M&Y_2019

What went wrong with Global Entry?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
39 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Interesting, is dedicated line for updates a new thing? Which city?

Blaine, WA.

They have Canadian officers there as well for NEXUS interviews and sometimes they can update the Canadian systems for you on the spot, other times I've had to email scanned documents to CBSA. That step does not apply to Global Entry though.

Timeline
31 minutes ago, mam521 said:

You CAN update your NEXUS by sending an inquiry through CBP with scans of your letters/ID.  The lovely lady at the Blaine, WA Enrollment Center told me this and it was confirmed in an email I received after submitting a CBP inquiry when we updated Kid1's passport.  We'd updated the GOES profile, but a human apparently has to verify the information, scanned or not.  

I used to get flagged all of the time when I was on L1 visa with "see officer".  I was told that it was because they had to verify the validity of my employment visa.  As stated above, you're still skipping the line and saving valuable time, especially when multiple international flights arrive and there's very few CBP lanes open.  

FYI: 

https://help.cbp.gov/s/questions?language=en_US

Interesting, I didn't know thas was an option for the US side updates. I'm just 20 minutes from Blaine myself so it's just as easy to drive over, but that's a great option for those living far from an enrollment center.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Working and Traveling from, ROC - as the topic is traveling~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, OldUser said:

Interesting, is dedicated line for updates a new thing? Which city?

Either a  dedicated line if the GE office is big enough  .. or walk in with no appointment and seen as soon as the officer is available .. jumps you to the front of the queue.. at smaller offices   DFW handled at their check in desk so i didnt need to wait for an “interviewing” officer

Edited by Lil bear

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
52 minutes ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

Interesting, I didn't know thas was an option for the US side updates. I'm just 20 minutes from Blaine myself so it's just as easy to drive over, but that's a great option for those living far from an enrollment center.

IT's a strange relationship.  It's all managed through the GOES portal now, so I don't understand why it's so difficult.  

When we came through Blaine, the Canadian Enrollment Centers were still closed.  We actually went out of our way to stop there to get the profiles updated and the greencards added.  

Does anyone know if I can stop at the GE place at IAH (despite having NEXUS) and have them verify my US passport? I naturalized last week and will be getting my US passport next week before a business trip to Malaysia.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
29 minutes ago, mam521 said:

IT's a strange relationship.  It's all managed through the GOES portal now, so I don't understand why it's so difficult.  

When we came through Blaine, the Canadian Enrollment Centers were still closed.  We actually went out of our way to stop there to get the profiles updated and the greencards added.  

Does anyone know if I can stop at the GE place at IAH (despite having NEXUS) and have them verify my US passport? I naturalized last week and will be getting my US passport next week before a business trip to Malaysia.  

I don't know about IAH specifically, but when I naturalized a few months ago I showed documents at Blaine, but had to handle the Canadian side by email. In any case they will most likely want to see your naturalization certificate (original) in addition to the passport, so I suggest bringing it. As soon as the naturalization cert/passport shows up in your TTP profile you can request a new card on the site with "Citizenship change" as reason.

4 hours ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

Blaine, WA.

They have Canadian officers there as well for NEXUS interviews and sometimes they can update the Canadian systems for you on the spot, other times I've had to email scanned documents to CBSA. That step does not apply to Global Entry though.

Random:  I once found out the hard way (when GE was fairly new) at Blaine that having it does not mean you can go through the Nexxus lane 😅.   So I got a trip to Canada’s secondary.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Random:  I once found out the hard way (when GE was fairly new) at Blaine that having it does not mean you can go through the Nexxus lane 😅.   So I got a trip to Canada’s secondary.

Interestingly you can actually use Global Entry in NEXUS lanes going into the US from Canada, but not the other way around... :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Timeline
On 8/15/2023 at 8:30 AM, L and J C said:

Has anyone had any success applying to GE while I-751 is pending? It looks like it’s been a 50-50 chance for folks in the past (but this is based on super old threads). People seem to have tried by bumping out the expiry date on their green card (to whatever extension letter says it is). 

Not I. I'm currently on an expired GC but with a valid 48 mo extension NOA. Took an upon arrival interview for the GE and the officer insisted that since the GC was expired they couldn't approve GE, they also said the lack of a valid GC would mean the kiosks wouldn't be usable. Note: my GE application is still conditionally approved, so it looks like I could retry another time or wait for the 10yr GC.

