Dataunavailable

2 K1 denials to IR1 interview soon, questions

40 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

As some are aware from past posts over the years, my now wife and I have had 2 K1s denied at embassy level and are now a short time away from her IR1 interview. 

One K1 was focusing on her family here with a generic 221g and the second was me being told by email from the embassy she did not show adequate intent to marry in the U.S. 

Questions are basically for brevity and peace of mind, since I'm leaving in a week to go over and be there during the interview period, I know I can't go inside, but she'll have my passport. 

What if any, of the previous K1 denial factors can be used as a basis of judgment on the IR1? IR1 as we have passed two years of marriage when she will enter the U.S. 

They focused on her sister/aunt her in the first denial, since we are doing a spousal immediate relative Visa, this should no longer have any bearing correct? And the second was not believing intent to marry, which we overcame through a marriage in her country. 

I guess I'm just asking since we've been fighting this process since 2018 as my mind always feels like we never have enough to show them our legitimacy. 

401k beneficiary

Life insurance beneficiary 

Joint credit card she uses

Letters from employer about adding to health insurance on her arrival

Less impact but have none the less

Notarized letters from my family stating awareness of our marriage/relationship

Proof of visits and consistent daily video communication

I'm not sure honestly what else can be done to show we are legitimate of the worst happens. But I have come to terms of knowing I will give up U.S citizenship if I have to, to be with her and start our family. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Dashinka said:

I agree, I don't think either of these would be an issue now.

I think the proof of ongoing visits particularly after your wedding, and the fact that you are outside the consulate awaiting the outcome of the interview will be positives in your case.

Good Luck!

Thanks. Was fine most of the time after submitting, now that we're just a few weeks away from a decision, the stress and self questioning if we have enough, has been eating at me. I personally think it's just worse with the two previous K1 denials, so I'm stuck with that doubt of is anything enough? Crossing fingers the nearly decade long fight to be together is over. 🤞

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

How much time have your spent together in person, before and after the marriage.  How many trips before and after?

The evidence you listed is all about efforts YOU made.  Previously, they questioned HER intent, not yours.  Yes, anything that made them think her intentions were primarily to get to the USA, will still be considered but your marriage and more time together in person will be mitigating factors.  Are there some things about what SHE has done to show HER relationship is bona fide (on her part) that you haven't mentioned?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
26 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

How much time have your spent together in person, before and after the marriage.  How many trips before and after?

Two visits prior to marriage, about a month and a half total in 2018 and 2019. They had the covid lockdown from 2020 until 2022 when Cambodia reopened to tourists. Marriage visit was an entire month in 2022, went when Covid was still affecting everything, and quarantines were still commonplace. But we wanted to get married and decided it was worth the risk, 2023 I should have visited but I was saving my vacation for the interview which we thought would be before year end since we got DQ in Nov 2023. 

Total time around 3 months to date and I'll be there for another month, leaving next week. 

1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

Are there some things about what SHE has done to show HER relationship is bona fide (on her part) that you haven't mentioned

Besides staying together during this entire process we've dealt with, it's the personal things that show me her love is real and to me those are irreplaceable. She could of left anytime after the first or second denial, the lockdown period when we didn't know what would happen or when the world would essentially reopen. But we stayed together strong the entire time. If that's what you're asking about in a way. 

You need to channel those nerves into a healthy dose of anger. You have survived 2 denials and have more bonafides than majority of long distance marriages. 

You will be approved…I suggest you growl and show some fangs. ..such as drafting a short (notarized ) strong letter addressed to Consular Officer to be handed in with your passport at interview.

Perhaps,  “ It has taken six years …I am here in support of Mrs My Wife. I will not be hosed” 

@TBoneTX  and others may have suggestions for drafting a loud , no cursy word roaring statement.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Dataunavailable said:

Two visits prior to marriage, about a month and a half total in 2018 and 2019. They had the covid lockdown from 2020 until 2022 when Cambodia reopened to tourists. Marriage visit was an entire month in 2022, went when Covid was still affecting everything, and quarantines were still commonplace. But we wanted to get married and decided it was worth the risk, 2023 I should have visited but I was saving my vacation for the interview which we thought would be before year end since we got DQ in Nov 2023. 

Total time around 3 months to date and I'll be there for another month, leaving next week. 

Besides staying together during this entire process we've dealt with, it's the personal things that show me her love is real and to me those are irreplaceable. She could of left anytime after the first or second denial, the lockdown period when we didn't know what would happen or when the world would essentially reopen. But we stayed together strong the entire time. If that's what you're asking about in a way. 

Your time together will probably carry the day, but I was asking about things she's done that would be clear evidence to a Consular Officer, not just to you.  I'm optimistic.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
45 minutes ago, Family said:

You need to channel those nerves into a healthy dose of anger. You have survived 2 denials and have more bonafides than majority of long distance marriages. 

