal/site/rhmr-us

Good luck! :) Stay positive

12140.gif

Have you checked with an employment agency in your area, sometimes they can be helpful. Good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Absolutely, employment agencies are a very good choice. They know what employers are looking for and they'll try to find you a good job because that's how they get paid, so it's a win-win situation for everybody.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

But Popo hang in there........... hundreds of employers are just limited: they will hire a high school graduate who can't count till ten other than using calculator just because he or she is American, but one day you will meet one who will give you a chance.

I was in the same situation and after 4 months of looking I found a great job.

Good Luck

Ana

That's a real crappy attitude. Jobs take a while to find no matter what nationality you are.

Look through your local newspapers. And, maybe widen your scope just a bit. I'm sure there are other jobs you would qualify for besides just a bank teller.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My ex was in the un-employment business back in Canada. They helped unemployed people get the training and offered classes on finding work. I believe one of the figures they kicked around, can't recall the exact figure--but most of the available jobs are not even listed anywhere! One has to hit the ground running with resumes. Treat looking for a job, like a full time. As well other problems holding people back were crappy resumes!! Even ones completed by so called "professional" resume companies!! Lot of times the first thing the prospective company sees is your resume, and if its crappy, well off to the garbage it goes. And a resume just be tailored to the job your applying for! Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I would absolutely believe that... in Australia I was head of a faculty in a boys' school for six years, and therefore had to short-list and interview teachers for vacant positions in my faculty... it was UNBELIEVABLE how bad some resumes were; truly unbelievable... spelling errors and bad grammar / punctuation were just the beginning :wacko:

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.