Afghanguy

Married Filing Separate / Joint? (Merged threads)

15 posts in this topic

My wife i-130 is approved and now waiting to be transferred to NVC...She received a alien registration #. my question is regarding my 2023 taxes. can i file jointly or married filing separate in order to get the marriage deduction? i have also filed for an ITIN # MONTHS ago but have not heard back on it...is alien registration # enough?

9 minutes ago, Afghanguy said:

My wife i-130 is approved and now waiting to be transferred to NVC...She received a alien registration #. my question is regarding my 2023 taxes. can i file jointly or married filing separate in order to get the marriage deduction? i have also filed for an ITIN # MONTHS ago but have not heard back on it...is alien registration # enough?

No. You require the ITIN or an SSN. 

8 minutes ago, Afghanguy said:

For the 2021 Tax year, when I filed my taxes I just entered all 9's in the social security number of my spouse, (filing married filing separate was going to cost me money,) and I sent it just like that along with the ITIN application and it took forever to get my ITIN number and had to file my 2022 taxes the same way, using all 9's for my spouse social security number and the IRS processed my taxes as normal.  Once I received the ITIN number I then submitted corrected 1040's with the ITIN number and then when my spouse received the social security number, I submitted corrected 1040's again.   

6 minutes ago, TexasRafael said:

For the 2021 Tax year, when I filed my taxes I just entered all 9's in the social security number of my spouse, (filing married filing separate was going to cost me money,) and I sent it just like that along with the ITIN application and it took forever to get my ITIN number and had to file my 2022 taxes the same way, using all 9's for my spouse social security number and the IRS processed my taxes as normal.  Once I received the ITIN number I then submitted corrected 1040's with the ITIN number and then when my spouse received the social security number, I submitted corrected 1040's again.   

Ok so you amended your returns after you got the ITIN and then got the marriage joint deduction? how do i check the status of my ITIN do i call IRS? Last year i took my taxes to a place and they filed it as Married filing separate I did NOT get the marriage deduction since there is no ITIN #...so i guess no deduction this year since there is no ITIN...that sucks lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Afghanguy said:

i have also filed for an ITIN # MONTHS ago but have not heard back on it...is alien registration # enough?

How did she file for an ITIN #?

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Afghanguy said:

Last year i took my taxes to a place and they filed it as Married filing separate I did NOT get the marriage deduction since there is no ITIN #

You normally file for an ITIN when you file taxes...along with a JOINT 1040.

How do I apply for an ITIN? | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

**Moved to Tax and Finances During US Immigration***

• 2 months later...

Hello, last year I filed taxes as MFS and did NOT get the married couple deduction but this year my 130 got approved and she was given a alien registration #. Can I file as joint return this year to get the deduction? I also applied for a itin # 8 months ago and today I called IRS they said they need to contact us they wont give me any info.

I also called HR Block and guy said we can use the alien registration # to file as joint and get deduction..just wanted to know some of your opinions on this topic. thnx

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The only way to apply for ITIN is with tax returns /u do not do it separately

u  should have filed 1040x to amend last year (if married in 2022) if married by 2022 for adding spouse to joint return and filing form W7 for ITIN

It would help if there was a timeline on profile when u start talking about last year/ this year 

what year did u marry?

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

The only way to apply for ITIN is with tax returns /u do not do it separately

u  should have filed 1040x to amend last year (if married in 2022) if married by 2022 for adding spouse to joint return and filing form W7 for ITIN

It would help if there was a timeline on profile when u start talking about last year/ this year 

what year did u marry?

hi jeanine nice to hear from u

i got married dec 29, 2022...i filed 2023 taxes as MFS but didnt get marriage deduction. 3 months ago 130 was approved and she has a alien registration # now. I called a tax office today and asked if we can use the alien # to get marriage deduction she said YES. and she will also try to amend last year taxes if possible.

I also filed a W7 8-9 months ago and today I called IRS and she told me they cant give me any info on it my wife has to call from morocco!!

I just want to be sure we can use the alien # and file as MFJ to get deduction..I really need it as i am self employed and i owe 33k with freaking IRS so far!!

r u on watsappp?

Timeline
39 minutes ago, Afghanguy said:

hi jeanine nice to hear from u

i got married dec 29, 2022...i filed 2023 taxes as MFS but didnt get marriage deduction. 3 months ago 130 was approved and she has a alien registration # now. I called a tax office today and asked if we can use the alien # to get marriage deduction she said YES. and she will also try to amend last year taxes if possible.

Not sure this person was correct    IRS says

Nov 8, 2014  The alien registration number is not what you use for your taxes. If you can get one, you should get a social security number or a ITIN number.

39 minutes ago, Afghanguy said:

I also filed a W7 8-9 months ago and today I called IRS and she told me they cant give me any info on it my wife has to call from morocco!!

I just want to be sure we can use the alien # and file as MFJ to get deduction..I really need it as i am self employed and i owe 33k with freaking IRS so far!!

r u on watsappp?  just turned it on

it is the wife's W7 asking for ITIN but still the form needs to be attached to a 1040 return

i would amend 2022 

2 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Not sure this person was correct    IRS says

Nov 8, 2014  The alien registration number is not what you use for your taxes. If you can get one, you should get a social security number or a ITIN number.

it is the wife's W7 asking for ITIN but still the form needs to be attached to a 1040 return

i would amend 2022 

Ok so we can use her alien registration # and file MFJ to get marriage deduction for this year and try amended 2023. right?

i dont have proof of W7 i sent it all out to IRS.

2 minutes ago, Afghanguy said:

Ok so we can use her alien registration # and file MFJ to get marriage deduction for this year and try amended 2023. right?

i dont have proof of W7 i sent it all out to IRS.

so then how can i get the marriage deduction if you are saying alien # cant be used...and no update from IRS about the w7 i sent months ago...what should i do..i need the deduction :)

• powerpuff changed the title to Married Filing Separate / Joint? (Merged threads)
Timeline
4 hours ago, Afghanguy said:

so then how can i get the marriage deduction if you are saying alien # cant be used...and no update from IRS about the w7 i sent months ago...what should i do..i need the deduction :)

u need to send the 1040x to amend the 2022 tax returns and file the W7 for the ITIN WITH THOSE RETURNS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.