TonyMacaroni

What are the steps to get a first-time driver's license while pending AOS in Texas?

7 posts in this topic

I'm very confused. I've never had a DL anywhere. It seems like I need to apply for some kind of a "restricted license" to be able to legally practice driving in Texas and then pass a road test. What are the steps of getting that? I tried the DPS scheduler and the closest appointment for the DL is 4 months away pretty much in all offices near me. Can I just walk in somewhere and get a "learner's permit" if I'm over 25 years old?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A quick Google search yielded this seemingly informative page (not official State government):

https://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/apply-license.php

Read it to see if it clarifies things, then perhaps contact them.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

First u must do the following if never had a DL

Additionally, you will need to provide evidence of completion of:

1. Impact Texas Driver (ITD) if you will be taking a driving test for the issuance of your driver license**
  2. A six-hour adult Driver Education course, if you are 18 through 24 years of age  (Does not apply to new residents who are 18 years of age or older and surrendering a valid, unexpired out-of-state driver license

then follow instructions on how to apply

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/driver-license/how-apply-texas-driver-license

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, TonyMacaroni said:

I'm very confused. I've never had a DL anywhere. It seems like I need to apply for some kind of a "restricted license" to be able to legally practice driving in Texas and then pass a road test. What are the steps of getting that? I tried the DPS scheduler and the closest appointment for the DL is 4 months away pretty much in all offices near me. Can I just walk in somewhere and get a "learner's permit" if I'm over 25 years old?

In my area, DPS appoints are always are booked months out.  They do open appointments on a daily basis at about 8:00 to fill any openings for that day.. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

In Texas at 25 years old, you can take the written test and driving test immediately.  That is probably not practical if you have never had a license, so getting a permit/restricted license is probably the way to go.  To get the permit, you have to pass the written exam.  You can do that at the DPS office, or you can enroll in one of the many driver education courses and take the test online (for a fee of course).

Here are the steps you will need to take to obtain a Texas learners permit if you are 25 years of age or older:

1. Gather required documents: You will need to provide proof of identity, proof of residency and proof of insurance. Acceptable forms of identification include a passport, birth certificate, or permanent resident card.
  2. Study for the written test: You will need to pass a written driving test that covers Texas traffic laws and regulations, road signs, and safe driving practices. You can use free study materials and practice tests available right here at NextDoorDriving.com.
  3. Make your learner’s permit appointment with the DPS.
  4. Pass the vision test: You will need to pass a vision test to ensure that you have the minimum visual acuity required to drive safely.
  5. Pass the written test: Once you feel comfortable with the material, you can take the written test at your local Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) office.
  6. Obtain a learners permit: After passing the written test and vision test, you will be issued a Texas learners permit.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As an aside the US Driving Test is super easy. Embarrassingly so.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

20 hours ago, J.M. said:

In Texas at 25 years old, you can take the written test and driving test immediately.  That is probably not practical if you have never had a license, so getting a permit/restricted license is probably the way to go.  To get the permit, you have to pass the written exam.  You can do that at the DPS office, or you can enroll in one of the many driver education courses and take the test online (for a fee of course).

Here are the steps you will need to take to obtain a Texas learners permit if you are 25 years of age or older:

1. Gather required documents: You will need to provide proof of identity, proof of residency and proof of insurance. Acceptable forms of identification include a passport, birth certificate, or permanent resident card.
  2. Study for the written test: You will need to pass a written driving test that covers Texas traffic laws and regulations, road signs, and safe driving practices. You can use free study materials and practice tests available right here at NextDoorDriving.com.
  3. Make your learner’s permit appointment with the DPS.
  4. Pass the vision test: You will need to pass a vision test to ensure that you have the minimum visual acuity required to drive safely.
  5. Pass the written test: Once you feel comfortable with the material, you can take the written test at your local Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) office.
  6. Obtain a learners permit: After passing the written test and vision test, you will be issued a Texas learners permit.

Awesome, thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.