Amunah

Potential Gov. Shutdown

17 posts in this topic

Good evening, morning, afternoon, night, fellows

What impact will the potential Gov. shutdown have impact on us, particularly NVC, embassies? I am of understanding that USCIS will not due to it being funded by fees mostly? 
Thanks, and sorry if I am in the wrong tread

Edited by Amunah

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Seems like we face this every year now 

it still would slow USCIS down 

many US offices are located in Federal buildings.  if Congress fails its job and we have a shutdown,  federal buildings are affected

Immigration is funded by us who petition but embassies fall under the US budget

American diplomatic establishments, embassies and consulates, are paid for by the US Government from appropriated funds. Depending upon the arrangement we have with the host country, the land is either purchased or leased, and the buildings are either built with appropriated funds or leased. Under either arrangement, the US Government pays the bills.

4 hours ago, Amunah said:

Good evening, morning, afternoon, night, fellows

What impact will the potential Gov. shutdown have impact on us, particularly NVC, embassies? I am of understanding that USCIS will not due to it being funded by fees mostly? 
Thanks, and sorry if I am in the wrong tread

Oh god 😨 when is the shutdown 😣😢

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Don't freak out.  None of the previous ones had any discernible effect on immigration stuff.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

but immigration will use it for an excuse

longest shutdown was 21 days under Clinton 1995/96

• U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is a fee-generating agency; accordingly, it does not rely primarily on government funding. During past shutdowns, USCIS offices generally continued to operate; however, slowdowns and processing delays can be expected due to reduced staff, particularly in instances when USCIS adjudicators rely on other government functions to render decisions.

9 hours ago, Gigizaza said:

Oh god 😨 when is the shutdown 😣😢

Shutdown, as is policy makers failing to enact legislation to fund federal goverment by the end of the fiscal year ( Sept. 30th), as in birocracy’s perpetual quarel over who gets the money. Not dramatic as it may sound in other parts of the world, but some gov. services get suspended. Mainly concerned about NVC and embassies, since they are DoS, meaning all non essential services, local workers will be furloughed, laid off, meaning longer queue for interviews. But’ will see, it is what it is. 

18 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

but immigration will use it for an excuse

longest shutdown was 21 days under Clinton 1995/96

• U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is a fee-generating agency; accordingly, it does not rely primarily on government funding. During past shutdowns, USCIS offices generally continued to operate; however, slowdowns and processing delays can be expected due to reduced staff, particularly in instances when USCIS adjudicators rely on other government functions to render decisions.

Thank you, that is what I thought. 

Edited by Amunah

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Why worry about something that hasn't happened yet?

And if it did, you have no control over it.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

10 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Why worry about something that hasn't happened yet?

And if it did, you have no control over it.

True that. Thank you. Let’s hope for the best. 

Filed: Timeline
18 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Seems like we face this every year now 

it still would slow USCIS down 

many US offices are located in Federal buildings.  if Congress fails its job and we have a shutdown,  federal buildings are affected

Immigration is funded by us who petition but embassies fall under the US budget

American diplomatic establishments, embassies and consulates, are paid for by the US Government from appropriated funds. Depending upon the arrangement we have with the host country, the land is either purchased or leased, and the buildings are either built with appropriated funds or leased. Under either arrangement, the US Government pays the bills.

While the operation of the physical Embassy building is included in the Congressionally-approved budget, the buildings do not suspend all operations during a government shut-down and, therefore, remain open and operational during a government shutdown.  More importantly, Consular Affairs — like USCIS — is a fee-funded operation. Therefore, consular services continue during the government shut down.  Some of the procedures that require information from other sources, however, may slow down.

Timeline
19 hours ago, jan22 said:

While the operation of the physical Embassy building is included in the Congressionally-approved budget, the buildings do not suspend all operations during a government shut-down and, therefore, remain open and operational during a government shutdown.  More importantly, Consular Affairs — like USCIS — is a fee-funded operation. Therefore, consular services continue during the government shut down.  Some of the procedures that require information from other sources, however, may slow down.

but FBI  and other agencies don't put a prioity on immigration background checks during a shutdown 

Shutdowns (depending on length of shutdown) do slow all down the other federal agencies 

and the post office if u r waiting for green card delivery

On 9/16/2023 at 4:13 PM, jan22 said:

Thanks for your inputs. I'm waiting for the US Embassy in the Philippines to issue my spouse an immigrant visa after submitting 221(g) documents earlier this month. If the government does shut down, do you think it's likely that this process would be slowed down/delayed in any way? It seems like the answer is "No" from your inputs above, but I would like to confirm.

Thank you,

Edited by CFS

1 hour ago, CFS said:

Thanks for your inputs. I'm waiting for the US Embassy in the Philippines to issue my spouse an immigrant visa after submitting 221(g) documents earlier this month. If the government does shut down, do you think it's likely that this process would be slowed down/delayed in any way? It seems like the answer is "No" from your inputs above, but I would like to confirm.

Thank you,

Might depend a bit on what the 221(g) documents were.  The administrative processing might slow down a bit overall, but with your documents already submitted, I dont think it should affect you much, if at all.

Edited by jan22

49 minutes ago, jan22 said:

Might depend a bit on what the 221(g) documents were.  The administrative processing might slow down a bit overall, but with your documents already submitted, I dont think it should affect you much, if at all.

Thank you, @jan22. We submitted the following documents:

• Repeat Medical Exam (which is the only thing that the 221(g) asked for)
  • New NBI Clearance (as the previous one had expired) - this was not requested
  • New CENOMAR (as the previous one was about to expire) - this was not requested
  • 2022 Tax Returns (just in case) - this was not requested
  • 6 months' records of my payslips (just in case) - this was not requested

We had previously gone through the DS-5535 process and believe we were cleared (because we received another 221(g) requesting a repeat medical exam ~60 days or so after the DS-5535 e-form was submitted). I don't know if any of the documents above have to be re-certified by the DOS or if the Embassy has to be in touch with them at all before issuing the visa...and hence my apprehension re: a potential government shutdown.

Some additional information - the Embassy confirmed receipt of our documents on Sep. 5, 2023. It took the Embassy about 1 month to issue a second 221(g) when we responded to the first 221(g) request (accidentally failed to bring original NBI clearance to the interview + 2021 tax returns were not uploaded to CEAC)...granted, this was in December 2022 and there were holidays interspersed in there...so I'm hoping that we can hear back any day now and maybe even miss the government shutdown window altogether (if it happens). 

I'm also trying to do my best not to worry....but this can be so daunting at times. Thanks for reading through this and your inputs. 

Edited by CFS

2 minutes ago, CFS said:

Thank you, @jan22. We submitted the following documents:

• Repeat Medical Exam (which is the only thing that the 221(g) asked for)
  • New NBI Clearance (as the previous one had expired) - this was not requested
  • New CENOMAR (as the previous one was about to expire) - this was not requested
  • 2022 Tax Returns (just in case) - this was not requested
  • 6 Months of my payslips (just in case) - this was not requested

We had previously gone through the DS-5535 process and believe we were cleared (because we received another 221(g) requesting a repeat medical exam ~60 days or so after the DS-5535 e-form was submitted). I don't know if any of the documents above have to be re-certified by the DOS or if the Embassy has to be in touch with them at all before issuing the visa...and hence my apprehension re: a potential government shutdown.

I'm also trying to do my best not to worry....but this can be so daunting at times. 

Thanks for your inputs!

These shouldn't cause any additional delays if the shutdown occurs.  Hopefully, you will hear good news soon!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.