Hoggypi

Marrying then adjusting status with an ESTA then overstaying? (Merged threads)

68 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline
12 hours ago, Hoggypi said:

I am unsure if I should just return to my home country and begin the K1 visa process or if we can get married while I’m here then I return home to start the spouse visa or apply for adjustment of status while married on an ESTA? I am from Australia.

Unless you came here with the intent to adjust status you should be fine to adjust now. Going home and doing spousal visa means long distance relationship for 1-2 yrs. Staying here means being out of work for a few months and not being able to travel for about a year or so until AP approval or GC. 

Edited by GEOntificator

If you entered the US without the intent to AOS, then legally you’re allowed to marry and file for AOS while you’re here. Others have already mentioned the con of this route. 

Staying and adjusting or going home and waiting out the K1/IR/CR process, ONLY you can decide which is best for you.

good luck on your decision and on the rest of your journey. 

USA via Scotland, South Africa, Rhodesia, Brazil, Qatar & India

2000. H1B…

2014. L1A…

2017. LPR…

2021. N400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Out of interest, how would one prove that they entered on an ESTA without the intent to marry, therefore allowing them to remain through the AOS application?

[I-129F to K1]   

I-129F Sent: 2024-03-30    

I-129F NOA1 (Text): 2024-04-17  

I-129F NOA1 (Mail): 2024-04-27    

Estimated NOA2: September 2024 🤞

1 minute ago, smilingstone said:

Out of interest, how would one prove that they entered on an ESTA without the intent to marry, therefore allowing them to remain through the AOS application?

If asked to prove it, it would be things like showing a leave of absence from a job (rather than resigning from it before travelling to the US), showing a house lease/mortgage - and again showing notice wasn’t given/the house wasn’t put on the market until after getting to the US. Basically proving one only intended to visit and still had a life in their home country to return to. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 minute ago, appleblossom said:

If asked to prove it, it would be things like showing a leave of absence from a job (rather than resigning from it before travelling to the US), showing a house lease/mortgage - and again showing notice wasn’t given/the house wasn’t put on the market until after getting to the US. Basically proving one only intended to visit and still had a life in their home country to return to. 

Ah, I see, that's actually pretty simple, thank you! 

[I-129F to K1]   

I-129F Sent: 2024-03-30    

I-129F NOA1 (Text): 2024-04-17  

I-129F NOA1 (Mail): 2024-04-27    

Estimated NOA2: September 2024 🤞

2 minutes ago, Hoggypi said:

I’m currently in the US with my fiancé and he thinks a good option would be for us to get married soon then I return to Australia to adjust status and hopefully return to the us asap. Is this possible? I feel like the cr1 visa route is better. 

So you want to get married and then return to Australia to apply for the CR1? Yes, that's possible, there's no adjustment of status though. You can visit the US in the meantime, but you can't move until you have a visa in hand, which will be approx 18 months after applying. 

Good luck. 

1 minute ago, appleblossom said:

So you want to get married and then return to Australia to apply for the CR1? Yes, that's possible, there's no adjustment of status though. You can visit the US in the meantime, but you can't move until you have a visa in hand, which will be approx 18 months after applying. 

Good luck. 

My fiancé feels it’s best to marry then I return to Australia and we apply to adjust status rather than do the cr1 visa, so I’m interested to know if his method is practical or possible

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

My fiancé feels it’s best to marry then I return to Australia and we apply to adjust status rather than do the cr1 visa, so I’m interested to know if his method is practical or possible

Adjustment of Status apples to people inside the US.  Visas are obtained outside the US.   If you marry, then return to home country, adjustment of status will not apply.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Not sure what you mean 'rather than do the CR1 visa'? That would be your only option once married (or IR1 if you'd been married for more than 2 years). You can't apply to adjust status from Australia.

Edited by appleblossom

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Hoggypi said:

Here are your options:

1.  Marry while you are here, and apply for adjustment of status.  You would not be able to leave the US (without abandoning the adjustment) for 3 to 6 months.  You cannot work for 3 to 6 months.

2.  Marry while you are here, then return to home country.  Your US souse will start the CR-1 process by filing an I-130.  You can visit during the process.  Then, in about 18 months, you will receive a CR-1 spousal visa.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Hoggypi said:

One more thing.  You cannot return to home country (married or not), then re-enter the US as a visitor (married or not) with the intent to stay and adjust status.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline

***Like topics merged***

How risky would this be in terms of deportation or barred re-entry to the US? 

For context I’m currently in the US and on day 79 out of 90 days. My US citizen fiancé and I are considering getting married this weekend then applying to adjust my status but by the time our files reach their destination I worry that my 90 days will be up so I’d be overstaying…

any advice would be highly appreciated as we are both extremely stressed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We have a whole forum dedicated to adjusting.

Once you file to adjust you are in a period of authorised stay. You certainly can get that in next week.

Overstays when adjusting through marriage to a USC are in any event forgiven.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.