Rosalea

What counts or doesn't count as financial support?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I've applied for AOS (came in on a K1) which obviously involves not being able to work and being 'financially supported' by my husband. I know as far as uscis and the us government is concerned, you have to be financially supported so you don't run out of money and then become a public charge. Obviously we've both discussed this but I'm still kinda confused about where the line is between: basic living expenses being covered, and, well, anything above that being covered. I figure it's the first of the two. And I wanna make it clear that I'm not wanting every single dollar accounted for and have everything (non-essential) bought for me! Just unsure of where the divide is.

But, I also don't know if I'm being stingey by being hesitant to contribute to the costs of things like meals or gas, or if that should all come under 'financial support'. Or does it just vary massively between people? I'm not even sure what I'm asking now haha. I guess I just wanna get a vague feel for what everyone else does or has experienced.

As far as USCIS is concerned, as long as you don't apply for certain programs giving you financial support etc, they don't care how and who in your marriage pays the bills, gets groceries or books vacations. All of this is purely between you and your spouse. In a traditional marriage, all income and expenses are shared. If one spouse is sick / unemployed due to AOS, the other one supports them.

Edited by OldUser

33 minutes ago, Rosalea said:

But, I also don't know if I'm being stingey by being hesitant to contribute to the costs of things like meals or gas, or if that should all come under 'financial support'. 

Do you have big savings? If you cannot work, and don't have much savings, that's understandable that you're hesitant to contribute. For your spouse, it could be a radical change to his lifestyle - now he has to feed two people on his income instead of just himself. So be kind to him too and be reasonable when asking for expensive things knowing he might be under pressure. Meanwhile get your skills in check, prepare resume, explore the job market and be ready to join the workforce when you get your EAD. Sometimes it helps to show you're putting effort in to be of a help to your new family. Maybe take some of his responsibilities and chores if you have extra free time.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
Just now, OldUser said:

Do you have big savings? If you cannot work, and don't have much savings, that's understandable that you're hesitant to contribute. For your spouse, it could be a radical change to his lifestyle - now he has to feed two people on his income instead of just himself. So be kind to him too and be reasonable when asking for expensive things knowing he might be under pressure. Meanwhile get your skills in check, prepare resume, explore the job market and be ready to join the workforce when you get your EAD.

I have a pretty substantial savings and will be able to have it last another 10 or so months while still spending a little bit regularly. I'm not acting rude to him or wanting him to pay for everything (like I said before) haha, just curious about it.

2 minutes ago, Rosalea said:

I have a pretty substantial savings and will be able to have it last another 10 or so months while still spending a little bit regularly. I'm not acting rude to him or wanting him to pay for everything (like I said before) haha, just curious about it.

There's nothing legal binding saying he should be spending half of his income or any other percentage on you or anything like that. Not that I know of.

But obviously, if he had the money and you'd be forced to skip two out of three meals in a day, you wouldn't stay in such marriage, right?

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
Just now, OldUser said:

There's nothing legal binding saying he should be spending half of his income or any other percentage on you or anything like that. Not that I know of.

Yeah I know, that's not what I even meant.

4 hours ago, OldUser said:

As long as you don't "bother" the government by applying for certain benefits, that's all that matters to them.

Exactly.  The details of a couple’s financial arrangement is not an immigration issue.  It only becomes so when the immigrant seeks public benefits.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

with CO and interviews its providing health care insurance,  food and housing,  and monthly money basically those things that a person could get from social services to add assistance to the household or on their own if displaced

some of this is a cultural question

but to AOS u need to prove combined assets not necessarily money but names added to insurance policies,  rent or deed,  bank accounts, etc

but to have a decent relationship,  USC would probably make sure the K1 bene has a cell and   contract so the person is not isolated from family and friends and make sure they have clothes as needed ,  a driving license if a car is required for grocery shopping and just plain getting to learn their way around.  

its hard enough to move and not feel homesick (as discussed on here many times)  but the person can't be left at home with nothing but the marriage partner

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Marieke H said:

USCIS does not dictate how a married couple should manage their finances. Your spouse has shown that he can financially support you,  and now it's up to you and your spouse to figure out what that looks like for you. Ideally, this would be something that has been discussed before you even moved her, to make sure that you are on the same page regarding these financial expectations. 

We did discuss it beforehand, we are on the same page, I was just curious.

@Rosalea are you talking about:

-I134

-the I864

-the period between entry and acquiring EAD

-the period between 90 days after entry and EAD 

-the period between entry and when you become employed

-the entire period from entry to acquisition of citizenship or 40 quarters of work

-the entire period you reside in the US

Timeline
1 minute ago, Redro said:

@Rosalea are you talking about:

-I134

-the I864

-the period between entry and acquiring EAD

-the period between 90 days after entry and EAD 

-the period between entry and when you become employed

-the entire period from entry to acquisition of citizenship or 40 quarters of work

-the entire period you reside in the US

The first five.

5 minutes ago, Rosalea said:

The first five.

Read this for reference:

be aware people do sue their partners for 125% poverty limit in divorce proceedings so you could hypothetically tell your partner they need to pay the first $29,580 of living expenses every year( assuming you are a household of 2). Or give you an allowance of $21,870 every year until you become a citizen/ work 40 quarters… 

ETA I864 for the period you get GC until you become a citizen/ work 40 quarters this is why I wanted to narrow down what you meant… as this document is the one that USCIS cares about…  

Edited by Redro

Timeline
1 minute ago, Redro said:

Read this for reference:

be aware people do sue their partners for 125% poverty limit in divorce proceedings so you could hypothetically tell your partner they need to pay the first $29,580 of living expenses every year( assuming you are a household of 2). Or give you an allowance of $21,870 every year until you become a citizen/ work 40 quarters… 

Yikes, I wasn't planning on doing that lmao. Like I said, I have my own money in savings so I'm good 😅 None of this is about me wanting all his money, seems like everyone's getting the wrong idea about my post.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.