Noktor

What to bring to your greencard interview for K1 visa holders?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Besides from the usual id, passport, etc. What do people usually bring? I'm very happy and nervous at the same time and don't want to mess anything up. We don't want to bring any more than what's needed. Cause I heard from most people that they don't even require much. But I noticed on the letter that we received that it says to bring tax transcripts, etc. Don't they already have this on file when we submitted all this stuff when we filed our AOS Packet (I-485, I-767, I-131)? I already included all those already. Why are they asking for it again?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, IWander said:

You would bring additional evidence of a comingled marriage life from the time you submitted the application until the day of the interview 

That's it? So anything like photos from family get togethers, joint banking account, etc? We just recently setup a joints bank account at Bank of America, but how do we prove to the interviewer that both our names are on it? I've checked both online and on the app.

7 minutes ago, Noktor said:

That's it? So anything like photos from family get togethers, joint banking account, etc? We just recently setup a joints bank account at Bank of America, but how do we prove to the interviewer that both our names are on it? I've checked both online and on the app.

The monthly bank statements should have both names

54 minutes ago, Noktor said:

Besides from the usual id, passport, etc. What do people usually bring? I'm very happy and nervous at the same time and don't want to mess anything up. We don't want to bring any more than what's needed. Cause I heard from most people that they don't even require much. But I noticed on the letter that we received that it says to bring tax transcripts, etc. Don't they already have this on file when we submitted all this stuff when we filed our AOS Packet (I-485, I-767, I-131)? I already included all those already. Why are they asking for it again?

Print out and bring an updated  I-94.

55 minutes ago, Noktor said:

Normally, a year at least has elapsed between sending your packet and having the interview, so there is a lot of updated info to bring.   Most people won’t have tax transcripts or joint bank statements at all when they send off the AOS packet, if they marry and file immediately.

57 minutes ago, Noktor said:

How would you have already had joint tax transcripts when you filed for AOS?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

We took everything the letter told us to. Why take chances? It did involve a lot of printing, but it's better to have it and not need it...

Timeline
Just now, SalishSea said:

Normally, a year at least has elapsed between sending your packet and having the interview, so there is a lot of updated info to bring.   Most people won’t have tax transcripts or joint bank statements at all when they send off the AOS packet, if they marry and file immediately.

From the time we mailed our AoS packet to the interview is probably around 7-8 months. When my wife came here we got married a month after and then a month after that we filled out the AoS forms and submitted them in with all the necessary tax transcripts. I am the co sponsor, my mother is the main sponsor. So I had to fill out 2 I-864 forms and submit both mines and my mother's tax transcripts. So are you saying I have to get new ones? 2023 tax transcripts aren't available yet since the year isn't over. Also my wife's I-94 has expired. What is the process to update it?

Just now, Joyoussinger said:

We took everything the letter told us to. Why take chances? It did involve a lot of printing, but it's better to have it and not need it...

And when you went to the interview, did they look at all the stuff you brought?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

How would you have already had joint tax transcripts when you filed for AOS?

Joint tax transcripts? I never said that. I was talking about a joint's banking account between my wife and I.

1 minute ago, Noktor said:

From the time we mailed our AoS packet to the interview is probably around 7-8 months. When my wife came here we got married a month after and then a month after that we filled out the AoS forms and submitted them in with all the necessary tax transcripts. I am the co sponsor, my mother is the main sponsor. So I had to fill out 2 I-864 forms and submit both mines and my mother's tax transcripts. So are you saying I have to get new ones? 2023 tax transcripts aren't available yet since the year isn't over. Also my wife's I-94 has expired. What is the process to update it?

You’re using AOS as affidavit of support, and I’m using it for adjustment of status.

You need to show marital commingling of finances and other aspects of life.  

Yes, they looked at everything we brought.   They asked for a new I-94, and we hadn’t brought that.  Husband had travelled to Canada on AP, so they wanted the I-94, but the passport entry sufficed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Noktor said:

Nope! They only asked to see pictures, which surprised us. What they asked us to show them doesn't matter. Every case is different. It would be so disappointing to have to wait for approval because they asked for something you should have had with you. 

5 minutes ago, Noktor said:

Joint tax transcripts? I never said that. I was talking about a joint's banking account between my wife and I.

And here is where you’re confused….by the two meanings of AOS….

The tax transcripts referenced in the list are joint tax transcripts, filing MFJ, which shows marital commingling of finances (the point/focus of even having an interview), NOT a repeat of the same documents sent with the I-864.

Timeline
Just now, SalishSea said:

And here is where you’re confused….by the two meanings of AOS….

The tax transcripts referenced in the list are joint tax transcripts, filing MFJ, which shows marital commingling of finances (the point/focus of even having an interview), NOT a repeat of the same documents sent with the I-864.

I see, but the thing is my wife hasn't worked yet since she's been here. We have been waiting for her work permit and other things. She isn't ready for work yet, she still has to take english classes because her english isn't good enough for work. So how are we suppose to bring a joint tax transcript to the interview?

2 minutes ago, Noktor said:

I see, but the thing is my wife hasn't worked yet since she's been here. We have been waiting for her work permit and other things. She isn't ready for work yet, she still has to take english classes because her english isn't good enough for work. So how are we suppose to bring a joint tax transcript to the interview?

Do you understand that you can file MFJ even if she doesn’t work?   Anyway, you can’t bring what you don’t have.   You’ll need to focus on whatever evidence you can gather.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.