Devint

Daughter is going through AOS

15 posts in this topic

Hi. This site helped me on my journey from canada a few years ago and I need others experiences again....My daughter moved down with me from Toronto and we filed the adjustment of status in June '23. She's already been through the medical exam (Oct '23) and we've heard nothing since. My problem is : she's accepted an offer to attend university in London England this fall and I'm worried it won't happen by then. Has anybody been through something similar. Can we .are a request for her to leave without destroying her application? Thanks

7 minutes ago, Devint said:

Hi. This site helped me on my journey from canada a few years ago and I need others experiences again....My daughter moved down with me from Toronto and we filed the adjustment of status in June '23. She's already been through the medical exam (Oct '23) and we've heard nothing since. My problem is : she's accepted an offer to attend university in London England this fall and I'm worried it won't happen by then. Has anybody been through something similar. Can we .are a request for her to leave without destroying her application? Thanks

How old is she? Are you an American citizen?  What visa did she have to move to the USA? Does she intend to live in the USA?

Edited by Lemonslice

6 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

How old is she? Are you an American citizen?  What visa did she have to move to the USA? Does she intend to live in the USA?

She just turned 18 and fully intends to live and work in the US after university. She entered on a visitor visa and we adjusted her status after 90 days. I am not a citizen yet - my wife is the petitioner. Everything was moving along so swiftly and ever since we mailed back her medical it's been radio silence. 

3 minutes ago, Devint said:

She just turned 18 and fully intends to live and work in the US after university.

How long is her programme? LPR can only take trips no longer than 1 year, unless applies for reentry permit which is valid for 2 years. It can be renewed, but USCIS may conclude the residence was abandoned.

26 minutes ago, Devint said:

we filed the adjustment of status in June '23. She's already been through the medical exam (Oct '23) and we've heard nothing since.

AOS can take 12-18 months. Add more time if RFEs are issued by USCIS.

It doesn't seem like this was well planned.

6 minutes ago, OldUser said:

AOS can take 12-18 months. Add more time if RFEs are issued by USCIS.

It doesn't seem like this was well planned.

Yeah. The England thing wasn't expected at all. I just find it strange that it's taken so long after the medical. When I did mine it was almost an immediate end to the process.

does she have advance parole ? did you apply for her last year with AOS package?

for the medical, do u send it to service center or field office? (usually) if you send it to field office there's possibility it will be process faster. where is the field office? no fix timeset for RFE process unfortunately. 

whats the plan if she receive her GC? how long school in london? u might need to apply reentry permit? but theres for another time once she receive her GC

look at the possibility ( just information) if she can push back her start date by 6 months or a year at the school. always good to know now and decide which best route to navigate

Edited by Verrou

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, Devint said:

Yeah. The England thing wasn't expected at all. I just find it strange that it's taken so long after the medical. When I did mine it was almost an immediate end to the process.

We got an RFE for medical in April last year. Submitted it and crickets since. It sadly happens. 

5 hours ago, Devint said:

But was yours an entry on a visa?  Instead of petitioning her, she entered the US and is adjusting status, which is a convenient way to bypass the long queue in Montreal.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
7 hours ago, SalishSea said:

But was yours an entry on a visa?  Instead of petitioning her, she entered the US and is adjusting status, which is a convenient way to bypass the long queue in Montreal.

This post is unnecessarily judgmental without knowing the circumstances. 

Mod reminder:

Please remember to keep replies concise and to the point. 

Thank you for understanding,

Unlockable

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

8 hours ago, vanessalga said:

8 hours ago, vanessalga said:

It was intended as a way to explain why it might take longer.   And it is true- many of the reasons for delays in the AOS process are not present in consular processing.   OP made that choice, it’s a trade-off.

23 hours ago, Devint said:

Process for AOS and Immigrant Visa are different… 

For AOS: medical is valid for 2 years (think about that… they believe it could take up to 2 years to issue the visa).
 Contrast this with the medical for IV (only valid for 6 months)- you have 6 months to enter the country from date of medical. Many members who undergo AP after interview have to complete the medical again if it expires… 

4 hours ago, Redro said:

Process for AOS and Immigrant Visa are different… 

For AOS: medical is valid for 2 years (think about that… they believe it could take up to 2 years to issue the visa).
 Contrast this with the medical for IV (only valid for 6 months)- you have 6 months to enter the country from date of medical. Many members who undergo AP after interview have to complete the medical again if it expires… 

Issue the GREEN CARD not the visa for AOS 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.