Edwin.

Same Sex Relationship with my Fiancé in Morocco

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 hours ago, RJandHamid said:

I've been following visa cases at the Casablanca consulate for several years now and I've known a handful of same sex couples who successfully received K-1 visas. Everyone I spoke with said they were actually surprised by how kind and understanding the consular staff were. I haven't seen same sex couples try for a spousal visa in Morocco (probably because the online marriage option is still fairly new and I think getting married in a 3rd country and then returning to Morocco can be potentially risky), but that doesn't mean it hasn't possibly happened. But like everyone has already said, you are going to need to meet this person at least once, I don't think you are going to find a way around this requirement. 

Agree

First thank u for your service

don't try online marriage  if u can not meet after and consummate the marriage in Morocco/that is a definite requirement    Utah zoom is the marriage Immigration  accepts that i know about 

you do need to meet 

without knowing how much annual time off u have (2.5 days per # of years in service)  and where u r stationed,  it may be, at this time,  hard to get to Moroc

U may need to continue the relationship as it  and accumulate enough time to fly in and out of Moroc to meet in person to file the K1

I would think K1 is the best way to go for Moroc

He can try for tourist visa to meet with u but they are difficult for a single man in moroc to get but its worth  a try

U say u met his family and he met yours ??? u mean online meetings?  It still would be very important  to have photos of u with Mroroccan family to show they approve of the relationship as it is for any K1 or CR1 at the Casa embassy

I don't usually advise K1 over CR1 as the bene can not work till AOS which begs the question "Where are u stationed and how would he interview for the AOS process if not in the US?   What branch of service?  as it could mean u are stationed on ship or out of country?  Even my Marine Corp son was deployed to a Navy ship and the wife could not go. As Military you need to think past the K1  issued visa and how u will handle the remaining process(es)

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
28 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Agree

First thank u for your service

don't try online marriage  if u can not meet after and consummate the marriage in Morocco/that is a definite requirement    Utah zoom is the marriage Immigration  accepts that i know about 

you do need to meet 

without knowing how much annual time off u have (2.5 days per # of years in service)  and where u r stationed,  it may be, at this time,  hard to get to Moroc

U may need to continue the relationship as it  and accumulate enough time to fly in and out of Moroc to meet in person to file the K1

I would think K1 is the best way to go for Moroc

He can try for tourist visa to meet with u but they are difficult for a single man in moroc to get but its worth  a try

U say u met his family and he met yours ??? u mean online meetings?  It still would be very important  to have photos of u with Mroroccan family to show they approve of the relationship as it is for any K1 or CR1 at the Casa embassy

I don't usually advise K1 over CR1 as the bene can not work till AOS which begs the question "Where are u stationed and how would he interview for the AOS process if not in the US?   What branch of service?  as it could mean u are stationed on ship or out of country?  Even my Marine Corp son was deployed to a Navy ship and the wife could not go. As Military you need to think past the K1  issued visa and how u will handle the remaining process(es)

Thank you for the advice. I’m in my last few months to a year in the Navy. I’m stationed in Jacksonville but own my house in Orlando. Which is like 2 - 2 1/2 hours from each other. There is a USCIS office on base in Jacksonville and I believe one in Orlando. I’m thinking about applying for the Navy Jag lawyers because they have a program with civilian lawyers that help with immigration. 

Yes we have met each others families and I have screenshots and screen recordings of us meeting. 

The reason we haven’t been able to meet in person as of yet is because I was stationed at certain places and they wouldn’t allow me to fly to Morocco because of it’s laws and also due to family loss.  I finally have some days on the books, that I would be able to fly to Morocco or somewhere else but the problem is, I’m getting a medical retirement due to a back injury and they are forcing me to stay local. So when I say I’m in my last few months of my contract, it was originally supposed to end November 8th 2024 but now this process I’m in, it takes away that date and I get out when the VA makes their final decision. 

I am thankful for everyone’s help, advice and support, I’m thinking about just taking leave and just going to meet him like in the Bahamas or something, get married online, consummate the marriage and then have the meeting requirement met. 

