xzsca10

How to add "AKA Name" to Passport?

22 posts in this topic

Hi VJ community! I am a US citizen of 26 years now. My wife recently immigrated here thanks to the community's help!

Today I need help for me, and I scoured the internet before making this thread. 

I recently learned that you could add a "AKA name" onto your Passport. After some googling, I found instructions on various Consulate websites like UK, Ireland.. But nothing in USA. 

Anyone know how to go about doing this? I tried calling DHS, Travel Gov, no one picks up! 

I have a stage name with online presence that I would like to add to my US Passport.

Cheers!

Link I found: https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/change-name-on-u-s-passport/

Is there a significant benefit for you to do this? Think twice, as this is not a usual piece of information in passport. Even though US is cool with it, other countries may be scratching their head when looking at your passport. 

Have you tried filling DS-82?

52 minutes ago, xzsca10 said:

Hi VJ community! I am a US citizen of 26 years now. My wife recently immigrated here thanks to the community's help!

Today I need help for me, and I scoured the internet before making this thread. 

I recently learned that you could add a "AKA name" onto your Passport. After some googling, I found instructions on various Consulate websites like UK, Ireland.. But nothing in USA. 

Anyone know how to go about doing this? I tried calling DHS, Travel Gov, no one picks up! 

I have a stage name with online presence that I would like to add to my US Passport.

Cheers!

Link I found: https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/change-name-on-u-s-passport/

Do you qualify for an AKA?
Reviewing the documents required for it: 

This is more than likely for people who have two or more citizenships and do not have the name change documentation because they have one name in the US and another name in their home country. 

• provide government issued photo ID in both names;
  • provide two or more public documents in the full legal and “known as” names.  Acceptable documents include but are not limited to:
    • school records, tax records, military records, medical records, driver’s license, federal/state/local government ID cards, property deeds, insurance records, employment records, utility bills etc; and 
  • bring two witnesses who can attest that they have known you by both names.  The two witnesses must bring valid government issued photo id with them.  You may choose to bring a third public document in lieu of a witness.

1 minute ago, Redro said:

This is more than likely for people who have two or more citizenships and do not have the name change documentation because they have one name in the US and another name in their home country. 

• provide two or more public documents in the full legal and “known as” names.  Acceptable documents include but are not limited to:
    • school records, tax records, military records, medical records, driver’s license, federal/state/local government ID cards, property deeds, insurance records, employment records, utility bills etc; and 
  • bring two witnesses who can attest that they have known you by both names.  The two witnesses must bring valid government issued photo id with them.  You may choose to bring a third public document in lieu of a witness.

where to bring? passport agency ? or court for name change?

53 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Is there a significant benefit for you to do this? Think twice, as this is not a usual piece of information in passport. Even though US is cool with it, other countries may be scratching their head when looking at your passport. 

i was thinking what if you want to purchase airplane ticket since there's only option for first middle and last name box. i know some people have issue with hypens let alone AKA

Still not clear as to what the end goal is? If it's just a cool thing to do, I wouldn't go for it. Too many complexities and unknowns that it result in when travelling.

Also, what do you do when your stage name changes? That can happen. Would you go through this procedure again? How easy is it to keep changing? I'd investigate that before trying.

Edited by OldUser

1 minute ago, Verrou said:

1 minute ago, Verrou said:

where to bring? passport agency ? or court for name change?

This is from the link OP posted. So I assume at the US embassy UK 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, xzsca10 said:

Anyone know how to go about doing this?

So getting back to your question, the instructions are covered in https://fam.state.gov/fam/08fam/08fam040301.html#M403_1_6

8 FAM 403.1-6  “KNOWN AS” AND PROFESSIONAL NAMES

(CT:CITZ-64;   11-08-2021)

a. A passport applicant who does not meet the criteria for a customary name change (see 8 FAM 403.1-4(E)), or who has assumed a name for professional or other bona fide reasons but keeps their legal name for other purposes, may have the assumed name included in the passport as a “known as” name along with the full legal name.

b. A “known as” name may be accepted on the form DS-11when the applicant:

