Molle

Are affidavits for I-751 necessary?

18 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, and thank you for a fantastic and informative forum.

I'm almost done assembling my I-751 package, I can send it in in late May at the earliest.

I have tried to follow @Rocio0010 excellent table of contents 🙏. It's been most helpful

I'm wondering if affidavits from friends or family members are necessary to include?

/Kind regards Molle

1 minute ago, OldUser said:

No, if you have other strong evidence, they are unnecessary. Most of the evidence is not absolutely necessary but collectively it adds up.

What else do you have as evidence?

Ok 👍 

I have joint bank accounts, brokerage accounts, credit cards, joint tax returns, we are each other's beneficiaries on retirement accounts and insurance policies, we have utility bills in our separate names, for for our joint residence, car deed, health insurance, advance health care directivies naming each other as the person that can make decisions if the other is incapable, marriage certificate, photos from trips, and events with friends and family, I'm my husband's emergency contact for his employer.

Snapshots of conversations with our family, both here in the US, and in my home country.

And probably a few more documents...

5 minutes ago, OldUser said:

The only thing I'm not clear about: do you have a copy of your lease with both names on it or mortgage / house title with both names?

Other than that you're solid.

My husband already lived in our current residence when I moved in, so he's the only person on the lease.:(

The closest I have are forms signed by our landlord giving us access to our HOAs gym and pool.

it has both our names and address and our landlord's contact info 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Molle said:

My husband already lived in our current residence when I moved in, so he's the only person on the lease.:(

The closest I have are forms signed by our landlord giving us access to our HOAs gym and pool.

I would include that with a ote that the lease was already in your husband's name.

57 minutes ago, Molle said:

Include that. Usually spouses can be added to lease. I added my wife to my existing lease when she moved in. This may or may not be an issue. After all, this is strong evidence of you living at same address in addition to ID/DL with same address.

What would building manager / landlord say if USCIS came over to ask who lives at the property? Would the person answering be only aware of your spouse living at the property or would they name both of you?

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

FWIW my wife’s lawyer ordered us to get statements and so we did. Filed October 2021, approved October 2022. Interview waived. We did not have to file N-400 to force I-751 to be adjudicated.

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

FWIW my wife’s lawyer ordered us to get statements and so we did.

My lawyer also told me to get affidavits, despite all other good evidence. We included copies of IDs for those who signed them. They also probably could have been notarized instead.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
16 hours ago, Molle said:

You didn't update the tenants when you renewed the lease?

Or is it a multi-year lease?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, OldUser said:

My lawyer also told me to get affidavits, despite all other good evidence. We included copies of IDs for those who signed them. They also probably could have been notarized instead.

We did not get them notarized and did not ask for IDs

11 minutes ago, Molle said:

It was a year first, now it's month to month 

I was month to month when added wife to the lease. Still am. 

16 hours ago, OldUser said:

What would building manager / landlord say if USCIS came over to ask who lives at the property? Would the person answering be only aware of your spouse living at the property or would they name both of you?

^^ the chance of this happening is relatively small. But if this happens and answer from landlord / receptionist / manager is that only you spouse lives there, you may be in trouble.

Also, how would you prove to IO you live at same address? Bills is one thing. Do you at least have IDs / DLs with matching address?

Edited by OldUser

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.