qwmzy

Can I quit my job?

8 posts in this topic

Hello, my wife and I are apply for my wife to immigrate to the U.S. under a CR1 Visa. We are currently waiting to recieve our embassy interview date. I am a U.S. citizen, and she is from the Netherlands. I am the petitioner and the Sponsor. My father signed the i-864a. I currently have two jobs, and one of them I'm wanting to quit. My question for all of you is. Can I quit my job without negatively impacting my wifes ability to immigrate here? If I quit my job, do i need to communicate that to the government, and if so how? Honestly this job is driving me a bit insane lol. Thank you for your time.

If your remaining job has you comfortably over the required poverty guidelines for your household size then yes. But that doesn't sound like it is the case if you had to use your father for affidavit of support. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

13 minutes ago, milimelo said:

If your remaining job has you comfortably over the required poverty guidelines for your household size then yes. But that doesn't sound like it is the case if you had to use your father for affidavit of support. 

No I am under the poverty guideline despite having two jobs. My father makes much more than enough however. I assume this means I can't quit one of my two jobs? Even though together we have more than enough money

28 minutes ago, qwmzy said:

No I am under the poverty guideline despite having two jobs. My father makes much more than enough however. I assume this means I can't quit one of my two jobs? Even though together we have more than enough money

I'd look for a better paying job (even if just one) so you're not saddling your family with increased cost of household - it will increase with the new immigrant arriving as she'll need to settle in and it's definitely not cheap. What are you doing for health insurance for the spouse? 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

3 minutes ago, milimelo said:

I'd look for a better paying job (even if just one) so you're not saddling your family with increased cost of household - it will increase with the new immigrant arriving as she'll need to settle in and it's definitely not cheap. What are you doing for health insurance for the spouse? 

Absolutely. I intend on quitting 1 job and increasing hours at my other to make up for it while I look for something that ultimately pays better. (I've been saving up to start my own business for the past couple of years as well, and intend on starting that when my wife gets here and we get her settled in) My current income wouldn't change too drastically. For my spouse, she'll be going on my current health insurance. I'm just asking if it won't negatively impact her being accepted into the U.S. for some reason if I decide to do this. I wouldn't be considering this if it weren't for this current job to be driving me crazy lol

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yes, you can.  If you increase your hours at the job you keep, just make sure your wife has a copy of your more current pay stub with her at the interview.  If she is asked about your jobs, she must tell the truth, but the subject may not come up.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

If it were me, I would not quit the job til after she gets here. I personally think it looks better to have tenature at your place of employment as it displays stability.  

I've wanted to change jobs for awhile now but am holding back til we finish the process because of this.

Could you transfer to a different department or location?

Or just reduce the hours there and pick up more in exchange at the other job?

Ultimately the choice is completely up to you, I'm just trying to give you a different perspective and options. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.