(1)  Requests inclusion of a “known as” name;

(2)  Provides acceptable ID in both names;

(3)  Signs the application in both names; and

(4)  Submits evidence that clearly reflects that the applicant has used two or more distinct names openly and concurrently:

(a)  Two or more public or private documents such as military records, employment records, or tax records.  At least one of these documents must show current use of “known as” name and one other piece of identifying data, such as date of birth or age, place of birth, or Social Security number; and

(b)  Two affidavits executed by individuals attesting that they know the applicant by both names.  In lieu of one affidavit, a third public or private document may be submitted:

EXCEPTION:  No additional evidence is needed for an applicant who is using a previous legal name as a “known as” name.  Such an applicant does not need to submit evidence showing that they are using the names openly and concurrently.

c.  The form DS-82 requires that the applicant’s name must be exactly the same or acceptable evidence of a material name change must be presented.  This includes any “known as” names.  Because dropping a “known as” name is an immaterial name change, the applicant cannot drop a “known as” name on the form DS-82 unless the applicant can submit evidence of a material name change.  The applicant must also sign the Form DS-82 in both names.

d. A “known as” name should not be accepted when the applicant cannot demonstrate that they have used both names openly and concurrently, e.g., the applicant can only submit private documents or has only very recent documentation of the “known as” name.  Even if the applicant is not eligible to have the "known as" name printed in the passport, that name must still be cleared in TDIS.

e. You must record the “known as” name using endorsement code 08 and on the application:

(1)  If the applicant has recorded the “known as” name in block one, or if there is room to notate the “known as” name in block one, notate “K-A” in front of the “known as” name:

Indicating a known-as name in block one.

(2)  If the applicant has not recorded the “known as” name in block one and there is no room to record it there, notate “K-A” and the “known as” name in block nine:

Adding a known-as name in block nine.

f.  An applicant may assume their “known as” name as their primary name via a customary name change (see 8 FAM 403.1-4(E)).

g. If a minor applicant wishes to add a patrilineal or matrilineal last name in the absence of a naming convention (see 8 FAM 403.1-5(A)), or add a dual national name (see 8 FAM 403.1-7(B)) the name may be included in the passport as a “known as” name:

(1)  The applicant must provide two public documents, such as school and medical records showing the assumed name, and:

(a)  Both parents/legal guardians provide written consent reflecting the assumed name (see 8 FAM 703.7); or

(b)  The applying parent/legal guardian provides evidence that one parent's signature is sufficient (see 8 FAM 502.4); and

(2)  Because minor applicants do not sign the form DS-11, a parent/legal guardian of the applicant must write both the legal name and the “known as” name in the signature block (see 8 FAM 402.3 for more guidance on the applicant's signature).

So bring the evidence as per above, a copy of the above, and let your passport acceptance agent sort it out. 

2 hours ago, Redro said:

2 hours ago, Redro said:

This is from the link OP posted. So I assume at the US embassy UK 

Yes I qualify for it, I have a stage name I do business with for 5+ years now. I have an online alias which has followed me in my line of work. testimonies, contracts, you name it. 

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

So getting back to your question, the instructions are covered in https://fam.state.gov/fam/08fam/08fam040301.html#M403_1_6

8 FAM 403.1-6  “KNOWN AS” AND PROFESSIONAL NAMES

(CT:CITZ-64;   11-08-2021)

a. A passport applicant who does not meet the criteria for a customary name change (see 8 FAM 403.1-4(E)), or who has assumed a name for professional or other bona fide reasons but keeps their legal name for other purposes, may have the assumed name included in the passport as a “known as” name along with the full legal name.

b. A “known as” name may be accepted on the form DS-11when the applicant:

(1)  Requests inclusion of a “known as” name;

(2)  Provides acceptable ID in both names;

(3)  Signs the application in both names; and

(4)  Submits evidence that clearly reflects that the applicant has used two or more distinct names openly and concurrently:

(a)  Two or more public or private documents such as military records, employment records, or tax records.  At least one of these documents must show current use of “known as” name and one other piece of identifying data, such as date of birth or age, place of birth, or Social Security number; and

