LynnSunshine

Domicile and Proof of Income while living in Canada

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Just now, LynnSunshine said:

Sure, if we had loads of money to throw around. If I could afford movers I wouldn't be doing this process myself at all – I would hire an immigration lawyer.  

Sometimes we simply need to face the facts of life as they are.  Seems harsh, but that's life.  Seems I got your attention.  You would be wise to USE the energy created by that attention, to get with the program.

Not secret to understanding these forms and instructions, is to read carefully, interpret literally, and respond accurately.  Do not interpret "conveniently" or "assume".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, LynnSunshine said:

Great, thanks for the info.  We're already a step ahead with one thing at least... with the checking account. We've had a US based bank account since 2018.  

If you bank at RBC or TD, they have comprehensive cross border banking packages.  Since it doesn't sound like DH has a US credit card, I'd probably look at getting one based off of your Canadian credit with one of these major banks.  I'd assume you have an ITIN as well if DH has been doing his taxes, so that can be associated to a credit card account in place of a SSN until you get one to really start building US credit.  It's challenging to do anything south of the Canadian border without a credit card and a credit history.  If hubs does qualify for a US CC through that US bank where the bank account is, get one there, too.  

I'd also sign up for Credit Karma and look at your scores.  You'll want to try and bump em up as fast as you can.  It's a bit of a shock to the system when you go from having credit to not.  I'd also say keep a Canadian account or 2 alive, too.  I ended up having to move back to Canada with my kids for 18mo while we were going through the process and I was extremely lucky I still had great credit in Canada.  It allowed me to easily rent a house and buy a car without a big headache.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The sooner we understand, this process IS a life lesson, and that harsh realities must be faced, the sooner we can finally move forward effectively and successfully.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline
17 hours ago, LynnSunshine said:

Really? It's necessary to be rude?

QUIT assuming that I haven't read instructions. Just because I have read them does NOT mean I understand them. Isn't that what this forum is for, to get help with understanding the very complicated US immigration process?

You are the exact reason why I was scared to post on here. I have read A LOT of information about the immigration process.

I immigrated my husband to Canada in 2010, I have been through the hard work and reading countless instructions. US immigration forms are horrible and confusing.   

Try being kind next time.

People can be a bit blunt or harsh on here. BUT it is often times necessary. The US immigration process and those that work in it (COs, CBP officers, etc.) can also be harsh and blunt. It is better to hear it on this forum than to hear it from an interviewing officer when it is too late to do anything. People could always be nicer sure, but in the end there is a lot of experience on this forum -- just take the advice and don't take it personal. 

Also immigrating is an expensive process that requires sacrifice - it takes all the normal time and money that normal moving takes, plus another 200%+. You say you can't pay movers...that you can't move alone....that you can't ask a friend or family to co-sponsor...that your husband won't be able to get vacation time. At somepoint you will have to do one or several of those options. This also needs to be considered when deciding to move and immigrate in the first place.

Don't worry we all agree and we all wish the process was easier, cheaper, didn't require living apart from our spouses, etc.....there is total agreement. But it just isn't and therefore we all have sacrificed. I do wish you the best and I am sure you will figure it all out! 

Engaged: 2016-11-07

K-1 Visa Process
I-129F NOA1: 2016-12-05
I-129F NOA2: 2017-05-05
Interview Date: 2017-07-14 (Approved!)  

Married: 2017-08-08

AOS Process

I-485/I-131/I-765 NOA 1 : 2017-08-26

AOS Interview: 2017-12-08 (recommended for approval) 

Received Two Year Green Card: 2017-12-16

Moved back to Chile: 2019-09-01 

Abandoned Green Card: 2020-08-17 

IR-1 Visa Process

I-130 Filed Electronically and Online Reciept Notice: 2023-06-04 

NOA1 Recieved in Mail (with recieved date as 06-04-2023): 2023-06-10

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.