tburton67

K-1 Beneficiary travel after approval but before move to USA

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello all - 

My fiancée had her interview today and she killed it and was approved. She lives in Kenya and is planning on visiting family and friends once she gets her visa and passport back. One of her friends she'd like to visit lives in Uganda, which only requires a passport to travel to from Kenya. My question is whether there is any chance her having her K-1 visa might pose a problem when trying to enter or exit Uganda. My gut feeling is 'no' and that it will be fine, but the last thing I want is for her to get to the border and have issues exiting or entering Kenya. I searched and couldn't really find much to address this particular issue where the beneficiary wants to exit and re-enter their home country prior to traveling to the US after approval. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The only time I can think it could come in is that some countries give you a pass transiting through if you have a US visa. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, tburton67 said:

Hello all - 

My fiancée had her interview today and she killed it and was approved. She lives in Kenya and is planning on visiting family and friends once she gets her visa and passport back. One of her friends she'd like to visit lives in Uganda, which only requires a passport to travel to from Kenya. My question is whether there is any chance her having her K-1 visa might pose a problem when trying to enter or exit Uganda. My gut feeling is 'no' and that it will be fine, but the last thing I want is for her to get to the border and have issues exiting or entering Kenya. I searched and couldn't really find much to address this particular issue where the beneficiary wants to exit and re-enter their home country prior to traveling to the US after approval. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Why would having a US visa ever be a problem?  That makes no sense.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
11 hours ago, SalishSea said:

Why would having a US visa ever be a problem?  That makes no sense.

That was my first thought as well when she asked, but rather than just tell her that I figured I'd get input from others who have been through the process first. I'd rather ask what some might see as a silly question than tell her the wrong thing.

The only real problem I see if she loses the passport on this trip or Uganda officials mess up her passport (put stamp on US visa, damage passport accidentally etc).

That's all. Other than that I don't think Uganda is in the same list as Cuba, Iran, Syria et al.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

There will be no issues at all. 

My legit knowledge as a TA

✈️ Certified Travel Professional / Owner of two travel companies (Greece & USA) - Contact me for any travel related questions or Join my Travel Hub Info Group

March 2020 - Met / Started dating LDR

October 2020 - Met in person

December 2020 - Decided to get engaged/married
May 2021 - K1 filed

December 2021 - Travelled to the states on ESTA

June 2022 - K1 approval

September 2022 - NVC case number

October 2022 - Case sent to the embassy

November 2022 - Postponed interview for 1 year - Couldn't leave country yet due to work obligations

November 2022 - Travelled to the states on ESTA - 2nd time

September 2023 - Resumed case / took medical

October 2023 - Embessy interview - Approved

December 2023 - Arrived at the states

February 2024 - Married

March 2024 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

March 2024 - Biometrics 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Like someone stated above, the only issue would be if something happens to the passport or if the visa page gets damaged.  I remember when i got my K1 visa I put it in a ziplock bag and stashed it in a fireproof safe. Looking back I realize it was a bit overkill but I wasn't taking any chances 🤣

Always lead with love ❤️ 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.