I just think the spousal visa is better in the long run because he can work immediately but would the embassy be that bad with the spousal visa

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Edwin. said:

Thank you for the advice. I’m in my last few months to a year in the Navy. I’m stationed in Jacksonville but own my house in Orlando. Which is like 2 - 2 1/2 hours from each other. There is a USCIS office on base in Jacksonville and I believe one in Orlando. I’m thinking about applying for the Navy Jag lawyers because they have a program with civilian lawyers that help with immigration. 

Yes we have met each others families and I have screenshots and screen recordings of us meeting. 

The reason we haven’t been able to meet in person as of yet is because I was stationed at certain places and they wouldn’t allow me to fly to Morocco because of it’s laws and also due to family loss.  I finally have some days on the books, that I would be able to fly to Morocco or somewhere else but the problem is, I’m getting a medical retirement due to a back injury and they are forcing me to stay local. So when I say I’m in my last few months of my contract, it was originally supposed to end November 8th 2024 but now this process I’m in, it takes away that date and I get out when the VA makes their final decision. 

I am thankful for everyone’s help, advice and support, I’m thinking about just taking leave and just going to meet him like in the Bahamas or something, get married online, consummate the marriage and then have the meeting requirement met. 

I just think the spousal visa is better in the long run because he can work immediately but would the embassy be that bad with the spousal visa

Meet in Bahamas if he can secure a visa from the island for initial meeting

them marry on a 2nd visit

Casa does not like marrying on 1st visit

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You said you have not met anyone, you have not met him nor his family.

First things first. Get a few visits in, by all means meet his family, see how it goes.

its important to prove the Moroccan family agrees and supports the union especially his mom

and u plan to fly to Bahamas???  why not Moroc?

Back injury makes all u do hard but doesn't prevent flying

Spouse visa or K1 will take about 18 +/- years so you can't hurry the process thru online marriage 

you plan to be out of military by then so him working will not be as important 

immigration does accept vetern's disability or SSDI but check the provety guideline limits for sponsorship

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

its important to prove the Moroccan family agrees and supports the union especially his mom

and u plan to fly to Bahamas???  why not Moroc?

Back injury makes all u do hard but doesn't prevent flying

Spouse visa or K1 will take about 18 +/- years so you can't hurry the process thru online marriage 

you plan to be out of military by then so him working will not be as important 

immigration does accept vetern's disability or SSDI but check the provety guideline limits for sponsorship

Yeah no the back injury doesn’t prevent me from flying but I’m in a process called medical board and you have to sign paperwork saying you will stay local or be punished. 

So that’s why I was thinking the Bahamas because it’s not local but it’s closer than Morocco. I would love to go to Morocco. But I don’t want to risk anything by going further than I should be. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Edwin. said:

Yeah no the back injury doesn’t prevent me from flying but I’m in a process called medical board and you have to sign paperwork saying you will stay local or be punished. 

So that’s why I was thinking the Bahamas because it’s not local but it’s closer than Morocco. I would love to go to Morocco. But I don’t want to risk anything by going further than I should be. 

Even flying to Bahamas would affect an order to stay local and your disability claim/don't mess with it

Remain faithful and keep communication open and fly to meet after the claim is settled 

Basically K1 or CR1 you face the same need(s) we all do to prove the relationship is real  

Meeting and time spent together to really know a person is a big factor for the Casa embassy  for all couples

Use the search bar above (on right ) and inquiry about other MENA countries and members going thru the process /I remember one one Benin and anther from Egypt / check their posts,  timelines and embassy reviews 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
23 hours ago, Edwin. said:

Now since we are both gay males and me being in the military with travel restrictions, It’s been difficult to just fly to Morocco and other countries due to their culture which I want to respect fully and then have trouble traveling to accepting countries due to my job in the military and the log process of routing up a special request chit to everyone in my chain of command. We talk all day, video call a lot, he has met my family and I’ve met his nieces and nephews. 

Can you show me where the military indicates that you can't travel to Morocco "and other countries" on your own personal vacation? It's not like he lives in North Korea? 

I've never heard of any restrictions based on a same sex relationship and if that's the case it would be good to have a valid US source to back it up

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.