Swimming_Upstream

Do these visa categories really contribute to US economy?

113 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Oooooh… you don’t even want to be here OR hustle? I think @Swimming_Upstream would say you are the worst type of spousal GC recipient… you should turn in your green card NOW and give it to a much more deserving Student Visa Holder or Adult Child of an LPR/USC… 😉😉😉

I have never denied being the worst of the worst 😉 All I am saying is that some people make choices they can live with but might not favor. IF I had a problem living in the US I would not subject myself to the insanity, but at the same time I would be ok not going.

However I feel my parents would haunt me forever would I give up my citizenship 😉

On a more serious note, depending on what you want for your life the US can be wonderful, but that largely depends on what you want in life.

Edited by LucindaLou

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
22 hours ago, Demise said:

Okay, explain in your own words what do you think this means.

This means that the FX category is an unnecessary privilege to certain spouses who are not restricted by any limits. This is done so that the category doesn't get jammed up like other categories (F1, F2B, F3, F4, E2, E3...), but at the same time they have the F2A category so that no single country can monopolize this category, and other countries can get a chance to squeeze through. 

But that's meaningless too. Here's how:
In May 2023 top FX and F2A receiving countries are listed below:

Foreign State of Chargeability or Place of Birth Visa Class Issuances
China – mainland born F2A 88
China – mainland born FX 47
Cuba F2A 1,234
Cuba FX 392
Dominican Republic F2A 1,258
Dominican Republic FX 1,245
El Salvador F2A 90
El Salvador FX 81
Haiti FX 116
Haiti F2A 18
India F2A 254
India FX 84
Jamaica F2A 142
Jamaica FX 77
Mexico FX 1,835
Philippines FX 227
Philippines F2A 178
Vietnam F2A 314
Vietnam FX 217

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

And this FX vs F2A craziness wouldn't have happened if only all Green card (LPR) candidates included their spouses (and children) in their original applications as derivative beneficiaries.

So I believe this is how the system plays out. At the beginning of each fiscal year (October), Spouse applications start pouring in. Officials see that the Exempt category of FX is fresh, open with ~65,950 spots available (75% of 77% of 114,000). They start filling them in. By let's say around May of following year all 65,950 spots get filled up. Then they start the F2A category, with ~21,983 spots available, BUT with country limitations. No one country can get more than 7% of this 21,983 spots. So it's possible that the first 14 countries with the most Green card hungry applicants can theoretically fill out these spots (7% x 14 ~ 100%). If you are on the 15th country, you are out of luck,- unless there are some leftovers from other categories.

Edited by Swimming_Upstream

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Sincere question, please:  Consequent to this discussion, what are we trying to resolve?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Hello to all,

My 2 cents :

USA needs immigrant :

There is not enough American to sustain the growth of the US economy.

The birth rate is too low.

USA has been made by immigrant. No more immigrant means Google, Tesla, Apple, Best buy, etc would have never existed...

The actual immigrant system is broken. Whatever priority you will give, people will be frustrated. So either they will go to some other countries (Canada, Europe, Asia...). Or they will develop a feeling of ´haters´.

My suggestion, open the border.

Of course, they should be some filter on bad guys. But I am convinced that the system will auto regulate. It will grow the economy of the other countries (at the same time), which then reduce the need to leave the country of origin. It is a virtuous circle.

Look for example : Europe and the Schengen area.  French can work in Spain, A German can work in Portugal. No need of any visa. Does it mean that Spain invade France by a ton of immigrant...nope. What about when the wall between east and west has been broken. Does it mean the poor guy from the east invade west germany, nope.....

Most people actually love their own country. I know you could find some counter example of course.But if you leave your country of origin, it is for a good reason. Not only for fun.

And last advantage, imagine the saving for the US economy: No need of any more USCIS, Lawyer, Consulate, etc...

Especially today with some job being done at home. You could work anywhere in the world. Some countries set up some specific remote worker visa to attract more business, more opportunities to come in their country.

And they don't have some many different types of code, type of sorting, if you are a US resident, or an LPR, if it is for a family (spouse,  or kid, above or below 21y), work, so complicated....

