ZephyrMoon

Met two times K1

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Cuba

Could be challenging

It is not far

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

22 hours ago, ZephyrMoon said:

Has anyone been approved a K1 after meeting twice? Some period around 11 days total. I’m really stressed out I don’t think that I can afford more time any soon 😭 He’s from Cuba

Some have been approved after just ONE visit. But approval of the I129F and approval of the visa are two different things. Your I129F petition might be approved but they might not issue a visa if the process takes 2+ years and do not meet while waiting. You can file now but I would plan to visit in the future. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

"Face time" (time spent together in person) is the chief way for the consular officer to validate a bona fide relationship.  You can pass the USCIS petition phase by meeting once within 2 years before filing, but the consular phase is a separate matter.  As recommended, try to meet again, either before filing the petition or between filing and the visa interview.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
On 3/11/2024 at 12:02 PM, ZephyrMoon said:

Has anyone been approved a K1 after meeting twice? Some period around 11 days total. I’m really stressed out I don’t think that I can afford more time any soon 😭 He’s from Cuba

Should be fine with just one visit. The waiting game is a marathon not a sprint. Just remember to drink one "pocillo: at the time. You will be ok.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

You can get a K1 approval with one "in person" meeting at the airport for 1 minute before you reboard and fly home. The meeting doesn't have to be substantial to pass the USCIS i-129f "in person" meeting requirements.  Additionally USCIS does not require you to prove you have a real relationship with the initial i-129F application packet. This is a mistake many people make in my opinion because they get so hung up on proving their relationship is real versus reading the directions carefully and providing everything they asked for exactly and nothing more. 

On personal note - You should really reconsider your path where you want to move forward with someone you have only met in real life 11 days total. I also have a relationship with a Cuban. I met her randomly on my first trip to Cuba in 2017 and I wasn't looking for love but a friendship formed from a spark I noticed. We remained online friends for 5+ years and during Covid a romance developed online. I traveled to see her again in Sept 2021 during the height of covid which at the time all flights from the Americas were canceled. I had to fly from NY to Spain, and then from Spain to Havana, and then had to be locked for 5 days in a "quarantine hotel". I then spent the next month with her. After that I traveled to see her for 1.5 weeks in Nov 2021, 2 weeks in January 2022, 2 weeks in March 2022, 1 weekend in may 2022, we both traveled to Trinidad and Tobago for two weeks in June 2022, and then I came back for a week in July 2022, and then two weeks in September 2022, and then a weekend in Oct 2022, 1.5 weeks in Nov 2022, and then two weeks in Jan 2023, and finally she arrived to the states on April 7th 2023 on i-134a. Why am I telling you all this? This is important - Even with all of this in person visit, it's a huge change going from "full time long distance romance" to "full time 24/7 in person living together". We talked often about how our relationship would change when we were finally living together full time and it did, it was as we thought it would be. In my situation the transition has been quite successful. We are still in love and we are living a good life together, however I'd be lying if I said there aren't difficult times where we need to work through relationships. A long distance foreign relationship is no different than any other relationship, the only difference is you aren't spending enough time together in person to really discover the potentially real deal breakers. 

I'd highly encourage you to find some way to see your partner more. Borrow money from friends or family if that's what you need to do.... but without spending substantial time together you are really sitting yourself up for failure and heartache. 

Edited by wazzujoel

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

As long as you have met once in the past 2 years you meet the requirement. Just make sure to submit plenty of evidence to prove your relationship. Plenty of couples have been approved in situations like yours. As long as you don’t have any other possible red flags like large age gap etc you should be ok. Just keep in mind its at the officers discretion so be prepared, and submit all required documentation. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.