Dataunavailable

2 K1 denials to IR1 interview soon, questions

40 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TBoneTX said:

This one line merits enshrinement in the pantheon of All-Time Greatest VJ Posts.

When you say that you won't be allowed inside, I hope that it means the interview, rather than the building itself.  The following advice applies if you're let inside the building:

You, or your wife, should tell the FSN (Foreign Service national, now called LES -- Locally Engaged Staff) who collects the documents that you request that the Chief of the Immigrant Visa Unit be present or on hand and that you be called in to the interview if there's a shred of doubt about the bona fide nature of your marriage.  If you get static, play the USC card:  "Are you a USC?  No?  Well, I am, and because this is our third interview, I insist that the IVU Chief hear me out if there's any problem."

This next applies if you're made to stand outside the building:

Give your U.S. passport to your wife with a note taped to it:  "Vice-Consul:  I'm close by outside the building.  Because it may be helpful toward granting the visa, I encourage you to call me inside for a thorough USC-to-USC face-to-face interview.  In addition, please let me know the name of the IVU Chief.  Thank you.  [signature]."

From now until the interview, repeat to yourself:  "I will not be hosed.  I will not be hosed."  Say it to yourself in front of the mirror, several times daily, with increasing self-belief.  I also recommend violent physical exercise for blowing off tension.

I will let @TBoneTX walk you through …and add only it’s time to fight

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Family said:

I will let @TBoneTX walk you through …and add only it’s time to fight

🤼‍♂️

I just need to word it in a way that comes from myself without sounding like an a hole or that I'm telling them how to do their job. 

Stern and to the point so they know we'll never back down. 

They should already be aware of that from the times they pushed us down and we keep getting back up. 

3 minutes ago, Dataunavailable said:

🤼‍♂️

I just need to word it in a way that comes from myself without sounding like an a hole or that I'm telling them how to do their job. 

They should already be aware of that from the times they pushed us down and we keep getting back up. 

You can literally use @TBoneTX quote for the note . 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Addendum to previous:  The advice from Family and pushbrk is fine, too.  Proceed as you think best.

I find your post a great addition to the advice already give.  

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Dataunavailable said:

🤼‍♂️

Yes, they are aware.  Definitely do not ever refer to anything like their next "play".  That will not get you anywhere good.  You can talk about what you've been through in this process without disrespecting any of the individuals involved.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
23 hours ago, Dataunavailable said:

They focused on her sister/aunt her in the first denial, since we are doing a spousal immediate relative Visa, this should no longer have any bearing correct? And the second was not believing intent to marry

From what you have shared, you have done everything right, so I agree with others that the probability of approval is high.  The previous two K-1 denials may have had something to do with the interviews, maybe her answers were not believable to the officer.  Having a sister and aunt in the USA was likely a red flag.  I suggest that you help your wife to prepare for the upcoming interview so that if she is asked about her family in the USA, she has an answer that is more focused on you and your marriage relationship.  She should know everything about you--past marriages (if any), your children (if any), all of your details including date of birth, place of birth, where you live and have lived in the past, your profession, where you plan on living together, her plans for work, education, starting a family with you, etc.  Practice with her to make sure that she answers with confidence, and that her reason for wanting to live in the USA is to be with you.  Sometimes people get nervous in the interview and the officer interprets this as not being truthful.  Good luck! 

Edited by carmel34

Timeline
1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

CO claim that she did not intend to marry /what did they base that assumption on?

That's what neither of us could ever figure out. She told me all the questions they asked in both interviews, I wrote them down and her responses the same day so it was still fresh in her mind. Nothing stood out to me trying to look at the responses from an outside non bias viewpoint. She asked the consular woman why she was denied a second time at the end of the interview, she was told they don't believe it is real. 

I even went to the embassy in person on a visit and was given the run around when trying to speak with someone. I finally was sent an email the day before my flight left stating, the consular officer determined your fiance did not display adequate intent to marry in the U.S, the consul chief agreed with the finding. 

