Rosalea

No decision after K1 interview at consulate

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I had my interview at the consulate this morning (in Auckland, NZ), and was feeling quite good about everything. All the other people before me were told “congratulations the visa has been approved and you will receive it in about 10 days” at the end of their interviews.

Mine went well/normal but at the end the lady said they had to fix something on the medical that the medical staff had missed (which was apparently minor), and also:

”we have everything we need”

”we’ll let you know if we need anything else”

And that was it. And I’m just super unsure about the result of the interview cos obviously I wasn’t told that it was approved, or even that it would be approved after they fixed the issue. The kept my passport but didn’t tell me when I’d get it back.

Everyone I’ve told about this said it will probably be fine but I’m definitely getting paranoid and am disheartened that I have no clarity on any of it. Does anyone know what might happen?

1 hour ago, Rosalea said:

I had my interview at the consulate this morning (in Auckland, NZ), and was feeling quite good about everything. All the other people before me were told “congratulations the visa has been approved and you will receive it in about 10 days” at the end of their interviews.

Mine went well/normal but at the end the lady said they had to fix something on the medical that the medical staff had missed (which was apparently minor), and also:

”we have everything we need”

”we’ll let you know if we need anything else”

And that was it. And I’m just super unsure about the result of the interview cos obviously I wasn’t told that it was approved, or even that it would be approved after they fixed the issue. The kept my passport but didn’t tell me when I’d get it back.

Everyone I’ve told about this said it will probably be fine but I’m definitely getting paranoid and am disheartened that I have no clarity on any of it. Does anyone know what might happen?

Sounds to me like the medical form is missing a check-box of some sort.

Way back in 2018, my fiancé had his medical only 3 days before the interview, and they did not have the result and therefore couldn’t approve the visa until received.  It only added a week or so to the process.

I know that post-Covid, operations even at “easy” consulates such as Auckland are not what they once were, but I think you’ll hear from them shortly.

Keep us posted!

You are nervous and probably overthinking. First rule to deal with immigration: each case is unique.

Do not try to compare. Maybe they need some documents that the doctor need to sent. My was like this, and today I’m here in the US.

I know that is hard but try to be patient 

Timeline
1 hour ago, SalishSea said:

Sounds to me like the medical form is missing a check-box of some sort.

Way back in 2018, my fiancé had his medical only 3 days before the interview, and they did not have the result and therefore couldn’t approve the visa until received.  It only added a week or so to the process.

I know that post-Covid, operations even at “easy” consulates such as Auckland are not what they once were, but I think you’ll hear from them shortly.

Keep us posted!

I hope you’re right! 

1 hour ago, PaulaCJohnny said:

You are nervous and probably overthinking. First rule to deal with immigration: each case is unique.

Do not try to compare. Maybe they need some documents that the doctor need to sent. My was like this, and today I’m here in the US.

I know that is hard but try to be patient 

Yeah, it’s definitely super easy to overthink, especially since I’m so emotionally exhausted from all of this. Thank you for your post!

~~ Topic moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports ~~

Remember that verbal approvals during the interview do not count. I don’t know how many times I’ve said that here over the years but it really does not count. What is the true approval is the status changing to “Issued”. There are so many threads that say “Oh the CO said we’re approved at the interview but it’s been X amount of time and the status hasn’t changed”. I really believe that CO’s should stop saying “approved” at the interview because it gives false hope to people, especially that every person goes through admin processing after the interview (background checks, document checks, etc).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
36 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

What is the true approval is the status changing to “Issued”.

Even then that is not enough. Issued visas can get rescinded. When a visa is finally issued, the beneficiary needs to make haste to America.

Edited by Mike E

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hello - 

My beneficiary was issued a visa and then two weeks later it was rescinded with no explanation, only that his paperwork needed to go into Administrative Processing; come next month (June of 2023), our application will be in AP for a full year.

FYI: When the immigration officer notified my beneficiary to return back to the US embassy with his passport; my beneficiary told the officer we were about ready to purchase his flight to the US, the officer informed my beneficiary that had he arrived to the US and if any issues were found later with his visa, immigration would've contacted him and order that he return back to his home country. If he didn't return, he would become illegal with deportation stamped in his file preventing him in completing paperwork for legal status in the US. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, powerpuff said:

~~ Topic moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports ~~

Remember that verbal approvals during the interview do not count. I don’t know how many times I’ve said that here over the years but it really does not count. What is the true approval is the status changing to “Issued”. There are so many threads that say “Oh the CO said we’re approved at the interview but it’s been X amount of time and the status hasn’t changed”. I really believe that CO’s should stop saying “approved” at the interview because it gives false hope to people, especially that every person goes through admin processing after the interview (background checks, document checks, etc).

Yeah that’s what I’m worried will happen with mine! It still says ‘ready’ rn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.