You will be approved…I suggest you growl and show some fangs. ..such as drafting a short (notarized ) strong letter addressed to Consular Officer to be handed in with your passport at interview.

Perhaps,  “ It has taken six years …I am here in support of Mrs My Wife. I will not be hosed” 

@TBoneTX  and others may have suggestions for drafting a loud , no cursy word roaring statement.

Of course I'm upset, angry with the way the current system is, trying to stay positive while having stress is tough. Avoiding getting in to the political side, I'll just say we all are fully aware of what is happening on the borders currently, we're all not blind to it. And while it's on us to affirm our legitimacy, it still feels like a punch to the gut when you fight for so long and see what is happening. 

While I would love to give my worded feelings to them, would it really help anything?, The stress is already enough on a daily basis and I try to stay as positive as I can just for the mental health side of things and to stay strong for my wife. But I'd be wholly dishonest if I said I'm never angry about the situation, I think I'm most upset about the time that is gone. She never got to meet my father in person before he passed away, there is just things in life that happen that we can not control, it's time that you can not replace. In cases of immigration, it can be years. And many here have dealt with it the same as I have.

It's sad as born citizen when I've already had to tell my job that if she is denied, that I'll be back to tie up loose ends, sell my belongings, put my two weeks in and give up my citizenship just so my wife and I can begin our family together. 

Sorry, I guess you can see with that last paragraph, that I do have some frustration inside about the immigration process. 

Timeline

If you include a letter, make it something positive about your relationship, including what she has done to contribute to your mutual happiness.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

Your time together will probably carry the day, but I was asking about things she's done that would be clear evidence to a Consular Officer, not just to you.  I'm optimistic.

I wholly appreciate your optimism and straight to the point no bs way of getting across what you're saying. We'll know the outcome in around a week and a half. 

12 minutes ago, Dataunavailable said:

Of course I'm upset, angry with the way the current system is, trying to stay positive while having stress is tough. Avoiding getting in to the political side, I'll just say we all are fully aware of what is happening on the borders currently, we're all not blind to it. And while it's on us to affirm our legitimacy, it still feels like a punch to the gut when you fight for so long and see what is happening. 

While I would love to give my worded feelings to them, would it really help anything?, The stress is already enough on a daily basis and I try to stay as positive as I can just for the mental health side of things and to stay strong for my wife. But I'd be wholly dishonest if I said I'm never angry about the situation, I think I'm most upset about the time that is gone. She never got to meet my father in person before he passed away, there is just things in life that happen that we can not control, it's time that you can not replace. In cases of immigration, it can be years. And many here have dealt with it the same as I have.

It's sad as born citizen when I've already had to tell my job that if she is denied, that I'll be back to tie up loose ends, sell my belongings, put my two weeks in and give up my citizenship just so my wife and I can begin our family together. 

Sorry, I guess you can see with that last paragraph, that I do have some frustration inside about the immigration process. 

@Dataunavailable I have been following your journey and am rooting for you! Your tenacity after the two denials is amazing! If the consulate rejects this third attempt I would be very surprised. 

But, why would you have to give up your US citizenship? Do you have a second citizenship you can fall back on?

I know several USCs who live in Cambodia and have for many, many years. Cambodia is an amazing place... but hopefully, you'll just continue visiting there after your wife moves to the US with you. And you don't have to relocate there permanently!. But, another thought is if you are denied a third time- after living together in Cambodia for a few years, that should be incredible proof of your very strong relationship. 

When is the interview so I can think of you that day?

1 hour ago, Dataunavailable said:

I hear you. I may have oversimplified my statement…a litany of anger /frustration , nor any amount of righteous indignation is not what I meant.

I do however believe, you are facing unusual/out of the ordinary circumstances…and you need to put them on notice that you are ready to do battle …in the legal sense. 

Though my one liner example may appear silly , it acknowledges they skewered with you for 6 years, you are legit married and NOt going away quietly if delay is thei next play

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Addendum to previous:  The advice from Family and pushbrk is fine, too.  Proceed as you think best.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
50 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

When you say that you won't be allowed inside, I hope that it means the interview, rather than the building itself.  The following advice applies if you're let inside the building:

For the time being in Cambodia, only the beneficiary is allowed inside the building, allowed one person if a minor child or person with disability. So I do have to wait outside. They used to allow the petitioner inside from the consulate reviews I've read. Unfortunately they changed it now. 

54 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Give your U.S. passport to your wife with a note taped to it:  "Vice-Consul:  I'm close by outside the building.  Because it may be helpful toward granting the visa, I encourage you to call me inside for a thorough USC-to-USC face-to-face interview.  In addition, please let me know the name of the IVU Chief.  Thank you.  [signature]

Good idea, I was debating what to write from @Family suggestion. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.