katiek

Health insurance for immigrant Senior Parents

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I understand that parent immigrants (IR5 Visa and Green Card Holders) are not eligible for medicare or the state versions of the affordable care act programs. What are people doing to insure their parents/in-laws or to get healthcare for them? Private market premiums looks to be around $1200/month. We anticipate needing a physical and some follow up related to physical therapy as well as dental care in the first year. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
8 minutes ago, katiek said:

state versions of the affordable care act programs

News to my wife. She joined ACA while still an LPR

*** Moved from Tax & Finances forum to Your New Life In America forum, where insurance-related topics are discussed ***

13 minutes ago, katiek said:

I understand that parent immigrants (IR5 Visa and Green Card Holders) are not eligible for medicare or the state versions of the affordable care act programs.

GC holders are eligible for ACA programs.  Says so here -- https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/immigration-status/

image.png.2b2eb54a2550bac8d1fef6f72586c3a1.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

California look at Medicaid, well Medi Cal there. Immigrants can get it from Day 1.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
7 hours ago, katiek said:

I understand that parent immigrants (IR5 Visa and Green Card Holders) are not eligible for medicare or the state versions of the affordable care act programs. What are people doing to insure their parents/in-laws or to get healthcare for them? Private market premiums looks to be around $1200/month. We anticipate needing a physical and some follow up related to physical therapy as well as dental care in the first year. 

I moved to Tennessee in late 2021 on an IR5 and have been on ACA since the start of 2022. I qualify because I'm self-employed and earning under the maximum limit of $54,360 per year. It was very easy to apply for it and to report on my annual tax return. Like you, I would have been paying about $1200 a month but instead the ACA tax credits mean I'm paying under $300 (although that doesn't include dental). 

Edited by Ewan

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Ewan said:

I moved to Tennessee in late 2021 on an IR5 and have been on ACA since the start of 2022. I qualify because I'm self-employed and earning under the maximum limit of $54,360 per year. It was very easy to apply for it and to report on my annual tax return. Like you, I would have been paying about $1200 a month but instead the ACA tax credits mean I'm paying under $300 (although that doesn't include dental). 

Thank you! That was our plan but then i might have confused Medicaid with Medicare and wasn’t sure if there was a 5 year wait. So you’d still have had to wait for your green card and employment authorization to come? Or maybe just the notice of action for green card? We just sent in the $220 for the green card but it says it could be 90 days. Did you do anything to cover yourself during the first few months?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, katiek said:

Thank you! That was our plan but then i might have confused Medicaid with Medicare and wasn’t sure if there was a 5 year wait. So you’d still have had to wait for your green card and employment authorization to come? Or maybe just the notice of action for green card? We just sent in the $220 for the green card but it says it could be 90 days. Did you do anything to cover yourself during the first few months?

Apply as soon as they enter using  the stamped visa as evidence of their LPR status  

Edited by Lil bear

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
9 hours ago, katiek said:

My timings just seemed to work out. I did my first port of entry in September 2021, then went back to my home country soon after to sort out some things. I re-entered the US in November, by which time my physical green card had been delivered. I got short-term medical insurance for six weeks (called a local agent and asked about plans) and then my ACA started.
As for Medicare, I believe you have to pay into it through your taxes for 10 years before you become eligible. Although you can purchase Medicare Part A after residing legally in the U.S. for five years continuously. That's where my knowledge of the system ends.

On 6/21/2023 at 11:15 PM, katiek said:

So you’d still have had to wait for your green card and employment authorization to come?

No need to wait for the plastic GC.  Your parents can submit a scan of their IR5 visa with CBP entry stamp.  The entry stamp is important.  I have first-hand experience that the endorsed visa is enough.  Healthcare.gov confirmed my eligibility after I submitted a scan of my IR1 visa + CBP stamp (though I ended up not applying as my spouse was able to add me to his insurance plan from work, fortunately).

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Chancy said:

No need to wait for the plastic GC.  Your parents can submit a scan of their IR5 visa with CBP entry stamp.  The entry stamp is important.  I have first-hand experience that the endorsed visa is enough.  Healthcare.gov confirmed my eligibility after I submitted a scan of my IR1 visa + CBP stamp (though I ended up not applying as my spouse was able to add me to his insurance plan from work, fortunately).

Thanks good news. Can I ask if your experience was in the last few years? Were your parents/in-laws healthcare rates based on your income?. One state administer i spoke with said that under Trump the rules changed so that healthcare is tied to to the sponsors income until the immigrant becomes a citizen. So, even if the immigrant files taxes separately and we don’t claim them as a dependent, the health insurance rate will still be based on the sponsors income for those 5+ years. That total combined income is what’s making our monthly premiums at $1200. We are also waiting for an in person visit (4 week wait) for just the eligibility review to apply. Healthcare.gov application couldn’t move foreword without an in person visit. 

Just now, katiek said:

Thanks good news. Can I ask if your experience was in the last few years? Were your parents/in-laws healthcare rates based on your income?. One state administer i spoke with said that under Trump the rules changed so that healthcare is tied to to the sponsors income until the immigrant becomes a citizen. So, even if the immigrant files taxes separately and we don’t claim them as a dependent, the health insurance rate will still be based on the sponsors income for those 5+ years. That total combined income is what’s making our monthly premiums at $1200. We are also waiting for an in person visit (4 week wait) for just the eligibility review to apply. Healthcare.gov application couldn’t move foreword without an in person visit. 

Oh also this is IR5 visa, so the rules may be different. 

Timeline

Are you in California?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, katiek said:

Can I ask if your experience was in the last few years?

Yes, my experience was within the past 2 years.  ACA rules are the same for all immigrant visa entrants, whether IR5 or IR1.  I'm talking about the Healthcare.gov eligibility check for immigration status before even selecting the specific ACA plan.  The endorsed immigrant visa is enough for the immigration status check.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Yes, my experience was within the past 2 years.  ACA rules are the same for all immigrant visa entrants, whether IR5 or IR1.  I'm talking about the Healthcare.gov eligibility check for immigration status before even selecting the specific ACA plan.  The endorsed immigrant visa is enough for the immigration status check.

Did someone sponsor you for immigration?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, katiek said:

Yes

You do you personally I like free stuff when it is available.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.