Mickey + Roseni

Case approved and interview scheduled, but haven’t met in person in 15 months

19 posts in this topic

I’m aware of the 2 year in person meeting requirement to apply for the k1 visa, but what about not meeting again for a long time before the interview? Our application was approved and our interview is scheduled for September, but my fiancé and I have not met in person for 15 months. Could the interviewing counselor see that as a problem? I can’t find any requirements for this but just wondering if anyone has experience with this issue. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Mickey + Roseni said:

Could the interviewing counselor see that as a problem?

That can definitely be considered as a factor in evaluating the authenticity of the relationship.  More time together is always better for multiple reasons. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

5 minutes ago, Mickey + Roseni said:

I’m aware of the 2 year in person meeting requirement to apply for the k1 visa, but what about not meeting again for a long time before the interview? Our application was approved and our interview is scheduled for September, but my fiancé and I have not met in person for 15 months. Could the interviewing counselor see that as a problem? I can’t find any requirements for this but just wondering if anyone has experience with this issue. 

Which consulate?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Mickey + Roseni said:

Yes possibly. There are no formal

requirements to meet apart from the one you have mentioned .. but the IO is looking for evidence of bonafide relationship, of which face to face is the strongest. Can you be in the country with your fiancé at the time of the interview? 

41 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Yes possibly. There are no formal

requirements to meet apart from the one you have mentioned .. but the IO is looking for evidence of bonafide relationship, of which face to face is the strongest. Can you be in the country with your fiancé at the time of the interview? 

We have met twice and had purchased plane tickets and hotel for a third meeting. But then our petition was a approved so we canceled that trip not knowing how soon the interview would take place. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like I will be able to be there during her interview. 

1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

If its denied then you will need to marry and start the CR1 spouse process.. 2 plus years to get through that.

If it was me, I would be doing everything I could to be there for the interview or to have made short visit .. 2-3 days even .. before the interview. Whatever it takes .. 

Wow, thank you for the feedback. I will make sure to be there before the interview in that case. 

20 hours ago, Mickey + Roseni said:

We have met twice and had purchased plane tickets and hotel for a third meeting. But then our petition was a approved so we canceled that trip not knowing how soon the interview would take place. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like I will be able to be there during her interview. 

Not directed at you but others who might read this:

If you have plans to meet and then the I-129F is approved. It would be better to keep the travel plans so the beneficiary can use it as additional evidence of meeting. 

@Mickey + Roseni the CO will most likely ask your partner when last you met. It is better for her to stay (last month/last week/ they are outside the embassy). Than having to say "we met 15 months ago" and then having to explain you made an effort to meet again but canceled the trip. 

Always easier to keep things simple with immigration. 

ETA: A member out of Philippines had not met his fiance for 2 years and the visa was approved without issue. But that was when it was still difficult for people to enter and leave Philippines due to covid. Also, Philippines appear to have different standards. Not sure about Colombia. 

Edited by Redro

2 hours ago, PhatCat said:

A note to OP.  In Bogota the petitioner can attend the interview with the beneficiary. I did this recently with my Colombian fiance and the officer asked him if i was his fiance. In spite of red flags he was asked only the basic questions and we were approved in les than five minutes.

Wow that is great, congratulations. As far language goes, my Spanish is still not at a conversational level and my fiancé is not fluent in English yet. If I attend the interview do you think the language barrier would cause a problem? We can communicate on a basic level but still require some help with translation. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think you being there will definitely reinforce the validity of your relationship even if there are some language barriers.  Also, you can study in the mean time to reinforce your Spanish language skills.

1 hour ago, Mickey + Roseni said:

Wow that is great, congratulations. As far language goes, my Spanish is still not at a conversational level and my fiancé is not fluent in English yet. If I attend the interview do you think the language barrier would cause a problem? We can communicate on a basic level but still require some help with translation. 

Thanks.  In our experience and in other postings re: Bogota, they only address the beneficiary, not the petitioner.  They do ask the beneficiary who is the person accompanying them. They will likely ask your fiance what languages s/he speaks, whether you speak your fiance's language and in what language you normally communicate. Something like  "mostly Spanish but more English as I am learning" seems to be fine for the latter.  If your fiancé says s/he speaks English be prepared for them to immediately switch to English for the rest of the interview..

On a lighter note, my fiancé said the officer conducting his interview spoke heavily accented Spanish and he had some trouble understanding the questions.  This is after dealing with my Spanish for several years.

30 minutes ago, PhatCat said:

Thanks.  In our experience and in other postings re: Bogota, they only address the beneficiary, not the petitioner.  They do ask the beneficiary who is the person accompanying them. They will likely ask your fiance what languages s/he speaks, whether you speak your fiance's language and in what language you normally communicate. Something like  "mostly Spanish but more English as I am learning" seems to be fine for the latter.  If your fiancé says s/he speaks English be prepared for them to immediately switch to English for the rest of the interview..

On a lighter note, my fiancé said the officer conducting his interview spoke heavily accented Spanish and he had some trouble understanding the questions.  This is after dealing with my Spanish for several years.

That definitely takes some of the anxiety out of the situation. So, basically just stay quiet and act natural. And she will make sure to inform them that Spanish is her preferred language. 

Well, that’s a relief. I can definitely understand though knowing that even between Colombia and Venezuela the accent has differences. 

Another concern was safety in Bogotá. Did you take taxis to get around? Or use some kind of app?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.