Noktor

What to bring to your greencard interview for K1 visa holders?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Noktor said:

I see, but the thing is my wife hasn't worked yet since she's been here. We have been waiting for her work permit and other things. She isn't ready for work yet, she still has to take english classes because her english isn't good enough for work. So how are we suppose to bring a joint tax transcript to the interview?

You probably would have filed as Married Filing Jointly. It's not necessary for both spouses to have worked, but you do have to file as a married person. That's the transcript you need to take along with you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
2 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Do you understand that you can file MFJ even if she doesn’t work?   Anyway, you can’t bring what you don’t have.   You’ll need to focus on whatever evidence you can gather.

I just recently started working again this year, and when I filled out my w2, I think I chose Married Filing Seperately, since people recommended I chose that since my wife isn't currently working.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Noktor said:

I just recently started working again this year, and when I filled out my w2, I think I chose Married Filing Seperately, since people recommended I chose that since my wife isn't currently working.

Not sure why anyone would recommend that since you'll end up paying more tax filing separately when your wife is not working. The only time it makes sense to file separately is if you are both working making similar amounts of money and filing jointly puts you in a higher tax bracket than if you had filed separately. 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

Not sure why anyone would recommend that since you'll end up paying more tax filing separately when your wife is not working. The only time it makes sense to file separately is if you are both working making similar amounts of money and filing jointly puts you in a higher tax bracket than if you had filed separately. 

I read online that MFS would make things less complicated. But is it too late to switch my W4's filing status? Would it complicate thiings when income tax season comes up? I had no idea that I'd be paying more in taxes going the MFS route.

3 minutes ago, Noktor said:

I read online that MFS would make things less complicated. But is it too late to switch my W4's filing status? Would it complicate thiings when income tax season comes up? I had no idea that I'd be paying more in taxes going the MFS route.

The W4 only is used to determine how much is being witheld from your paycheck.  Period.  It means nothing in regards to the filing status you choose for your 1040.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, IWander said:

The W4 only is used to determine how much is being witheld from your paycheck.  Period.  It means nothing in regards to the filing status you choose for your 1040.

Screenshot-2023-12-24-at-3-52-28-PM.png

In Step 1 section C. This is where I chose Married filing seperately/Single. So how does one receive a joint's tax transcript or 1040 then in order to bring to our interview. I hope we're not doomed that I just have now discovered this mistake that I've made.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Noktor said:

But is it too late to switch my W4's filing status? Would it complicate thiings when income tax season comes up? I had no idea that I'd be paying more in taxes going the MFS route.

You can update your W-4 any time.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Noktor said:

In Step 1 section C. This is where I chose Married filing seperately/Single. So how does one receive a joint's tax transcript or 1040 then in order to bring to our interview. I hope we're not doomed that I just have now discovered this mistake that I've made.

Nothing to worry about, the W-4 is essentially just between you and your employer and you can update it as many times as you want to. What matters is what you select when you file your tax return for 2023 next year. For an interview before then you won't have any meaningful transcripts to bring.

Worst case if you leave your W-4 as-is your employer will withhold too much tax and you'll get a larger refund when you actually file your return as married filing jointly.

The biggest difference is that the tax brackets are different filing jointly + the standard deduction is double, if your spouse does not work you basically give away a $14k deduction if you were to file separately instead of jointly. Any tax filing software will tell you about this when you put the numbers in.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

Nothing to worry about, the W-4 is essentially just between you and your employer and you can update it as many times as you want to. What matters is what you select when you file your tax return for 2023 next year. For an interview before then you won't have any meaningful transcripts to bring.

Worst case if you leave your W-4 as-is your employer will withhold too much tax and you'll get a larger refund when you actually file your return as married filing jointly.

The biggest difference is that the tax brackets are different filing jointly + the standard deduction is double, if your spouse does not work you basically give away a $14k deduction if you were to file separately instead of jointly. Any tax filing software will tell you about this when you put the numbers in.

Thanks, I'm very bad when it comes to finances, math and numbers. So my apologies. So I guess like you said it's not important, since our interview is next month. I really have nothing to show in terms of taxes for year 2023. Hopefully they can understand that and won't give us a hard time. So it's okay on my W4 to select filing as Single/MFS and when it comes time to do my income taxes choose MFJ on my 1040? Don't the status have to match on both?

2 minutes ago, Noktor said:

Thanks, I'm very bad when it comes to finances, math and numbers. So my apologies. So I guess like you said it's not important, since our interview is next month. I really have nothing to show in terms of taxes for year 2023. Hopefully they can understand that and won't give us a hard time. So it's okay on my W4 to select filing as Single/MFS and when it comes time to do my income taxes choose MFJ on my 1040? Don't the status have to match on both?

Nope.  All you are doing is having more taken from your paycheck.  Stop worrying.

If you don't have your taxes then you can provide your last paystub that shows your pay rate and YTD earnings. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Noktor said:

No harm in updating your W-4 as soon as possible - then you'll get more money in your pocket each paycheck instead of having to wait for tax refund season to get it back.

The most common debate on these forums on how to file the actual taxes relate to the immigrant not yet having a SSN which sometimes becomes an issue trying to file jointly. If your spouse does not yet have an SSN I'd suggest taking care of that ASAP so you have it in place in time for tax season. Then just use TurboTax or similar and you'll be guided through the whole process, unless you already have someone do your taxes for you.

IRS won't bug you for giving them too much money, and I don't think USCIS would have any issue either unless you file your actual return as single, that would be a red flag.

4 hours ago, Noktor said:

Besides from the usual id, passport, etc. What do people usually bring? I'm very happy and nervous at the same time and don't want to mess anything up. We don't want to bring any more than what's needed. Cause I heard from most people that they don't even require much. But I noticed on the letter that we received that it says to bring tax transcripts, etc. Don't they already have this on file when we submitted all this stuff when we filed our AOS Packet (I-485, I-767, I-131)? I already included all those already. Why are they asking for it again?

Not all IOs are competent.

Some might conduct your interview without even obtaining your A-file from storage. 

Come prepared with everything listed on your Interview appointment letter and everything from your I129F/K1 visa folder to show continuity of AOS Filing eligibility. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.