Cam&jada

Work Visa Options for a veterinarian coming to the US from the Philippines?

12 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone! 

I'm doing some research online trying to get the best answer, but realized I'd be nuts not to ask here with all the wisdom that we've received in the past for my wife's visa.

We are looking to hire a veterinarian at our clinic in the US. We have several good candidates that we are in the process of interviewing now. 

We have never done anything with the work visa route and would love advice and insight. 

I think the likely visa to work with would be the H-1B or H-1B1, correct? If so, what would we expect if we go that route? Timeline? Likelihood of it being approved? What is needed from us in order for them to apply? Etc. 

I am also looking at the L Visa (Intracompany Transferee) as an option. We could hire them for the next year working in a remote capacity while they are preparing for and taking the needed tests and certifications needed and then if all works out go with this option. Any thoughts on that? 

Thanks so much!

56 minutes ago, Cam&jada said:

Hello Everyone! 

I'm doing some research online trying to get the best answer, but realized I'd be nuts not to ask here with all the wisdom that we've received in the past for my wife's visa.

We are looking to hire a veterinarian at our clinic in the US. We have several good candidates that we are in the process of interviewing now. 

We have never done anything with the work visa route and would love advice and insight. 

I think the likely visa to work with would be the H-1B or H-1B1, correct? If so, what would we expect if we go that route? Timeline? Likelihood of it being approved? What is needed from us in order for them to apply? Etc. 

I am also looking at the L Visa (Intracompany Transferee) as an option. We could hire them for the next year working in a remote capacity while they are preparing for and taking the needed tests and certifications needed and then if all works out go with this option. Any thoughts on that? 

Thanks so much!

I assume this is a plan to bring over a relative?

You would need to go through your company’s lawyer.   Sponsoring foreign workers is not DIY.

Just curious why you wouldn’t look for local candidates?   Are you aware of the costs to the employer, of sponsoring someone?

And what about the logistics of a foreign born vet practicing in your state?  You’d also want to look into whether someone could practice remotely (your L visa idea).   Even within the US, there are telehealth laws that vary by state, so I would assume they apply to unlicensed foreign providers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

although a lawyer is not needed to apply ,  there are several areas to cover to get the H 1b visa

i would consult with an attorney familiar with this process /  consulation fee is well worth it  including all information to him/her like is this a family member u want to hire

For 1 there is a yearly cap

after filing for the LCA u have to post the job and

The employer, before petitioning for H-1B status for any alien worker pursuant to an H-1B LCA, took good faith steps to recruit U.S. workers for the job for which the alien worker is sought, at wages at least equal to those offered to the H-1B worker. Also, the employer will offer the job to any U.S. worker who applies and is equally or better qualified than the H-1B worker. 

also if hiring the foreign worker and H 1b is receive,  u can not displace a US worker doing the same job

u have to pay the H 1b the competitive wage and all benefits offered to US worker

average vet wage in Utah is $113,603 but ranges from $50,000 to $175,000

https://www.indeed.com/career/veterinarian/salaries/UT

there's a lot to know

https://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/elg/h1b.htm?_ga=2.18167166.677710859.1699903217-185016979.1699903217

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

H1b is a lottery now, I think last year it was c20% won

L1 I am not quite sure how that would work for a vet, not many international vets.

Also the issue of requalify which I am sure will be a pain.

There are other options of course.

Is this a short term or long term requirement?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Cam&jada said:

As above, H1-B is a lottery so a long shot, your lawyer would need to be prepared to apply as soon as the program opens (April I think?). If lucky enough to be selected (pretty long odds) they'd then be able to start in October 2024, so are you happy to wait a year for them to be able to start work, or do you need someone sooner? If you can wait, it might be worth looking at EB immigrant visas instead?

The L1 only works if you have a practice/office in the country they're in to transfer them from and keep running once they've moved, which doesn't sound like it's the case?

"The employer must: have a qualifying relationship with a foreign company (parent company, branch, subsidiary, or affiliate……."

https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/temporary-workers/l-1a-intracompany-transferee-executive-or-manager

On 11/13/2023 at 1:03 PM, SalishSea said:

I assume this is a plan to bring over a relative?

You would need to go through your company’s lawyer.   Sponsoring foreign workers is not DIY.

Just curious why you wouldn’t look for local candidates?   Are you aware of the costs to the employer, of sponsoring someone?

And what about the logistics of a foreign born vet practicing in your state?  You’d also want to look into whether someone could practice remotely (your L visa idea).   Even within the US, there are telehealth laws that vary by state, so I would assume they apply to unlicensed foreign providers.

No. Not to bring a relative. We have been trying to find a US citizen to hire but have had no luck. There is a large need for vets right now and finding one to come to a rural area has proven to be very difficult. Even finding people willing to consider it has been very lacking. Of course local would be the best and easiest way, but it isn't working. 

But all of your questions and thoughts are great. Thanks!

On 11/13/2023 at 2:52 PM, appleblossom said:

As above, H1-B is a lottery so a long shot, your lawyer would need to be prepared to apply as soon as the program opens (April I think?). If lucky enough to be selected (pretty long odds) they'd then be able to start in October 2024, so are you happy to wait a year for them to be able to start work, or do you need someone sooner? If you can wait, it might be worth looking at EB immigrant visas instead?

The L1 only works if you have a practice/office in the country they're in to transfer them from and keep running once they've moved, which doesn't sound like it's the case?

"The employer must: have a qualifying relationship with a foreign company (parent company, branch, subsidiary, or affiliate……."

https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/temporary-workers/l-1a-intracompany-transferee-executive-or-manager

Got it. I missed the qualifying relationship part. That kind of eliminates that option. Thanks for catching it. 

On 11/13/2023 at 2:06 PM, Lil bear said:

Unless the veterinarian graduated from a US vet board approved college, they will not be able to sit for the registration exams and without US registration they will not be allowed to practice.

https://www.icva.net/navle/

Got it. Thanks! 

On 11/13/2023 at 1:18 PM, Boiler said:

H1b is a lottery now, I think last year it was c20% won

L1 I am not quite sure how that would work for a vet, not many international vets.

Also the issue of requalify which I am sure will be a pain.

There are other options of course.

Is this a short term or long term requirement?

We want it to be very long-term. 

On 11/13/2023 at 1:04 PM, JeanneAdil said:

although a lawyer is not needed to apply ,  there are several areas to cover to get the H 1b visa

i would consult with an attorney familiar with this process /  consulation fee is well worth it  including all information to him/her like is this a family member u want to hire

For 1 there is a yearly cap

after filing for the LCA u have to post the job and

The employer, before petitioning for H-1B status for any alien worker pursuant to an H-1B LCA, took good faith steps to recruit U.S. workers for the job for which the alien worker is sought, at wages at least equal to those offered to the H-1B worker. Also, the employer will offer the job to any U.S. worker who applies and is equally or better qualified than the H-1B worker. 

also if hiring the foreign worker and H 1b is receive,  u can not displace a US worker doing the same job

u have to pay the H 1b the competitive wage and all benefits offered to US worker

average vet wage in Utah is $113,603 but ranges from $50,000 to $175,000

https://www.indeed.com/career/veterinarian/salaries/UT

there's a lot to know

https://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/elg/h1b.htm?_ga=2.18167166.677710859.1699903217-185016979.1699903217

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds more like an EB

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.