The question is not who to prioritize or which one profit most to the US economy, the question is does the actual immigrant system is still a mean to sustain the US growth on long term and the place of USA in the world? And the answer is : no, because the system need to be more open.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How are we going to save the Planet, what about Net Zero?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Well, my solution reduces the number of trip to your final country. Because you know you will be approved, then you don't have to let your spouse, kid or whoever in the country of origin. And then you don't need to ask them to come under a touristic visa or you don't have to go yourself to join them again. So you save on trip.

And we already know some people already immigrate due to ecological problem in their countries....so better to save them.....

Timeline

Would they not want to go back and visit family and friends?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

It is a consequence of your plan, the US has the highest emissions per person so a lot more people means a lot more emissions.

Just think of the forests that will need to be cut down to build the houses, the amount of concrete needed to be poured.

Timeline

Got yah

They would need to be educated before allowed entry.

2 hours ago, 12juillet said:

Hello to all,

My 2 cents :

USA needs immigrant :

The birth rate is too low.

USA has been made by immigrant. No more immigrant means Google, Tesla, Apple, Best buy, etc would have never existed...

The actual immigrant system is broken. Whatever priority you will give, people will be frustrated. So either they will go to some other countries (Canada, Europe, Asia...). Or they will develop a feeling of ´haters´.

Of course, they should be some filter on bad guys. But I am convinced that the system will auto regulate. It will grow the economy of the other countries (at the same time), which then reduce the need to leave the country of origin. It is a virtuous circle.

Look for example : Europe and the Schengen area.  French can work in Spain, A German can work in Portugal. No need of any visa. Does it mean that Spain invade France by a ton of immigrant...nope. What about when the wall between east and west has been broken. Does it mean the poor guy from the east invade west germany, nope.....

Most people actually love their own country. I know you could find some counter example of course.But if you leave your country of origin, it is for a good reason. Not only for fun.

And last advantage, imagine the saving for the US economy: No need of any more USCIS, Lawyer, Consulate, etc...

Especially today with some job being done at home. You could work anywhere in the world. Some countries set up some specific remote worker visa to attract more business, more opportunities to come in their country.

And they don't have some many different types of code, type of sorting, if you are a US resident, or an LPR, if it is for a family (spouse,  or kid, above or below 21y), work, so complicated....

The question is not who to prioritize or which one profit most to the US economy, the question is does the actual immigrant system is still a mean to sustain the US growth on long term and the place of USA in the world? And the answer is : no, because the system need to be more open.

The idealistic part of me agrees that the word should adopt the EU style freedom of movement, based on the logic you presented. In the poorer EU member-states the flow of migration has often reversed (people moving back to the original countries and those born in richer countries seeking unexplored business niches). The process is guided by a kind of law of diffusion: a tendency to make systems equal after removing the barrier between them. 

But the EU didn't just open the borders. It took decades for prospective members to meet the strict criteria, and, importantly, they had to be willing to trade some of their sovereignty for the greater good of the Union. I don't see Canada doing this with the US (relatively similar economies and political systems), let alone Mexico, much less the rest of the world.

Edited by randomstairs
03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

Timeline

France does not seem to be enjoying it that much currently 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
6 hours ago, 12juillet said:

USA needs immigrant :

The birth rate is too low

Yes. U.S. needs younger immigrants.

7 hours ago, 12juillet said:

Of course, they should be some filter on bad guys. But I am convinced that the system will auto regulate

I largely agree.

7 hours ago, 12juillet said:

the question is does the actual immigrant system is still a mean to sustain the US growth on long term and the place of USA in the world? And the answer is : no, because the system need to be more open.

Yes

5 hours ago, randomstairs said:

I don't see Canada doing this with the US (relatively similar economies and political systems)

I think it is inevitable. UK / Ireland, India / Nepal, Australia / NZ all provide freedom of movement, and the analogies are apt (freedom of movement between relatively high populous and low populous countries), but it will not do anything to address the U.S.’s aging population problem. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.