seekingthetruth

Utah Online Marriage valid for the Philippines? [split thread]

14 posts in this topic

@John & Rose @top_secret

Guys, I'm trying to give some Philippine expat guys on another forum, some valid information on the Utah Online marriage as it relates to the Philippines.

There are a couple of guys who insist the marriage will not be valid for the Philippines.  One called the SFO embassy and was given a speech about it not being valid.  Other said it is valid, including one who called the the Vancouver embassy.

What is the bottom line currently?  Is the Utah online marriage valid for some things but not others?  E.g. valid for getting ROM?  Valid for spouse to get 13a visa for PH?  Valid for U.S. Immigration?

Appreciate your time!

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

12 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

@John & Rose @top_secret

Guys, I'm trying to give some Philippine expat guys on another forum, some valid information on the Utah Online marriage as it relates to the Philippines.

There are a couple of guys who insist the marriage will not be valid for the Philippines.  One called the SFO embassy and was given a speech about it not being valid.  Other said it is valid, including one who called the the Vancouver embassy.

What is the bottom line currently?  Is the Utah online marriage valid for some things but not others?  E.g. valid for getting ROM?  Valid for spouse to get 13a visa for PH?  Valid for U.S. Immigration?

Appreciate your time!

The Utah Online Marriage is valid for all those items you listed. My marriage with Filipino wife is Legal in Philippines and United States. Though getting the Report of Marriage completed is quite a journey on its own. I made a post about my process that you can utilize or share for others to utilize. I had no issues in the entire process, like everything in the Philippines don’t expect it to be done in a month.

hope this helps!

On 9/24/2023 at 8:54 PM, seekingthetruth said:

Appreciate your time!

The entire controversy about the validity of Utah online marriages in the Philippines stems from a two or three month suspension of processing ROM's for them around last November, while PSA and DFA conducted a review of their validity.  The results of their review is that they ARE 100% completely valid under Philippine law.  As long as a ROM is filed they are acceptable for anything  and everything that any other Philippine marriage is.  So now that question has been formally put to rest by DFA and PSA.   The Philippine Consulate in San Francisco has resumed processing the ROM's normally and is doing so in droves.

On some FB groups there are also people giving their first hand accounts of Utah online marriages going through US Embassy Manila without the slightest question in large numbers, probably daily.  It seems clear that USEM is now very familiar with them.  With or without the ROM is fine for US Visa purposes.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

On 9/27/2023 at 2:11 AM, top_secret said:

The entire controversy about the validity of Utah online marriages in the Philippines stems from a two or three month suspension of processing ROM's for them around last November, while PSA and DFA conducted a review of their validity.  The results of their review is that they ARE 100% completely valid under Philippine law.  As long as a ROM is filed they are acceptable for anything  and everything that any other Philippine marriage is.  So now that question has been formally put to rest by DFA and PSA.   The Philippine Consulate in San Francisco has resumed processing the ROM's normally and is doing so in droves.

On some FB groups there are also people giving their first hand accounts of Utah online marriages going through US Embassy Manila without the slightest question in large numbers, probably daily.  It seems clear that USEM is now very familiar with them.  With or without the ROM is fine for US Visa purposes.

Perfect!  With your permission, can I copy / paste?

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

1 hour ago, seekingthetruth said:

Perfect!  With your permission, can I copy / paste?

Fine with me.  All is well with Utah online marriages in the Philippines.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2023 at 9:01 AM, AlaMike said:

Are "ALL" Utah Zoom weddings registered thru the San Francisco Embassy? Alabama shows ROM reported to the Embassy in Washingtons DC .

Yes

• 4 months later...
On 9/25/2023 at 11:58 PM, Swafford25 said:

The Utah Online Marriage is valid for all those items you listed. My marriage with Filipino wife is Legal in Philippines and United States. Though getting the Report of Marriage completed is quite a journey on its own. I made a post about my process that you can utilize or share for others to utilize. I had no issues in the entire process, like everything in the Philippines don’t expect it to be done in a month.

hope this helps!

I wanted to ask about the report of marriage.my husband and I got married online.utah.that was Feb 26 2022.we didn't report the marriage Bec we didn't know that we had to do that.we got married again in my country Philippines Feb 2023.and it was registered here.im on my nvc stage now and am just waiting for my interview in manila..ir1 category.my husband used the first marriage for filing the i130..will it affect my visa processing..I'm so confused..TIA..pls enlighten me

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 9/25/2023 at 8:58 AM, Swafford25 said:

hope this helps!

Hey there- do you have a link to the post you made regarding your experience with the process for the rom?

Thanks

Cheers

9/20/09 We got married <3

uscis.jpg

11/15/09 USCIS received I-130

11/20/09 NoA1 received

11/25/09 USCIS received I-129f

12/1/09 NoA1 received

2/11/10 I-130&I-129f Approved!

2/15/10 Received NoA2 for both

2/17/10 NVC Case number issued

nvc2.png

2/18/10 Emailed DS3032

2/19/10 Received AOS bill

2/24/10 AoS bill paid online $70.00

2/24/10 IV bill paid online $400.00

2/25/2010 AoS fee bill shows Paid

3/1/2010 IV bill shows Paid

8/13/2010 Sent DS-230

8/17/2010 Sent AOS

8/18/2010 NVC received DS-230

8/19/2010 NVC received AOS

9/14/2010 Received RFE Checklist

9/20/2010 Sent RFE checklist and supporting documents

9/28/2010 NVC received FEDEX

10/19/2010 Sign In Failed

11/06/2010 Received appointment date!

EMBSSY.png

11/15/2010(1)11/19(2) & 11/24(3) Medical-Passed

12/6/2010 Interview Date-PASSED!

12/10/2010 Visa Recv'd - 2go

12/14/2010 POE in LA

12/01/2012 File for Adjustment of Status

3 hours ago, BadAmmoWitch said:

Can I ask a quick question here? What purpose does the ROM serve? Are there any benefits? 

The ROM is required by the Philippine Government and it legalizes an overseas marriage under Philippine Law.  It is unimportant to the US Government or for US immigration purposes, other than it would be necessary if your wife wanted to change to your name prior to her visa, green card and social security card all being issued in her maiden name.  If you plan on having little or no real interactions within the Philippines in the future, it is probably of little value and doesn't really matter.  If the Philippines may play a more significant role in your future, such as if you want to retire there, own family property there, etc ect, it would be more important because it could affect your rights as a spouse of a Filipino citizen in the Philippines and might often come up in any kind of dealings with the Philippine Government.

Edit to add.  The name changing aspect applies to CR1/IR1 cases.  K1 applicants could just change their name during adjustment of status with a US Marriage Certificate so less important in K1 cases.

Edited by top_secret

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, top_secret said:

The ROM is required by the Philippine Government and it legalizes an overseas marriage under Philippine Law.  It is unimportant to the US Government or for US immigration purposes, other than it would be necessary if your wife wanted to change to your name prior to her visa, green card and social security card all being issued in her maiden name.  If you plan on having little or no real interactions within the Philippines in the future, it is probably of little value and doesn't really matter.  If the Philippines may play a more significant role in your future, such as if you want to retire there, own family property there, etc ect, it would be more important because it could affect your rights as a spouse of a Filipino citizen in the Philippines and might often come up in any kind of dealings with the Philippine Government.

Edit to add.  The name changing aspect applies to CR1/IR1 cases.  K1 applicants could just change their name during adjustment of status with a US Marriage Certificate so less important in K1 cases.

You're awesome, thank you very much.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.