Every question was given a truthful correct response except one, who owns his apartment, she said, I don't know. In all honesty, I would have even had to look at my lease to know offhand which company owns my apartment if I was just randomly asked. Just seems like a dart at a wall to find one answer that was an I don't know so they could issue a 221g. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, carmel34 said:

From what you have shared, you have done everything right, so I agree with others that the probability of approval is high.  The previous two K-1 denials may have had something to do with the interviews, maybe her answers were not believable to the officer.  Having a sister and aunt in the USA was likely a red flag.  I suggest that you help your wife to prepare for the upcoming interview so that if she is asked about her family in the USA, she has an answer that is more focused on you and your marriage relationship.  She should know everything about you--past marriages (if any), your children (if any), all of your details including date of birth, place of birth, where you live and have lived in the past, your profession, where you plan on living together, her plans for work, education, starting a family with you, etc.  Practice with her to make sure that she answers with confidence, and that her reason for wanting to live in the USA is to be with you.  Sometimes people get nervous in the interview and the officer interprets this as not being truthful.  Good luck! 

She does know everything and we do practice over video calls. It's not so much the questions vs the previous denial stuff that we worry about for them to just use that as an automatic denial. 

If there was something that came away from the denial it was giving us the opportunity to have the full Khmer style wedding in Cambodia. It was an amazing experience and memories we'll have forever. I remember leading what felt like the entire village down the street to her house where they had her waiting, I had to carry this big metal vase thing that got so heavy after about 15 minutes I could barely move my arms. I guess it was an offering the man brings to the home in exchange for the ladies hand in marriage.  Much more memorable than the small wedding we had planned to do here in the states. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
7 hours ago, Dataunavailable said:

That's what neither of us could ever figure out. She told me all the questions they asked in both interviews, I wrote them down and her responses the same day so it was still fresh in her mind. Nothing stood out to me trying to look at the responses from an outside non bias viewpoint. She asked the consular woman why she was denied a second time at the end of the interview, she was told they don't believe it is real. 

I even went to the embassy in person on a visit and was given the run around when trying to speak with someone. I finally was sent an email the day before my flight left stating, the consular officer determined your fiance did not display adequate intent to marry in the U.S, the consul chief agreed with the finding. 

Every question was given a truthful correct response except one, who owns his apartment, she said, I don't know. In all honesty, I would have even had to look at my lease to know offhand which company owns my apartment if I was just randomly asked. Just seems like a dart at a wall to find one answer that was an I don't know so they could issue a 221g. 

I went round and round with immigration too

K1 denied after meeting and spending a month with him and his family/Moroccan woman said she did not like foreigners taking Moroc men out of the country

CR1 denied after spending another 2 trips and 5 months in moroc /another Moroccan CO

IR 1 finally approved /interviewer was a USC 

2009 to 2015   now he is a citizen and we are 14 years married

stay faithful  and God bless u both

Timeline
27 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

I went round and round with immigration too

K1 denied after meeting and spending a month with him and his family/Moroccan woman said she did not like foreigners taking Moroc men out of the country

CR1 denied after spending another 2 trips and 5 months in moroc /another Moroccan CO

IR 1 finally approved /interviewer was a USC 

2009 to 2015   now he is a citizen and we are 14 years married

stay faithful  and God bless u both

That's just insane, it's always sad to hear just how ridiculous this whole process can be. Especially when they tell you they don't like a foreigner taking men away. Only in the immigration process can we humans be treated this way with no way to get any sort of over ruling on a decision. That's good to hear the IR1 was approved after the second time. I can imagine you felt the exact same way as I do now, during that time. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
11 hours ago, Dataunavailable said:

the consular officer determined your fiance did not display adequate intent to marry in the U.S, the consul chief agreed with the finding

The IVU Chief must sign off on all decisions.  The consular staffs are on 2-year rotations, so maybe you'll have a new CO and new IV Chief.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Dataunavailable said:

My wife was approved this morning.

Such wonderful news!  :dance: 

4 minutes ago, Dataunavailable said:

This long arduous process is done, at least the parts dealing with the embassy and what not. 🥳😭 Still feeling shock, not yet reality. 

Your feeling is very natural.  Your words describe exactly how I felt after overcoming our own hosing in Guayaquil.  If it's consolation to you, I later found it a relief, in comparison, to deal with USCIS again.  With her visa, you'll have far less to face in the future.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Dataunavailable said:

Still feeling shock

Addendum:  There's nothing in life quite like having to triumph over a consulate.  It will be interesting to hear your analysis of your own emotional state (if you wish to provide it) as you begin to recover.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.