GEOntificator

N-400 Online Filing Required Docs

54 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2023 at 2:17 PM, Crazy Cat said:

There are no disadvantages.  We uploaded 5 years tax transcripts when wife applied online.  The USCIS officer never even asked for them.  I am 100% certain he would have asked for them had I not already uploaded. 

I applied online under 5 years. I didn't submit any taxes. I submitted only what the online application asked for: GC and marriage certificate. I did bring tax transcripts with me for the interview, but I was never asked to show them. I'm pretty sure they have all the info when you apply for N-400. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 hours ago, FriendlyUser said:

I'm pretty sure they have all the info when you apply for N-400

You think they query the IRS?  I don't.  The links @Mike E provided above indicate N-400 cases can be delayed by not providing tax records.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

17 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

You think they query the IRS?  I don't.  The links @Mike E provided above indicate N-400 cases can be delayed by not providing tax records.

I'm not experienced in this kind of field, so I trust your opinion. Having read multiple topics on this forum I came to a conclusion that there is always a possibility something may delay or even ruin your case. 

I submitted just two of the required evidence mainly because the online application said anything else was optional. I also consulted two out-of-state immigration lawyers and one really great NYC immigration lawyer prior to applying (just in case I myslef wasn't aware of some hidden difficulties). All three said to submit only required evidence and to bring additional ones (incl. taxes) for an interview in case they ask to look at them. The NYC lawyer asked me multiple questions regarding my life in the States, including work and taxes. She said my case is very straightforward, totally DIY. I've also never had any weird tax situations (like in that link regarding being exempt from paying taxes). Always paid them on time, never owed anything. So I guess that also helped.  

I'm quite organised when it comes to paperwork. So as advised, I brought everything I had for the interview, including tax paperwork since 2011 (when I started working in the States). The only tax related question I was asked at the interview was if I owe anything to the IRS (it was one of their "yes/no" questions). I replied "never owed anything". The officer immediately moved to the next question and didn't ask for any supporting evidence at all. 

I just wanted to share my experience in case someone finds it helpful. However, I do admit every applicant should research this topic and then make their own decision on how to proceed. 

Timeline
On 5/28/2023 at 2:10 AM, FriendlyUser said:

All three said to submit only required evidence and to bring additional ones (incl. taxes) for an interview in case they ask to look at them.

I'm not questioning your personal experience.  I am questioning the guidance of an attorney who says "just submit required items only".  Over prepared is fully prepared, in my book. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

“I’ve never been had a fire in my house; so you don’t need a fire extinguisher in yours.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
On 5/23/2023 at 7:13 AM, mam521 said:

I'm with @Loren Y - this is one you can totally DIY.  I did my application myself and just naturalized last month.  

Never hurts to frontload the petition and avoid the RFE's Mike E mentioned.  

Exactly what I did, I submitted everything they would ask for at the interview- that way they already have everything on their desk👍

14 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

I'm not questioning your personal experience.  I am questioning the guidance of an attorney who says "just submit required items".  Over prepared is fully prepared, in my book. 

I finally understand your point now. Seems like we just have a different approach in this regards: you prefer and recommend to be over-prepared with the application no matter what, while I think that submitting supporting evidence with the application itself is not always necessary. it all depends on a personal case, in my opinion. 

For example, in my case all the taxes since 2011 have been quite straightforward (submitted on time, immediately fully paid whenever necessay, no exemptions, etc.) + I brought all the transcripts and even extra-extra evidence for the interview. 

In the first link, the applicant had an unusual situation with being exempt from paying income taxes with one of the employers, and whatever eveidence they provided for that must have been either insufficient or whatever else. => in this particular case i would have definitely provided a full concrete package of additional tax evidence straight with the application.  

In the second link, the applicant wouldn't have gotten an RFE if they had simply brought those tax returns with them for the interview. 

I still think each applicant should carefully evaluate their own case and then decide what to submit with an application based on their circumstances. In some cases you need to do some extra work in regards to providing additioanl evidence with the application. In other cases, there is no need for that; just be properly prepared for the interview in case they ask you about it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
6 hours ago, FriendlyUser said:

In the second link, the applicant wouldn't have gotten an RFE if they had simply brought those tax returns with them for the interview

I know of a case where the applicant did as you advise, and the ISO RFEd him anyway, saying that USCIS policy says they cannot collect evidence through paper; it must be online.

