Howard L

K1, Medical: Tips on Preventing Sputum Test Nightmare?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, Filipino beneficiary here. My medical is in about 2 weeks.

What are some exact things I should do to avoid the dreaded sputum test? In general I am taking notes of healthy habits (proper diet, exercise, sleep), but specifically speaking, how do I totally eliminate the risk of being a victim of the sputum test nightmare?

I’ve heard of honey and ginger tea benefits online but would appreciate tips from you guys here instead, especially those who already went through the process. Thank you.

Timeline

I know there is a lot of advice for passing the sputum test given by Filipinos.  The truth is, none of them matter, and none of them will have any effect on the result.  You cannot eliminate the risk of being subjected to sputum testing.  It is based on a chest x-ray, primarily looking for scarring.  If you have ever had a scar on your body, I think you know that drinking honey and ginger tea did not eliminate the scar.  It will also not eliminate scarring on your lungs.  A week or two of "treatment" will not change that.

The best approach for medical is to just be sure you are rested.  That has nothing to do with your chest x-ray, but it will help with the rest of it.  If you happen to be a smoker, stopping that might help a little by reducing inflammation.

I realize the possibility of being subjected to sputum testing is real and dreadful, but it is out of your control.

Honey and ginger tea won't hurt you, so by all means have all you want.  My fiancée said fresh spinach and whole milk was the secret.

Good luck to you.

3 hours ago, Howard L said:

Hello, Filipino beneficiary here. My medical is in about 2 weeks.

What are some exact things I should do to avoid the dreaded sputum test? In general I am taking notes of healthy habits (proper diet, exercise, sleep), but specifically speaking, how do I totally eliminate the risk of being a victim of the sputum test nightmare?

I’ve heard of honey and ginger tea benefits online but would appreciate tips from you guys here instead, especially those who already went through the process. Thank you.

There is nothing you can do to change the results of a chest xray.   

Timeline

Im sad to hear these answers but it’s good to feel it is outside my control. Better than for me to obsess over it thinking it is within my control. Thank you.

Also, if anyone wants to add anything as a sort of advice for my medical, I’d appreciate that too.

Timeline

By the way, as a follow up if its fine, is it true that after that 2 months of being subjected to the sputum test, that you need to get to the US AND get married in only a 4-month time frame? Or how exactly does this work once I arrive in the US?

Timeline

Medical exam validity is 6 months from day 1 of medical.  Your visa expiration date will be the same as the medical expiration date.  The visa expiration date is the last day you can enter the US.  The 90 day clock starts after entry, even if you show up in the US with 1 day remaining on your visa. 

You are partly correct.  If you undergo sputum testing, you will be down to 3-4 months to arrive in the US, but you will still get the full 90 days to get married once you arrive. 

Not sure where anyone would be giving advice on this as it is utter nonsense.  My now husband, on his K1 visa exam tested positive for TB, was then given a six month treatment and because he could not do it in Jakarta at the assigned US Embassy Hospital, he had to wait ONE year after the six month treatment was finished to go back and do the medical again.  Then when he went back to do the medical, because now he had scarring from the TB, they did the sputum test and had to wait 3 months before the results and had the medical results sent to the US Embassy.  To make a long story short, two years later, while in the process of the CR1 visa, once again went to the medical and once again subjected to the sputum test and another 3 month delay for the results.  It's one of those things, if you had it, you will get the sputum test and there is no getting around that.  Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.