Marrienne

Owing (a small amount of) state tax

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

Hello!!

Quick explanation: this applies to *state* tax only. I do not owe any federal tax.

I was working from home during the lockdown of 2020. My then job issued me a letter that certified I worked from home.

However, when I filled the tax return for 2020 the following year, I was double charged state tax (working in 2 counties so I got charged tax for living in one county and working in another), buy of course, I was working from home so I should only have been charged with ONE county tax.

Anyhow, I tried to fix it but they didn't reduce the amount and insisted I pay both counties' taxes. 

I have paid half of it and working on the other half.

I need to file for naturalization NOW as my sons are turning 18 very very soon and I won't be able to include them in my application. 

I looked it up online but I could only find information on owing federal back taxes. I only owe state tax, which I am planning on paying of course. Before you ask, I cannot afford to pay right now but it is in the budget for the immediate future but not before my sons turn 18.

My question is: will they look at your application immediately upon filing online or do I have a little time?

Can I write them a letter explaining what happened and show I have paid a portion and I am planning on paying the rest soon?

And to answer this potential question: no MI does not allow for an official payment plan but you can go online and pay amounts towards your debt which I have done.

TIA!!!

Click "spoiler" below for a detailed account of our journey to a CR1 visa via DCF in Athens, Greece.

2011 - Met hubby online and became friends
Early 2013 - Confessed our love for each other * Late 2013 - I got pregnant with our daughter
2014 - Our baby was born in Athens, Greece and completed our family. We now have two boys and a girl!! 2013 - 2015 - Looking for jobs in Greece, none were available (due to socioeconomic crisis) 2015 - Decided only way to feed our family was to immigrate and started the process December 2015 - Got married (Greece has a LOT of red tape for foreigners marrying Greeks)
January 2016 - Finished gathering all documents and getting them translated
* * DCF in Athens, Greece * *

28th January 2016 - Finally filed I-130s
29th June - ISSUED!!!!!!1st July - Visa packages and passports delivered to DHL.4th July - Visas in hand! CU in two weeks USA!!
19th July- POE Detroit. All went well!! (excluding our screaming, jet lagged toddler!!)

After Arrival in the US

September 2016 - Hubby is diagnosed with congestive heart failure
October - February 2016 - Battle with drug use, overdosing, bringing home a tiny paycheck

March - July 2017 - I am working 80 hr weeks to make ends meet. Discovered hubby's affair. Still overdoses and is hospitalized. Has quit working all together.
July - October 2017 - Marriage counseling. Revealed hubby has "several" mental conditions. Is started on several mental meds.

October 2017 - Got accepted for a college course. Got better job to help raise my kids.

October 2017 - March 2018 - Situation at home is toxic. He files for divorce.

July 2018 - Divorce is final. I have full custody of our daughter.

ROC (GC expires July 19th 2018)

July 16th - Package for ROC is delivered to the CA service center (divorce waiver).

August 30th - NOA1 received with 18 month extension (fee waiver approved).

March 28th 2019 - Biometrics

August 8th 2019 - Case Approved No RFE No Interview - 10 year GC in production

N400 (Online - Detroit, MI office)
June 6th 2023 - Applied for naturalization under 5 year rule.
June 7th 2023 - Application received/Biometric will be reused.
June 16th - Interview scheduled.
July 27th - Upcoming interview.

**Our DCF journey to an IV took 5 months and 1 day from turning in the I-130 to getting "Issued"**

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

File now since the clock is ticking.

Figure it out later

Edited by Mike E

*** Moved from Tax & Finances forum to US Citizenship General Discussion -- topic is about owing taxes as it relates to N-400 processing ***

1 hour ago, Marrienne said:

I need to file for naturalization NOW as my sons are turning 18 very very soon and I won't be able to include them in my application. 

Even when your sons turn 18, you need to list them in your N-400 application form.  If you mean the automatic acquisition of citizenship, how soon is "very very soon"?  To be able to qualify, your sons must be below 18 years old at the time you take your US oath.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Chancy said:

*** Moved from Tax & Finances forum to US Citizenship General Discussion -- topic is about owing taxes as it relates to N-400 processing ***

Even when your sons turn 18, you need to list them in your N-400 application form.  If you mean the automatic acquisition of citizenship, how soon is "very very soon"?  To be able to qualify, your sons must be below 18 years old at the time you take your US oath.

So if they are under 18 when you file (of course I am going to list them) but they take 2 years to process your application and they turn 18 in the meantime, they must submit a new application and pay individually?

Click "spoiler" below for a detailed account of our journey to a CR1 visa via DCF in Athens, Greece.

Early 2013 - Confessed our love for each other * Late 2013 - I got pregnant with our daughter
2014 - Our baby was born in Athens, Greece and completed our family. We now have two boys and a girl!! 2013 - 2015 - Looking for jobs in Greece, none were available (due to socioeconomic crisis) 2015 - Decided only way to feed our family was to immigrate and started the process December 2015 - Got married (Greece has a LOT of red tape for foreigners marrying Greeks)

29th June - ISSUED!!!!!!1st July - Visa packages and passports delivered to DHL.4th July - Visas in hand! CU in two weeks USA!!
19th July- POE Detroit. All went well!! (excluding our screaming, jet lagged toddler!!)

After Arrival in the US

October - February 2016 - Battle with drug use, overdosing, bringing home a tiny paycheck

March - July 2017 - I am working 80 hr weeks to make ends meet. Discovered hubby's affair. Still overdoses and is hospitalized. Has quit working all together.
July - October 2017 - Marriage counseling. Revealed hubby has "several" mental conditions. Is started on several mental meds.

October 2017 - Got accepted for a college course. Got better job to help raise my kids.

July 16th - Package for ROC is delivered to the CA service center (divorce waiver).

**Our DCF journey to an IV took 5 months and 1 day from turning in the I-130 to getting "Issued"**

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Yes I know it is a "small " amount but I make very little money and I barely make ends meet. Even $100 could be the difference between paying rent or not. So I can't afford the $1000 all at once right now. I must make small payments every other month. 

After Arrival in the US

event.png

event.png

4 minutes ago, Marrienne said:

they take 2 years to process your application and they turn 18 in the meantime, they must submit a new application and pay individually?

Yes -- your sons must apply and pay for N-400 individually if they turn 18 before you take your US oath.  Your naturalization certificate will list the date of your US oath ceremony, not your N-400 filing date.

Anyone that could lend you the money? Any job that you, or them, could take this summer? A small extra effort now might be worth it, if you all get citizenship at once?

Edited by Lemonslice

Could your sons work extra jobs to help pay off the tax? They've got a vested interest in making sure your naturalization process goes smoothly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
15 hours ago, Marrienne said:

they take 2 years to process your application

N-400 cases are taking less than a year right now in most locations.  Detroit USCIS field office is showing 10.5 months.

• 3 months later...
Timeline

UPDATE: Provided proof of making payment arrangements with the State, and the officer signed off on it. By the time I had my interview, I owed less than $200. Got approved and have my Oath ceremony tomorrow!!

After Arrival in the US

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Marrienne said:

have my Oath ceremony tomorrow!!

Congrats.

Will your kids still be under 18?

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

Congrats.

Will your kids still be under 18?

Yes!!! :)

It only took 2.5 months from application to Oath ceremony (I applied 6/6, interview was 7/17, Oath is tomorrow 9/13)

After Arrival in the US

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.