alexturgul28

DS-5355 After Interview (Administrative Processing)

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My husband had his interview yesterday at the embassy in Ankara and while the interviewing officer said everything looked good, my husband was issued a yellow 221(g) slip and given his passport back. They later emailed us requesting us to fill out the DS-5355 form. No extra documents were requested on the yellow slip as he brought everything needed to the interview.

We are so devastated by this. After waiting so long to get an interview only to have to wait who knows how many more months for them to do extra security checks. Does anyone know what could have triggered them to want a DS-5355 form? I have read many interview reviews from other Turkish people on here and none had this issue. Could it be someone else has a similar name to his and is on some sort of watchlist? Would where he is from in Turkey (Sanliurfa near the border with Syria) be an issue? My husband is in his mid-20's and has never even left the country and does not have a job that would warrant further checks (is a waiter). I don't even understand the point of the DS-5355 - the only new information it asks for is sibling names and birthdays. Everything else (past 15 years work, travel, and address history, social media, and prior spouses and children) is already provided in the visa application.

Does anyone, especially from Turkey, have experience with this type of AP? I know the processing time varies from case to case, but hearing other's experiences with how long it took would help us navigate this difficult time.

Thanks all!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

My husband went through the same thing although he is not Turkish. He is Iraqi and was assigned to Ankara embassy. He received the DS-5535 and we waited a year before filing a WOM. Our lawsuit took only 3 months to complete everything, and he is finally here. He only traveled to Turkey (where we would vacation together) and Syria. No one knows how or why people are selected. I read so many cases that their fiance/spouse never traveled and got the DS-5535. Perhaps he has a name that pinged the system. Washington will have to do their checks, as we were told many times this cannot be expedited, just wait and check your emails. Once they are done with their checks then the embassy will proceed. Some cases complete in a few weeks and others, a year or more. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully more couples with this experience will chime in. Sending prayers your way and that you will be reunited soon. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

make sure the ds 5535 has exactly the same info as the ds 260 

what triggers these?

can be the CO feels something is strange OR just making sure all is on the "up and up"  as it is their own job security the CO worries about

can be any of the Red Flag issues posted on Nolo.com

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/red-flags-that-make-uscis-suspect-marriage-fraud.html

or birth country

travel history

name that is similiar to another visa applicant

Timeline
2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

make sure the ds 5535 has exactly the same info as the ds 260 

what triggers these?

can be the CO feels something is strange OR just making sure all is on the "up and up"  as it is their own job security the CO worries about

can be any of the Red Flag issues posted on Nolo.com

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/red-flags-that-make-uscis-suspect-marriage-fraud.html

or birth country

travel history

name that is similiar to another visa applicant

Yes, I've read too that all of those issues can cause the ds-5535 to be issued. What I don't understand for our case is that he has a) no travel history and b) was told by the consular officer that all of our evidence and the overall interview were great. So I don't get why they would say that but then not approve the visa. Maybe it is his name is similar to another applicant.

Not really looking for specific answers because I'm not sure there are any, just need a place to vent my frustrations! 

And another odd thing is the ds-5535 specifically says to not repeat any job, work, or travel history that was already put on the ds-260. So we had nothing new to even put under these items because it was all entered on the ds-260 already.

17 hours ago, alexturgul28 said:

Yes, I've read too that all of those issues can cause the ds-5535 to be issued. What I don't understand for our case is that he has a) no travel history and b) was told by the consular officer that all of our evidence and the overall interview were great. So I don't get why they would say that but then not approve the visa. Maybe it is his name is similar to another applicant.

Not really looking for specific answers because I'm not sure there are any, just need a place to vent my frustrations! 

And another odd thing is the ds-5535 specifically says to not repeat any job, work, or travel history that was already put on the ds-260. So we had nothing new to even put under these items because it was all entered on the ds-260 already.

Even babies who are 1 or 2 years old have been issued a DS-5535.

I'm not sure what triggers the flag. 

You won't ever get an answer. 

Hopefully the process won't be too long and you don't have to file a WOM. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Same thing happened to us. Iraq. Muslim. DS-5535. We had to file WOM. Got put into administrative processing. Then got past admin processing. But still wouldn’t give visa. They said medical was expired. I showed proof it still had 6 months till expired. They said ok ur right but we still arent gonna issue visa. No reason. Wouldnt tell us anything. Couldnt contact embassy. Etc. filed WOM. Got visa with something like a week to get to USA before it expired. 
crazy. Hope yall dont have to go through that. 

Timeline
On 7/20/2023 at 9:50 AM, Ailene and Ali said:

My husband went through the same thing although he is not Turkish. He is Iraqi and was assigned to Ankara embassy. He received the DS-5535 and we waited a year before filing a WOM. Our lawsuit took only 3 months to complete everything, and he is finally here. He only traveled to Turkey (where we would vacation together) and Syria. No one knows how or why people are selected. I read so many cases that their fiance/spouse never traveled and got the DS-5535. Perhaps he has a name that pinged the system. Washington will have to do their checks, as we were told many times this cannot be expedited, just wait and check your emails. Once they are done with their checks then the embassy will proceed. Some cases complete in a few weeks and others, a year or more. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully more couples with this experience will chime in. Sending prayers your way and that you will be reunited soon. 

