Nickm1002

Interview Divorce Degree

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I finally have an interview scheduled for Aug 23rd in Montreal!

They want Original of the Divorce Degree, Not copies.

My Fiance was divorced in Texas for the I-129F we sent in an electronic copy I purchased from the County District Clerk's office online and printed off.

It was accepted fine, but I was reading people's direct comments about the Montreal Consulate and they were saying they didn't want copies only the "original"

Does this printed off version I bought electronically count as the "original" I'm very nervous and don't wanna be turned away or get a delay at the interview.

I've attached what I have below, this is what I used for the I-129F and what I plan to print off and use again for the interview.

What It looked like when I was ordering it :

2040308441_Screenshot2023-06-08at17-27-44RFEforproofofdivorce(help).thumb.png.123690aa5a396200bc06519d900ead78.png

The Final Page of the document :

1911291143_Screenshot2023-06-08at16-55-23Mail-TiffanyM-Outlook.thumb.png.3fa5e34fc621d85068fcb53f390ce65f.png

I just don't know if it will be a problem it doesn't have a raised seal or anything since its a printed off version electronically etc..

Thank you very much,
Nick

Edited by Nickm1002

41 minutes ago, Nickm1002 said:

Hey guys, I finally have an interview scheduled for Aug 23rd in Montreal!

They want Original of the Divorce Degree, Not copies.

My Fiance was divorced in Texas for the I-129F we sent in an electronic copy I purchased from the County District Clerk's office online and printed off.

It was accepted fine, but I was reading people's direct comments about the Montreal Consulate and they were saying they didn't want copies only the "original"

Does this printed off version I bought electronically count as the "original" I'm very nervous and don't wanna be turned away or get a delay at the interview.

I've attached what I have below, this is what I used for the I-129F and what I plan to print off and use again for the interview.

What It looked like when I was ordering it :

2040308441_Screenshot2023-06-08at17-27-44RFEforproofofdivorce(help).thumb.png.123690aa5a396200bc06519d900ead78.png

The Final Page of the document :

1911291143_Screenshot2023-06-08at16-55-23Mail-TiffanyM-Outlook.thumb.png.3fa5e34fc621d85068fcb53f390ce65f.png

I just don't know if it will be a problem it doesn't have a raised seal or anything since its a printed off version electronically etc..

Thank you very much,
Nick

Certified copies are considered to be originals.   For most vital statistic type documents (MC, birth and death certs), the owner of the document is the jurisdiction where it is filed, such as your county or state.  

I would get an actual certified copy (vs a photocopy or electronic copy).   It will have a seal of the county clerk (or similar) in wet ink.

Edited by SalishSea

36 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Certified copies are considered to be originals.   For most vital statistic type documents (MC, birth and death certs), the owner of the document is the jurisdiction where it is filed, such as your county or state.  

I would get an actual certified copy (vs a photocopy or electronic copy).   It will have a seal of the county clerk (or similar) in wet ink.

Okay, I will do that.

Can you usually go into the office directly and get that? or will I have to order it online.

44 minutes ago, Nickm1002 said:

Okay, I will do that.

Can you usually go into the office directly and get that? or will I have to order it online.

I have no idea.  Check with your county/state department of records.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can get it directly from the office clerk. At least in Fort Bend County you have to pay per page...looks like your fiancé's is 40 pages long...mine was 54+ and it's like a dollar or two per page. I gave my fiancé a copy I got from our county clerk for her interview (Philippines). They took that and put it in to the envelope that was given to the immigration officers during her entry in to the US. For whatever reason, the immigration officer kept the divorce decree & whatever other documents that the consulate put into the envelope during the interview process. She asked the officer during entry if they would be returning those documents but the officer told her that it was their copies & kept it. This was only a few weeks ago, so I'm not really sure what documents were a part of that envelope package.

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
Kawika & Michelle

Together since June 10th, 2020.

Cebu, Philippines to Katy, TX.

Facebook group for Filipinas & their partners who are living in or will be moving to Texas...

www.facebook.com/groups/texasfilipinacouples/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Texas needs one-page divorce certificates, in the style of birth certificates.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Nickm1002 said:

My fiance is going on Friday to get the Divorce Degree that we already have, but from the office directly hoping it will have a raised seal... If not a huge waste of money lol.

I know you need to have proof of name change, Her name change is in the divorce decree, so is that good?

Thanks

If the decree is the document that facilitated the name change then that is what they need.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 7/18/2023 at 9:27 AM, Nickm1002 said:

My fiance is going on Friday to get the Divorce Degree that we already have, but from the office directly hoping it will have a raised seal... If not a huge waste of money lol.

I know you need to have proof of name change, Her name change is in the divorce decree, so is that good?

Thanks

The county office that your fiance is getting the Divorce Decree from should be able to certify it. There will likely be an additional fee.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 7/18/2023 at 9:27 AM, Nickm1002 said:

Thanks

I'm curious how much the certified copy costs your fiancee. For me, in Washington state, it's only $6 for a certified copy.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Certified copies are considered original. I had to get my certified copies of my past divorces for my fiances interview. You need them sent to you! I flew out to take them to him, because sent over email is NOT THE certified copy. You need the actual document that was stamped certified, from their hand.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.