ymir

Have to legal birth certificate from two different countries

32 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, ymir said:

Yes it is false misrepresentation and although I was a baby I take full responsibility for going along with it because when I found out that my parent file for me with wrong documents I was already 20 years old and reluctant but I was so desperate to come to the US I cave in. I now regret because I don’t like the country of birth thats on my US documents I wish I could correct it because no matter  how much I ignore it, it bothers me 

Well, the main issue is not you being bothered, but that affecting your presence in the US -misrepresentation makes you ineligible to immigrate-.

The only way to overcome misrepresentation is informing before they find out. You didn't when you applied for the visa -and you know you should have-.

As you are already an LPR, maybe you can correct the "mistake" when you file for citizenship. Not sure if there will be nefarious consequences.

12 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Well, the main issue is not you being bothered, but that affecting your presence in the US -misrepresentation makes you ineligible to immigrate-.

The only way to overcome misrepresentation is informing before they find out. You didn't when you applied for the visa -and you know you should have-.

As you are already an LPR, maybe you can correct the "mistake" when you file for citizenship. Not sure if there will be nefarious consequences.

Yes your right I was a coward and scared and in a way I was afraid that my chances of coming here would be ruin. It stresses me out that the worst case scenario is deportation for false misrepresentation and if I just leave it like is I will always be regretful for not doing the right thing.

Edited by ymir

1 minute ago, ymir said:

Yes your right I was a coward and scared and in a way I was afraid that my chances of coming here would be ruin. It stresses me out that the worst case scenario is deportation for false misrepresentation and if I just leave it like is would be regretful for not doing the right thing.

It shouldn't if you correct the mistake on the next step. But unfortunately there is no guarantee.

1 hour ago, ymir said:

I was deported from the country I was born along with my parents when I was a baby because of strict immigration laws. years later one of my parents entered the US and later become a US citizen. My parent who was in the US filed for me with the birth certificate from their country before I obtain my citizenship from the country I was born in.I later return to my country of birth later and fast forward I was able to obtain my citizenship when I became an adult. With the filing process already in motion I went along with the process of coming the US. Now that I receive status here in US. I wish my parent had file using my original country of birth documents.because I hate the document because it says that I was born somewhere that I was. I wish I had a say in the matter and I know why my parent did it but I just do not like it. is there any way I can change my place of birth by using my original birth certificate?

That makes no sense.  A person can hold citizenship of two or more countries, but you can only be born in one.  If you have a document saying you were born somewhere you weren't, it is false.  Full stop.  

2 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

That makes no sense.  A person can hold citizenship of two or more countries, but you can only be born in one.  If you have a document saying you were born somewhere you weren't, it is false.  Full stop.  

Yes your correct. my case is probably one of a kind. My parents did a birth certificate for me from the country of their origin when I got deported along with them

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Just name the countries for us to make it easier to understand. My brain hurts. Long day. None of us knows who you are anyway

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

2 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

As I have written before, without knowing the countries and situation, it might, or might not, be "false".  

This is a well-documented problem in many regions of the world (one example, here - point 25, on page 30 - https://www.refworld.org/docid/583ed81c4.html).  Embassies abroad are aware of these situations, and how to verify the legitimacy of documents.  A document that might sound "false" in a developed country, might be the only document available legally in another one.   Too many missing details to know in OP's situation. 

1 minute ago, Lemonslice said:

As I have written before, without knowing the countries and situation, it might, or might not, be "false".  

This is a well-documented problem in many regions of the world (one example, here - point 25, on page 30 - https://www.refworld.org/docid/583ed81c4.html).  Embassies abroad are aware of these situations, and how to verify the legitimacy of documents.  A document that might sound "false" in a developed country, might be the only document available legally in another one.   Too many missing details to know in OP's situation. 

I don't think the legitimacy of the birth certificate is the issue, but not correcting the information timely - when filling up the DS-260, for example-.

At the moment, USCIS has no way to find out there is misrepresentation - the visa was issued, OP entered the US already and I assume already received the GC-.

2 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

I don't think the legitimacy of the birth certificate is the issue, but not correcting the information timely - when filling up the DS-260, for example-.

At the moment, USCIS has no way to find out there is misrepresentation - the visa was issued, OP entered the US already and I assume already received the GC-.

Yes Its Haiti and Dominican Republic

3 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

yes I already receive GC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
6 minutes ago, ymir said:

Yes Its Haiti and Dominican Republic

So I guess you were deported from DR back to Haiti?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Your case is definitely not a DIY one. I don’t think you can just go there and ask for it and they will update. IMO you should definitely find a really good lawyer that handles misrepresentation cases.

Good luck 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.