May not have expired with dr office but immigration   has a 6 month expiration date for medicals  so u needed to redo medical exam because a visa , when issued,  expires 6 months from date of the medical

Timeline
19 hours ago, alexturgul28 said:

but u did have to fill out the other parts of the ds 5535 

siblings

adddresses

phone #'s

social media sites

all of the rest 

sometimes i  think embassies do all to discourage us and  to make us "just give up"

Don't

Timeline
2 hours ago, HKS said:

Same thing happened to us. Iraq. Muslim. DS-5535. We had to file WOM. Got put into administrative processing. Then got past admin processing. But still wouldn’t give visa. They said medical was expired. I showed proof it still had 6 months till expired. They said ok ur right but we still arent gonna issue visa. No reason. Wouldnt tell us anything. Couldnt contact embassy. Etc. filed WOM. Got visa with something like a week to get to USA before it expired. 
crazy. Hope yall dont have to go through that. 

Oh gosh I hope that doesn't happen to us! I am glad you were able to get to the US in the end. I can't imagine how stressful that must've been, especially with them continuing to refuse to issue the visa. This whole process is so discriminatory and unfair!

Timeline
2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

but u did have to fill out the other parts of the ds 5535 

siblings

adddresses

phone #'s

social media sites

all of the rest 

sometimes i  think embassies do all to discourage us and  to make us "just give up"

Don't

Yes we did fill put down his siblings' info and one new address he's had since we filled out the ds-260 (it says not to repeat addresses already on there), and the social media stuff. Luckily he's only ever had 1 phone number and email so those were easy. 

I agree, this whole process is super discouraging, and being in a long distance relationship is already hard enough...

Timeline
1 hour ago, alexturgul28 said:

Yes we did fill put down his siblings' info and one new address he's had since we filled out the ds-260 (it says not to repeat addresses already on there), and the social media stuff. Luckily he's only ever had 1 phone number and email so those were easy. 

I agree, this whole process is super discouraging, and being in a long distance relationship is already hard enough...

but its so important that NOW the siblings are listed so when he becomes a USC,  he can apply for sibling (long  process,  yes,  but do-able)

and down the road USCIS would check to see siblings were listed on this ds5535

Timeline
On 7/20/2023 at 9:32 AM, alexturgul28 said:

Hi everyone,

My husband had his interview yesterday at the embassy in Ankara and while the interviewing officer said everything looked good, my husband was issued a yellow 221(g) slip and given his passport back. They later emailed us requesting us to fill out the DS-5355 form. No extra documents were requested on the yellow slip as he brought everything needed to the interview.

We are so devastated by this. After waiting so long to get an interview only to have to wait who knows how many more months for them to do extra security checks. Does anyone know what could have triggered them to want a DS-5355 form? I have read many interview reviews from other Turkish people on here and none had this issue. Could it be someone else has a similar name to his and is on some sort of watchlist? Would where he is from in Turkey (Sanliurfa near the border with Syria) be an issue? My husband is in his mid-20's and has never even left the country and does not have a job that would warrant further checks (is a waiter). I don't even understand the point of the DS-5355 - the only new information it asks for is sibling names and birthdays. Everything else (past 15 years work, travel, and address history, social media, and prior spouses and children) is already provided in the visa application.

Does anyone, especially from Turkey, have experience with this type of AP? I know the processing time varies from case to case, but hearing other's experiences with how long it took would help us navigate this difficult time.

Thanks all!

Hi, my husband is a Turkish citizen and  he was also requested to fill out the DS-5535. We have been waiting 3 months so far since submitting the form (It took them a month after the interview to send us the form). 

I wish you the best and hope you get through AP quickly! 

Edited by N&E

Timeline
52 minutes ago, N&E said:

Hi, my husband is a Turkish citizen and  he was also requested to fill out the DS-5535. We have been waiting 3 months so far since submitting the form (It took them a month after the interview to send us the form). 

I wish you the best and hope you get through AP quickly! 

Hi,

Do you know why you were issued that form? Like does your husband have an extensive travel history? Did they ask you to provide any additional documents as well?

I also hope you get out of AP soon!

Timeline
1 hour ago, alexturgul28 said:

Hi,

Do you know why you were issued that form? Like does your husband have an extensive travel history? Did they ask you to provide any additional documents as well?

I also hope you get out of AP soon!

We can't know for sure why but we are guessing that it is because of his extensive travel history (due to his career), his military service (which is mandatory for Turkish males), or because he lives in a Province bordering Syria. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.