NDmomof4

Has anyone flown with a cat in the cabin through Lufthansa?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I've been looking for hours trying to find the answer. There's no way to contact Lufthansa that I can see in order to ensure I've got my information correct. Everything I'm reading says as long as my cat + carrier don't go over a certain weight, I can bring him with us, even on an international flight. It's been several years since we flew with our cat, and back then it wasn't possible for international flights to have a pet in the cabin. We're flying Frankfurt Germany to Chicago on a direct flight. He has a microchip and a 3 year rabies vaccine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

12 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

I'm just paranoid, so many airlines say they allow pets in the cabin and then either have a lot of restrictions on location or simply don't fly anywhere near where we're going. Some won't take pets at all, some only cargo, and often the information is buried in fine print like Delta. If I turn up to the airport with cat in tow and they turn us away I would be devastated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
4 hours ago, NDmomof4 said:

I'm just paranoid, so many airlines say they allow pets in the cabin and then either have a lot of restrictions on location or simply don't fly anywhere near where we're going. Some won't take pets at all, some only cargo, and often the information is buried in fine print like Delta. If I turn up to the airport with cat in tow and they turn us away I would be devastated.

If they fly as cargo, they will be fine too. I brought my dogo from Argentina like that, and trust me, she's full of life now lol

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

7 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

If they fly as cargo, they will be fine too. I brought my dogo from Argentina like that, and trust me, she's full of life now lol

Oh I know, that's how he first got overseas to begin with, but the cost of flying him through cargo isn't possible this time around, we weren't expecting to have to leave almost immediately so the funds just aren't there, and there will be no one to take him if I can't get him on the plane.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
18 hours ago, NDmomof4 said:

Many airlines did stop household pets from flying in the cabin for many reasons

1 man tried to bring in a small alligator (this is for real and can be seen on youtube)

and many stopped because the pets were too big

others were afraid of the bird flu and stopped pet birds 

Luthansia still allows small cats and dogs but the cage is added to animals weight and u pay for extra carry on 

If the cat needs to go into the hold,  he will be fine just make sure u keep his shot record with u at all times so he isn't put into quarantine

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My family flies a lot with Lufthansa with their yorke dog in a carrier under the seat. I think it cost either $150 or $250 one way.

The only restriction Lufthansa has is that there is only 1 animal per cabin.  In other words there can be 1 animal in fist class, 1 animal in business class, 1 animal in premium economy and 1 animal in economy class. (that's for TATL flights). 

On a recent flight, my family member had to upgrade themselves to premium economy class as there was already animal in economy class and they wouldn't allowed her dog on that flight. Also, every time they have to call Lufthansa after booking the ticket online to confirm the dog on a flight and pay for it. 

2 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

My family flies a lot with Lufthansa with their yorke dog in a carrier under the seat. I think it cost either $150 or $250 one way.

The only restriction Lufthansa has is that there is only 1 animal per cabin.  In other words there can be 1 animal in fist class, 1 animal in business class, 1 animal in premium economy and 1 animal in economy class. (that's for TATL flights). 

On a recent flight, my family member had to upgrade themselves to premium economy class as there was already animal in economy class and they wouldn't allowed her dog on that flight. Also, every time they have to call Lufthansa after booking the ticket online to confirm the dog on a flight and pay for it. 

That's interesting information, thank you. Hopefully no need to upgrade, but I'm thankful he can go with us this easily. 

21 hours ago, NDmomof4 said:

Just be prepared that you may be turned away if somebody has an allergy - I've seen it happen, somebody has turned up with a cat or dog and been refused boarding as another passenger has complained and said they have an allergy. That may cost you more in the long run. The only guaranteed way to take your pet would be to take him/her in cargo, travelling with them in the cabin is just more risky as there's no guarantee you'll get them on board for the flight you've planned.

Also, a horrible thought I know but how will your cat cope with that long journey in terms of toilet needs? I've been on a flight where a cat has defecated in their carrier and it was horrific, the whole cabin was gagging and vowing to sue! Not sure how long the flight is from Germany to Chicago but I wouldn't do a long flight as you may not endear yourself to your fellow passengers, so maybe do a shorter hop to somewhere on the east coast and then another flight the next day?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

^^^This.  You will need to call the airline to confirm the pet will be allowed onboard the flight and pay the fee.  You may also require a health certificate from your veterinarian within 10 days of travel.  Confirm with Lufthansa.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
7 hours ago, appleblossom said:

you may be turned away if somebody has an allergy

Sidebar:  I wish this were true of the passengers who invariably drench themselves in perfumes and colognes.  One time, I had no choice but to give up a first-class seat on an international flight because I couldn't tolerate the stench of the passenger in front of me.  Just use adequate pit-spray instead of smelling like a cheap whorehouse, please.

7 hours ago, appleblossom said:

how will your cat cope with that long journey in terms of toilet needs? I've been on a flight where a cat has defecated in their carrier and it was horrific

Excellent point -- and pee can be just as bad.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.