Elle84

N-400 - how much time between interview letter and actual interview?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I was in your exact same spot last summer. Only difference being I was in Columbus. I purchased my tickets July 7th to fly on the 16th and I kept my trip short (two weeks). On my 40th birthday, July 12th, I found out I was scheduled for my N400 interview, which was on August 29th. So roughly about 45ish days, give or take. It all worked out perfectly.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
On 1/3/2024 at 9:48 AM, Beth & Achraf said:

We filed 11/15/2023 and in Houston also, Biometrics was re-used also, and just waiting for interview letter and or on line updates

Nice! 3 days after me! We can be waiting buddies! 

Timeline
On 1/4/2024 at 7:47 AM, Rocio0010 said:

I was in your exact same spot last summer. Only difference being I was in Columbus. I purchased my tickets July 7th to fly on the 16th and I kept my trip short (two weeks). On my 40th birthday, July 12th, I found out I was scheduled for my N400 interview, which was on August 29th. So roughly about 45ish days, give or take. It all worked out perfectly.

awesome, it worked perfectly for you! I had actually read a thread about your journey before I posted mine!

and fun fact, my husband's parents are from Argentina! :)

Timeline

you guyssss!!!

Just logged into my myUSCIS now and guess what... INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!! February 12th at 8:10 AM!!

Now to study the heck out of those civics and history questions... I started casually having hubs make quizzes with them to me but didn't actually study-study sooo... time to get to work lol. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/9/2024 at 10:00 AM, Elle84 said:

you guyssss!!!

Just logged into my myUSCIS now and guess what... INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!! February 12th at 8:10 AM!!

Now to study the heck out of those civics and history questions... I started casually having hubs make quizzes with them to me but didn't actually study-study sooo... time to get to work lol. 

Good luck today! 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
3 hours ago, mam521 said:

Good luck today! 

Thank you! 

I had the interview this morning at 8:10 AM. In case I didn't mention it earlier in the thread, my application was within the 3-year rule (spouse of US citizen). My I-751 had been approved last summer and I have been having my 10-year green card since July.

I passed the civics and English test with flying colors. The officer then asked me questions from my application and we made some updates. She was very impressed that I knew (in detail) what the Oath of allegiance is about. She then asked me to show our current lease, a 2024 bank account statement, and car insurance, which I had all with me. She then asked if I have a long-form car insurance and I said I only have what I gave her (which was the insurance card with both our names on it). Then she asked to see our son's birth certificate, which I also had. She then asked what other documents I had with me and she didn't want anything of what I listed (2020, 2021, 2022 tax transcripts - since we haven't yet filed 2023, joint car loan from 2021, older leases, older bank account and credit card statements), she did say yes to me showing her our driver license photos showing both of us having the same residence address (our residence address is different than our physical address: residence address is at my FIL's house, physical address is the one we actually live at but both are joint of course.) 

At the end she said that I passed the English and civics test and that the interview all went well, but that she is having some technical difficulties in the system that it's not letting her stamp the approval. (she did do a lot of typing and clicking on her computer before saying that, so I could tell she had been trying to get it through). So she handed me the N-652 form with "A decision cannot be made yet about your application" (no written detail about why, I only have what she said verbally about the technical difficulties). She also said that I will receive my oath scheduling letter within 30 days and she gave me details about how the oath ceremony will go (no guests and about 2 hours total time, if scheduled at the same location as the field office I interviewed at, as it's a small ceremony venue, or, guests allowed and about 4-5 hours total time, if scheduled at the other ceremony location which is a school, dress formally, etc.)

Our case is strong and we have tons of evidence so I'm not worried about that (including I-751 approved in record time with no interview), I'm just disappointed being stuck in this limbo (which I know from a thread here that can last anywhere from a day to over a year). My status in myUSCIS still says  "Interview was scheduled" sooo... I guess now we wait :). 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Elle84 said:

Thank you! 

.... lol never mind, UPDATE: OATH CEREMONY WILL BE SCHEDULED!! We placed you in line for your oath ceremony and will send you a notice for Receipt Number XXXX, with the date, time, and location of your oath ceremony. You should receive your notice within 30 days of its mailing date. 

I had the interview this morning at 8:10 AM. In case I didn't mention it earlier in the thread, my application was within the 3-year rule (spouse of US citizen). My I-751 had been approved last summer and I have been having my 10-year green card since July.

I passed the civics and English test with flying colors. The officer then asked me questions from my application and we made some updates. She was very impressed that I knew (in detail) what the Oath of allegiance is about. She then asked me to show our current lease, a 2024 bank account statement, and car insurance, which I had all with me. She then asked if I have a long-form car insurance and I said I only have what I gave her (which was the insurance card with both our names on it). Then she asked to see our son's birth certificate, which I also had. She then asked what other documents I had with me and she didn't want anything of what I listed (2020, 2021, 2022 tax transcripts - since we haven't yet filed 2023, joint car loan from 2021, older leases, older bank account and credit card statements), she did say yes to me showing her our driver license photos showing both of us having the same residence address (our residence address is different than our physical address: residence address is at my FIL's house, physical address is the one we actually live at but both are joint of course.) 