(b)  Two affidavits executed by individuals attesting that they know the applicant by both names.  In lieu of one affidavit, a third public or private document may be submitted:

EXCEPTION:  No additional evidence is needed for an applicant who is using a previous legal name as a “known as” name.  Such an applicant does not need to submit evidence showing that they are using the names openly and concurrently.

c.  The form DS-82 requires that the applicant’s name must be exactly the same or acceptable evidence of a material name change must be presented.  This includes any “known as” names.  Because dropping a “known as” name is an immaterial name change, the applicant cannot drop a “known as” name on the form DS-82 unless the applicant can submit evidence of a material name change.  The applicant must also sign the Form DS-82 in both names.

d. A “known as” name should not be accepted when the applicant cannot demonstrate that they have used both names openly and concurrently, e.g., the applicant can only submit private documents or has only very recent documentation of the “known as” name.  Even if the applicant is not eligible to have the "known as" name printed in the passport, that name must still be cleared in TDIS.

e. You must record the “known as” name using endorsement code 08 and on the application:

(1)  If the applicant has recorded the “known as” name in block one, or if there is room to notate the “known as” name in block one, notate “K-A” in front of the “known as” name:

Indicating a known-as name in block one.

(2)  If the applicant has not recorded the “known as” name in block one and there is no room to record it there, notate “K-A” and the “known as” name in block nine:

Adding a known-as name in block nine.

f.  An applicant may assume their “known as” name as their primary name via a customary name change (see 8 FAM 403.1-4(E)).

g. If a minor applicant wishes to add a patrilineal or matrilineal last name in the absence of a naming convention (see 8 FAM 403.1-5(A)), or add a dual national name (see 8 FAM 403.1-7(B)) the name may be included in the passport as a “known as” name:

(1)  The applicant must provide two public documents, such as school and medical records showing the assumed name, and:

(a)  Both parents/legal guardians provide written consent reflecting the assumed name (see 8 FAM 703.7); or

(b)  The applying parent/legal guardian provides evidence that one parent's signature is sufficient (see 8 FAM 502.4); and

(2)  Because minor applicants do not sign the form DS-11, a parent/legal guardian of the applicant must write both the legal name and the “known as” name in the signature block (see 8 FAM 402.3 for more guidance on the applicant's signature).

So bring the evidence as per above, a copy of the above, and let your passport acceptance agent sort it out. 

Mike, you’re the man!! Always have been incredibly helpful over the years. Thank you. Never been to a passport agent before, will find one locally and get to it!  

3 hours ago, OldUser said:

Have you tried filling DS-82?

I have actually been wanting to do this for many years, I just didn’t know it was possible. I have an online Alias that became my identity in my line of work. My entire livelihood has been made with this name. I also use it in contracts. All my client testimonies as well mention this name. I have been using it for 5+ years Now. I recently discovered it and realized it’s the perfect opportunity. Apparently many artists and entertainers do the same 

Edited by xzsca10

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
25 minutes ago, xzsca10 said:

. Never been to a passport agent before, will find one locally and get to it!  

Your first U.S. passport would have required an in person visit to passport acceptance agent such as usps office, or at a US passport agency office. 

46 minutes ago, xzsca10 said:

I have actually been wanting to do this for many years, I just didn’t know it was possible. I have an online Alias that became my identity in my line of work. My entire livelihood has been made with this name. I also use it in contracts. All my client testimonies as well mention this name. I have been using it for 5+ years Now. I recently discovered it and realized it’s the perfect opportunity. Apparently many artists and entertainers do the same 

Understood. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

The only time I've seen this in actual use has been with people from China and Taiwan that may have both a Chinese and an English name - in those cases they can get an AKA note stamped/written on one of the passport pages. I have not seen this with US passports, AFAIK people in that situation typically pick one of the names and stick with that on all official documentation.

Edited by NorthByNorthwest

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Your first U.S. passport would have required an in person visit to passport acceptance agent such as usps office, or at a US passport agency office. 

I was 9 months old when I got my first US passport!

edit: Oh okay I see, I’ve been to them before

Edited by xzsca10

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.