Makes sense actually: file online, provide evidence online.

Don’t you I find it odd that the some of same people who advocate filing N-400 online, also advocate bringing evidence to interview via paper, when it could have been submitted online?

I sure find it odd and  inconsistent.

Anyway, seems like the majority of contributors want OP to not submit tax return transcripts. You win. I am out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline

@Mike E @Crazy Cat

Based on the tracking number my lawyer gave me she mailed my package to the PO Box in Carol Stream, IL but below is what is shows today. I assume USPS delivers it the next day or the USCIS picks it up?

"CAROL STREAM 
500 FULLERTON AVE 
CAROL STREAM IL 60199-9997 

May 29, 2023, 6:16 am"

"

Your item arrived at the CAROL STREAM, IL 60197 post office at 6:16 am on May 29, 2023 and is ready for pickup. Your item may be picked up at CAROL STREAM, 500 FULLERTON AVE, CAROL STREAM, IL 601999997.

Edited by kvito28

On 5/29/2023 at 8:35 AM, Mike E said:

Don’t you I find it odd that the some of same people who advocate filing N-400 online, also advocate bringing evidence to interview via paper, when it could have been submitted online?

I sure find it odd and  inconsistent.

I guess I looked at it at a different angle: I chose to provide only required evidence with the application because I got an impression that volunteering to submit anything unrequested may prolong the review process of the case.

The online application stated that you may upload additional evidence even if it was not specifically requested, however in this case USCIS will consider the timelines and relevance of unrequested evidence when making a decision on your case. 

I do understand that certain percentage of applicants get RFEs. I do not know how it works and why some people are not asked for any tax docs, while others need to provide them. That’s why I’ve underlined that each applicant should make their own decision in this regards. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 hours ago, FriendlyUser said:

I guess I looked at it at a different angle: I chose to provide only required evidence with the application because I got an impression that volunteering to submit anything unrequested may prolong the review process of the case.

The online application stated that you may upload additional evidence even if it was not specifically requested, however in this case USCIS will consider the timelines and relevance of unrequested evidence when making a decision on your case. 

I do understand that certain percentage of applicants get RFEs. I do not know how it works and why some people are not asked for any tax docs, while others need to provide them. That’s why I’ve underlined that each applicant should make their own decision in this regards. 

I completely agree with you. 

Each person should decide on their own what they want to do. 

There is no completely right or wrong answer. We are here to give advice, period. It's not about my advice is better than yours or vice versa. 

We only provided what was required as a minimum and got through the process just fine. That's our experience. Is it going to be the same for everyone? Nope, so it's up to each individual to take our one little bit of experience along with everyone else's and decide what they want to do. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Alekezam said:

I completely agree with you. 

Each person should decide on their own what they want to do. 

There is no completely right or wrong answer. We are here to give advice, period. It's not about my advice is better than yours or vice versa. 

We only provided what was required as a minimum and got through the process just fine. That's our experience. Is it going to be the same for everyone? Nope, so it's up to each individual to take our one little bit of experience along with everyone else's and decide what they want to do. 

I challenge you to find a single case in which submitting tax returns with the N-400 caused a delay or issue.  @Mike E has already shown examples in which failing to submit tax returns resulted in delays.  That should be enough information for the wise person to know which is better advice. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I challenge you to find a single case in which submitting tax returns with the N-400 caused a delay or issue.  @Mike E has already shown examples in which failing to submit tax returns resulted in delays.  That should be enough information for the wise person to know which is better advice. 

That data may be hard to come by. Most people report problems not success stories. It is kind of like restaurant reviews. I would be very curious to learn about such data if it exists.

Overall, I am pro providing more documents. During my initial adjustment of status I sent 16 lbs docs. The IO told me it was way too much and now he had to go and organize/shred all of it and he was gonna drag it. He straight up told me that I created too much work for him. That is another perspective that not a lot of people think about.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, kvito28 said:

During my initial adjustment of status I sent 16 lbs docs.

Adding a lot of fluff is not a good idea (I am not speaking to your case).  That is simply making the job of the officer more difficult.  I have seen people submit hundreds of pictures for a K-1.  That is simply over-kill.  However, I wouldn't classify tax returns for an N-400 as "fluff".  Thanks.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.