At the end she said that I passed the English and civics test and that the interview all went well, but that she is having some technical difficulties in the system that it's not letting her stamp the approval. (she did do a lot of typing and clicking on her computer before saying that, so I could tell she had been trying to get it through). So she handed me the N-652 form with "A decision cannot be made yet about your application" (no written detail about why, I only have what she said verbally about the technical difficulties). She also said that I will receive my oath scheduling letter within 30 days and she gave me details about how the oath ceremony will go (no guests and about 2 hours total time, if scheduled at the same location as the field office I interviewed at, as it's a small ceremony venue, or, guests allowed and about 4-5 hours total time, if scheduled at the other ceremony location which is a school, dress formally, etc.)

Our case is strong and we have tons of evidence so I'm not worried about that (including I-751 approved in record time with no interview), I'm just disappointed being stuck in this limbo (which I know from a thread here that can last anywhere from a day to over a year). My status in myUSCIS still says  "Interview was scheduled" sooo... I guess now we wait :). 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Elle84 said:

Thank you! 

Congrats. What questions were asked about the 10 questions?

Yes/No questions? 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Elle84 said:

Excellent news! Watch your MyUSCIS account - I had my oath ceremony instructions from there before they'd even sent the notice in the mail.  

Neither ceremony is super formal.  Smart business casual is fine.  Hubs did his at the auditorium and yes, it took like 4 hours.  I did mine at Gears Rd and it only took about 1.5-2 hours.  No one was super formal, but pretty much everyone were smartly dressed and not sloppy.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 minute ago, mam521 said:

Excellent news! Watch your MyUSCIS account - I had my oath ceremony instructions from there before they'd even sent the notice in the mail.  

Neither ceremony is super formal.  Smart business casual is fine.  Hubs did his at the auditorium and yes, it took like 4 hours.  I did mine at Gears Rd and it only took about 1.5-2 hours.  No one was super formal, but pretty much everyone were smartly dressed and not sloppy.  

Mine would be in the Houston FO too. Can you summarize your experience? 

Timeline
52 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

Congrats. What questions were asked about the 10 questions?

Yes/No questions? 

She only asked me 6 questions because I answered all correctly.

The questions were:

Name 1 branch of the Government (I said Congress)

What does the Constitution do? (I said defines the Government)

What did Martin Luther King Jr do? (fought for civil rights)

During the Cold War, what was the main concern of the United States? (communism)

What month do we elect the President? (November)

During World War II, who did the United States fight against? (Germany, Italy, and Japan)

For the English test, there were two steps. First, she asked me to read a sentence from an iPad screen that was in front of me. I cannot remember the sentence but it was very simple. Then, she told me a sentence and asked me to write it on that iPad using an electronic pen (which was working like sh*t and my hand was trembling so it took forever because it was literally leaving blank spaces within the letters and I had to go back and fill them in): Alaska is the largest state.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, mam521 said:

oh yes you can bet I have that tab open in my Chrome browser at all times... it was the same for my interview letter, I got the online one on 1/8 and didn't get the physical one until 2.5 weeks later. 

Thanks for the insights for the ceremony! I kinda hope it's going to be at the auditorium so that my husband can come with me and take pictures and a little video. Even if our journey was way shorter than a lot of people's every step of the way, it did take 4 years and 2 months since we first mailed that CR-1 petition packet and we did everything without a lawyer, we can't wait to be FINALLY done with USCIS because all the constant documenting of every little thing in our life took so much energy and time for us.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

Mine would be in the Houston FO too. Can you summarize your experience? 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Elle84 said:

oh yes you can bet I have that tab open in my Chrome browser at all times... it was the same for my interview letter, I got the online one on 1/8 and didn't get the physical one until 2.5 weeks later. 

Thanks for the insights for the ceremony! I kinda hope it's going to be at the auditorium so that my husband can come with me and take pictures and a little video. Even if our journey was way shorter than a lot of people's every step of the way, it did take 4 years and 2 months since we first mailed that CR-1 petition packet and we did everything without a lawyer, we can't wait to be FINALLY done with USCIS because all the constant documenting of every little thing in our life took so much energy and time for us.

It's shockingly informal, considering what it is.  I was a bit surprised.  The formality up to the Oath itself felt more like a date at the Driver's License office.  You'd have thought it would feel a bit more important.  I find a lot of American things are like that though.  I'm Canadian and Remembrance Day is an important and solemn day.  The US doesn't treat Veterans day in the same way.   

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.