I, too, would like to know if there's a workaround the interviewer can do to approve the app while on the NOA extension.

Edited by A Polite Parrot

1 hour ago, A Polite Parrot said:

Not I. I'm currently on an expired GC but with a valid 48 mo extension NOA. Took an upon arrival interview for the GE and the officer insisted that since the GC was expired they couldn't approve GE, they also said the lack of a valid GC would mean the kiosks wouldn't be usable. Note: my GE application is still conditionally approved, so it looks like I could retry another time or wait for the 10yr GC.

I, too, would like to know if there's a workaround the interviewer can do to approve the app while on the NOA extension.

That sucks! Yes, the kiosks is hit or miss with expired GC and I-751. Where kiosk operated in facial recognition mode - I was fine. Where it asked for a document - I had to see an agent.

Now I got 10 year GC, and updated expiration on GE portal, not sure if this us sufficient or have to see somebody at enrollment center.

I did not try updating expiration date based on extension letter before, maybe it was OK or maybe it wasn't.

The enrollment center avoids I-751 extension like the plague, I tried twice updating info in their system. Seems like the same is with new enrollment, though at least I could use GE lane with kiosks not working...

Edited by OldUser

Timeline

On 10/4/2023 at 11:32 PM, OldUser said:

That sucks! Yes, the kiosks is hit or miss with expired GC and I-751. Where kiosk operated in facial recognition mode - I was fine. Where it asked for a document - I had to see an agent.

Now I got 10 year GC, and updated expiration on GE portal, not sure if this us sufficient or have to see somebody at enrollment center.

I did not try updating expiration date based on extension letter before, maybe it was OK or maybe it wasn't.

The enrollment center avoids I-751 extension like the plague, I tried twice updating info in their system. Seems like the same is with new enrollment, though at least I could use GE lane with kiosks not working...

From what I read, you should be able to make updates when receiving the 10yr card (online or in person, I am not sure -- I am still stuck with the GE conditional approval). In your experience, that's not the case?

Regardless, I don't understand what the trouble is with letting I-751's be part of the process. It's a stop-gap measure that has become permanent due to the bottleneck of GC filing over a decade. The paper states it acts as the new expiration. If agents are told to refuse approval only because the issue is the technical limitations of the kiosks, then what's the problem with a human reading a paper and scanning your documents like they do with GE holders anyway? When my partner uses Mobile Entry and there's only one agent for both Mobile and GE, they tell me they have to wait for all the GE holders to pass in front to see the agent.🤦‍♀️

From what I read, you should be able to make updates when receiving the 10yr card (online or in person, I am not sure

I updated expiration online but haven't traveled since so don't know if that went OK.

In your experience, that's not the case?

I got GE before I became a LPR.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 4/30/2023 at 6:13 PM, Loren Y said:

With everyone getting global entry, even though I have it I find I don't use it as much as the app based mobile passport. You enter all you information in the app, and answer all the questions on you phone, and then it gives you a QR code to scan at the 1 line for mobile passport ( That is usually empty in my experience). I walk up and scan the QR code, and roll thru, actually a lot faster than global entry in my experience. I recommend the mobile passport app for now, until everyone starts using that.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

In my experience, at Port of Seattle airport, Mobile Passport is approximately the same speed as using the kiosk, and same speed as filling out an entry slip. Can't hurt, though

• 3 months later...
Timeline
On 8/15/2023 at 8:30 AM, L and J C said:

Has anyone had any success applying to GE while I-751 is pending? It looks like it’s been a 50-50 chance for folks in the past (but this is based on super old threads). People seem to have tried by bumping out the expiry date on their green card (to whatever extension letter says it is). 

On 10/4/2023 at 11:32 PM, OldUser said:

An update about applying for Global Entry while on a Green Card with the extension:

I tried the GE interview upon arrival again (the app still was active since my last try). I had a different officer, and they didn't make as much fuss about the GC and paper extension. I was granted approval and got to use the TSA precheck without issue since then. I'll play with the advice for returning to the US with Global Entry in the future. The approval appears to really be about how much you push the officer and some luck with how much they know that it's OK for them to approve you.

Also, when I applied for GE, entering the GC extension expiry date didn't cause any issue, as far as I could tell. In fact, the application won't allow an expired GC so it's either the new expiry date or don't bother applying.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.