paddingtonlover

wanting to visit US, what's the most effective way to get approved?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello! I'm 26F, and i've been wanting to visit my friends and relatives in US for quite some time now. 

I can fully fund my trip and my expenses, however i work freelance because i'm currently taking oral chemotherapy medications. 

Are my monthly doctor's appointments enough for the embassy to believe that i won't overstay in the US? 

What other documentations do i need to bring to support my application?

Thank you! :)

Timeline
42 minutes ago, MaxP22 said:

You missed the most important part of the equation - what country are you from?

i'm from the philippines! lol sorry it's my first time asking questions on a forum like this. 

1 hour ago, paddingtonlover said:

i'm from the philippines! lol sorry it's my first time asking questions on a forum like this. 

That's alright. Unfortunately it is difficult for Filipinos/as to get visas for other countries due to obvious reasons I am sure you already know.

Doctors appointments are not really a tie and probably bring more questions than answers, such as adequate travel insurance and possible medical expenses if needed.

As you work freelance, this is also against you as you don't have a regular paying job with a contract etc that will show you will return to PH.

Overall your chances of getting approved are not very high, but the only thing you have to lose is the application fee.

There is no documentation required, certainly none of my documents were looked at when I went for my B2 visa interview. All the information is on the application form and they will ask any further questions. In your specific scenario I would probably bring a bank statement just in case they ask for your available funds.

I'm not sure on the current wait times for an appointment so if I was you I would book it ASAP. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You only have the fee at risk. Documentation your Passport and receipt.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

wait  time for manila interview is 158 days

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html

Do u own property in Philippines?

Do u have family here in the US?

Are any of the friends a possible suitor?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline
17 hours ago, paddingtonlover said:

hello! I'm 26F, and i've been wanting to visit my friends and relatives in US for quite some time now. 

I can fully fund my trip and my expenses, however i work freelance because i'm currently taking oral chemotherapy medications. 

Are my monthly doctor's appointments enough for the embassy to believe that i won't overstay in the US? 

Do you have any other strong ties to your country ? Some strong relationships? Family, significant other, clients who are in contract with you? School? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 hours ago, paddingtonlover said:

>:> 26F

Assuming you are single, this will be strong negative 

>> fully fund your trip

People who a relatively low income, especially compared to USA standards generally don't spend most of their life savings to make a short trip to visit their friends. So you will need far more than just being able to afford the trip such to make it OBVIOUS you have no need to work or stay in usa.

>> Freelance

So you job is flexible and you could adjust yourself and work in the usa

>> Take chemotherapy

So you are likely to find better doctors and medical care and then will want to stay in the usa, and/or have massive unpaid hospital bills

>> visit relatives and friends

Strong ties to the USA, and if any of them overstayed, etc... then....

:>> Documentation

They don't go by documentation.

They will use common sense based on the above and deny you very quickly.

Then you will have a visa denial on your immigration record forever, and if you ever decide to apply for a tourist visa to a country like Canada, that will base the decision on documentation you will need to declare the denial and it will hurt your case, and possibly future usa visa interviews, depending on exactly what you say or exxagerate.   And every word you said will be in your history forever. 

Feel free to try, but you had better be super honest as they will know if you are misrepresenting, and just know you are extremely, close to zero chance of getting a visa, unless you have  major very high revenue job, house, immediate family, and it is extemely evident by your job, income, savings, that you have no reasons to stay or work in the usa. of course, thats just my opinion and based on a lot of personal experience with the usa embassy in the Philippines, so you can believe someone more optimistic than me and give it a try.  

Timeline
7 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

wait  time for manila interview is 158 days

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html

Do u own property in Philippines?

Do u have family here in the US?

Are any of the friends a possible suitor?

i don't own a property in the philippines. my parents does, though! 

> we have relatives in the US, yes. but they are living decent jobs and even one of them is a doctor. 

> no they're not suitors, she is just my best friend who i haven't met in person for a while who helped me during cancer. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, W199 said:

>:> 26F

Assuming you are single, this will be strong negative 

>> fully fund your trip

People who a relatively low income, especially compared to USA standards generally don't spend most of their life savings to make a short trip to visit their friends. So you will need far more than just being able to afford the trip such to make it OBVIOUS you have no need to work or stay in usa.

>> Freelance

So you job is flexible and you could adjust yourself and work in the usa

>> Take chemotherapy

So you are likely to find better doctors and medical care and then will want to stay in the usa, and/or have massive unpaid hospital bills

>> visit relatives and friends

Strong ties to the USA, and if any of them overstayed, etc... then....

:>> Documentation

They don't go by documentation.

They will use common sense based on the above and deny you very quickly.

Then you will have a visa denial on your immigration record forever, and if you ever decide to apply for a tourist visa to a country like Canada, that will base the decision on documentation you will need to declare the denial and it will hurt your case, and possibly future usa visa interviews, depending on exactly what you say or exxagerate.   And every word you said will be in your history forever. 

Feel free to try, but you had better be super honest as they will know if you are misrepresenting, and just know you are extremely, close to zero chance of getting a visa, unless you have  major very high revenue job, house, immediate family, and it is extemely evident by your job, income, savings, that you have no reasons to stay or work in the usa. of course, thats just my opinion and based on a lot of personal experience with the usa embassy in the Philippines, so you can believe someone more optimistic than me and give it a try.  

> my relatives are US citizens now. none of them overstayed and they are working prominent fields. 

will this help my case in visiting them? i honestly don't want to overstay and genuinely just wanna visit since i recovered from cancer. 

> all my health bills are paid. i'm just currently being observed as leukemia needs constant monitoring, but i'm in remission status for almost a year. 

>will showing a hefty bank account be enough to show them that i can support myself? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A good travel history is one of the best pieces of evidence.

Have you traveled to other countries and faithfully returned?

It might increase your odds to travel somewhere non-U.S. first, even for just a long weekend.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.