sc_queens

Where to upload i-797 form when filing N400 online? (Merged Topics)

10 posts in this topic

Hello community,

I'm gearing up to file my N-400 application based on the 3-year criteria (due to marriage to a U.S. citizen). To provide some context, I filed for an I-797 about a year ago and used documents that dated back a year at that time. Now, as I prepare my N-400, I'm encountering some uncertainty:

• Given my prior I-797 submission, how old can the supporting documents be when submitting the N-400 based on the 3-year rule?
  • Are there specific documents from the I-797 process that I can reuse for the N-400, or do I need updated versions?
  • For those who have navigated this path, were there any particular documents that the USCIS seemed especially keen on or that proved to be vital?
  • Any other advice or insights regarding the documentation and timeline when dealing with both the I-797 and the N-400?

Your guidance and shared experiences will be invaluable to me as I tread through this intricate process. Thank you so much for any clarity you can provide.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, sc_queens said:

Hello community,

I'm gearing up to file my N-400 application based on the 3-year criteria (due to marriage to a U.S. citizen). To provide some context, I filed for an I-797 about a year ago and used documents that dated back a year at that time. Now, as I prepare my N-400, I'm encountering some uncertainty:

• Given my prior I-797 submission, how old can the supporting documents be when submitting the N-400 based on the 3-year rule?
  • Are there specific documents from the I-797 process that I can reuse for the N-400, or do I need updated versions?
  • For those who have navigated this path, were there any particular documents that the USCIS seemed especially keen on or that proved to be vital?
  • Any other advice or insights regarding the documentation and timeline when dealing with both the I-797 and the N-400?

Your guidance and shared experiences will be invaluable to me as I tread through this intricate process. Thank you so much for any clarity you can provide.

You are filing based on the 3 year rule, meaning you have to show 3 years worth of proof that you lived in marital union with your spouse, eg utilities, bank statements, insurances, basically it's almost like the documentation for removal of condition, but it needs to be up to date, Pictures, etc select random bills, if you started living with your husband say in june 2020, put like 3 receipts of that year, like few more receipts for random years that is, 2020,2021,2022,2023, you don't need a tone of these, just few. They will need proof of comingling and living together in marital union, lease / rent, life insurance showing each others as beneficiary, health insurance too, kids' birth certificates of pet ownership docs, if you removed conditions and submitted these, make sure you submit them again and add the recent ones you got after submission of I751. You have a lot of resources on this forum to look from.

10 hours ago, mniceguy16 said:

You are filing based on the 3 year rule, meaning you have to show 3 years worth of proof that you lived in marital union with your spouse, eg utilities, bank statements, insurances, basically it's almost like the documentation for removal of condition, but it needs to be up to date, Pictures, etc select random bills, if you started living with your husband say in june 2020, put like 3 receipts of that year, like few more receipts for random years that is, 2020,2021,2022,2023, you don't need a tone of these, just few. They will need proof of comingling and living together in marital union, lease / rent, life insurance showing each others as beneficiary, health insurance too, kids' birth certificates of pet ownership docs, if you removed conditions and submitted these, make sure you submit them again and add the recent ones you got after submission of I751. You have a lot of resources on this forum to look from.

I was thinking since I've already submitted evidence when filing for i-751, I just have to submit documents thereafter. 

Should I submit the same documents and evidence when I filed for i-751? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 10/17/2023 at 8:15 AM, sc_queens said:

I was thinking since I've already submitted evidence when filing for i-751, I just have to submit documents thereafter. 

Should I submit the same documents and evidence when I filed for i-751? 

I'm going in for my combo I-751/N-400 interview next week, and I have two almost identical packages for both. The only difference is we changed our car since filing I-751, so I didn't include the co-loan of that car into my N-400. Instead, included the new car which is more relevant at this point. But yeah, both packages include evidence since 2019. Given how unpredictable USCIS I think it's better to be safe than sorry. 

On 10/19/2023 at 2:30 PM, Olga&Jared said:

I'm going in for my combo I-751/N-400 interview next week, and I have two almost identical packages for both. The only difference is we changed our car since filing I-751, so I didn't include the co-loan of that car into my N-400. Instead, included the new car which is more relevant at this point. But yeah, both packages include evidence since 2019. Given how unpredictable USCIS I think it's better to be safe than sorry. 

Thank you so much. I will do the same. Could you also tell me how long did the N-400 process take?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

When I filed my N400 (January of this year) my I-751 was still pending, so I uploaded documents from the moment I submitted my 751 until the moment I filled my N400. For example, bank statements, health insurance policies, etc. I did not repeat any documents except for the marriage certificate, and our title property. The title property had already been submitted with the 751, but I just wanted them to understand that we own our house, so there was no joint lease.

My 751 was approved about 5 weeks prior to my N400 interview, so for my interview I just brought N400 updated documents. The officer did not request to see anything, and it felt more like an informal conversation than an interview. I still encourage you to bring updated documents because it is better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.

Off- note: My 751 was approved in the midst of an international trip. So if your 751 is pending, go ahead, take that trip, it might knock it lose hahahaa.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 10/21/2023 at 9:52 AM, sc_queens said:

Thank you so much. I will do the same. Could you also tell me how long did the N-400 process take?

In my case I filed on February 11th this year, and my interview is this upcoming Wednesday. But it's different for every local office. San Francisco takes longer for cases that have a pending I-751. 

I'm in the process of completing my N-400 application online with pending i-751. Does anyone know where exactly I should upload my I-797 form, if it's required? Any guidance would be appreciated

• Crazy Cat changed the title to Where to upload i-797 form when filing N400 online? (Merged Topics)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline