dundeehighlander

SSN problem and query

19 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a problem regarding my social security number.  Before I got married in 2019, I applied for a SSN and got it within a few weeks.  For various reasons and covid making things take longer, I didn't get my permanent resident card into about two months ago.  I live up in the mountains of San Bernardino where seven feet of snow caused a state of emergency and major damage to beams in the roof of our house.  Although we do have home insurance, it looks highly likely that will deny any claim, thus we decided to apply to FEMA, they are camped up here until June.  The problem that I have is that FEMA could not process the application because my SSN was flagged up.  I went down to social security today to update my SSN to remove the restrictions, ie employment only card, but social security say that they could update within one day if USCIS/ Homeland Security had updated my account when I got my green card but unfortunately they haven't done it and my SSN is showing employment only.  I should point out the house is still in my name only as I bought it in 2012 before we were married.

Does anyone have any ideas?  If I can call USCIS, will they be able to deal with it?

Any advice/ information welcome.

Thanks

Keith

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

So you have a GC?

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The onus is on you to update it and remove restrictions, not USCIS. 

So, you need to take your GC and Old SSN back to SSO and have them update and issue you a new SS card.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

That's what I did today but social security said that they can't update because my status on USCIS is still authorized for work only.  The assistant said that they have to change my status on their system before they can update.  She said that if it didn't change that they will try again to update on ss system in four weeks.

52 minutes ago, dundeehighlander said:

That's what I did today but social security said that they can't update because my status on USCIS is still authorized for work only.  The assistant said that they have to change my status on their system before they can update.  She said that if it didn't change that they will try again to update on ss system in four weeks.

It looks like you spoke to somebody incompetent (not unusual for SSA). GC itself is a document proving you don't need a work authorization, e.g. you're allowed to work and have restrictions from social security cars removed.

Either try again, speak to their manager or visit a different SSA location.

Edited by OldUser

Hi there, thanks for your reply.  I think the point that the assistant at the social security office was making was that, although, as you say, having a green card implies that I must be able to have any restrictions removed, they use Homeland Security to verify my information and as Homeland security have not updated my SSN status, then they can't verify my right to having restrictions removed.

I think that's what she meant anyway.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, dundeehighlander said:

Hi there, thanks for your reply.  I think the point that the assistant at the social security office was making was that, although, as you say, having a green card implies that I must be able to have any restrictions removed, they use Homeland Security to verify my information and as Homeland security have not updated my SSN status, then they can't verify my right to having restrictions removed.

HHS doesnt update SS status. Go back and try again.. ask for the supervisor if you get pushback again 

I completed the SS-5 on my visit today but, as I mentioned earlier, she said that they won't be able to verify my status with USCIS/Homeland Security because my SSN hasn't been updated on their system.  That's what she told me anyway and that I wouldn't be able to get my updated SSN until they could verify with them.  They would try again in four weeks apparently.  But I will ask there again and see if they can explain it better.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

SSA does check the SAVE system to verify status. It did not show the correct code for some time and I had to wait about a month. It might be worthwhile to check if a case was created in the SAVE system: https://www.uscis.gov/save/save-casecheck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
11 hours ago, dundeehighlander said:

There is no such thing as "Homeland security updating SSN status". You need to go to a SSA office that knows what they are doing, as the person you talked to lied to you or simply didn't know any better. I myself had to go to two different offices here in Los Angeles before I could apply for my SSN. The first person at the first office also told lies. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

*** Moved from ROC General Discussion to SSN sub-forum, and removed duplicate thread in a different sub-forum.  Please do not create multiple threads on the same topic.  If you mistakenly post on the wrong forum, click "Report post" to request your thread to be moved.  FYI ***

I heard similar language when updating my SSN to remove work authorization language - they had to check if USCIS had updated me as LPR but was lucky that whatever check they did was successful. The semantics don't matter, for some reason 2 months later the system hasn't been updated on their side for OP.

Just going again and trying to get someone to understand that you've been an LPR for a while and they should be able to give you a new SSN would be my advice.

event.png

Current processes:

I-751 regular ROC (SRC)                                       N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 17 2023 - Received                                       Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 23, 2023 - NOA + 36 months extension     Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Apr 12, 2023 - 48 months extension letter        Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400!!!!

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

Sep 14, 2022 - Case is Being Reviewed

Feb 6, 2023 - Card is being produced !!!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2023 - Out for delivery/Return to sender 😠

Mar 6, 2023 - Re-mail request

Mar 9, 2023 - GC delivered!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.