Verrou

Unrestricted SSN card at SSA office after GC in hand

56 posts in this topic

i received my GC : 4/8/23.

on the card it said resident since 3/31/23.

my lawyer didnt apply for SSN because i already had SSN from my asylum case 5 years ago. so the box on -485 was marked NO

went to SSA office today on 4/10/23 ( i did online apppointment the day before) to get unrestricted SSN card. before i went to the office i do research and it seems i can just go the moment i got the GC without waiting few days or weeks. also i know there's 2 people whose GC got approved on the same day, already got their unrestricted SSN card by mail a week ago.

Bring tons of document but what he wanted to see :

Driving license

Foreign passport

Green card

the officer cant update my status. he asked to his colleague " when i input her hometown, it wont let me go through " and his colleague said " probably because her GC date is so recent like 10 days ago ". the officer talked to me and he said sometimes it took a while for USCIS to update the system.

he can see my record on the computer, print it out and give it to me to check if any information correct. he then give me a letter with reference number that confirm i did come to the office today and it stated on the letter probably took 4 weeks for me to get the new card because they need to verify with other agency. i asked him if i need to go back, he said no.

i'm on a fence to go to DMV tomorrow to update my driving license just in case i have similar issue. i already check on their website and to call my DMV that i dont need to bring my SS card as long as i have the number.

does anyone have similar issue? and how long does it take for u to receive unrestricted SSN card after the issue got resolved

5 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

Sigh… what should I do next ? Wait 4 weeks and if nothing arrived go there again? 

Speak to other employee at SSA, their manager. Go to other SSA office.

Essentially, GC is a proof of your status. 

Complete SS-5 form and bring with all the proof.

1 minute ago, Family said:

Move on to new battlefield: DMV . Leave SS alone, they will update and send your card soon.

it seems i have to find another opponent or target after done with the court and USCIS huh 😅 

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

Foreign passport

That is not correct procedure.

I am not surprised they could not verify your status. I would have waited 10 working days.

i would wait 10 working days before going to DMV

Edited by Mike E

Just now, OldUser said:

Speak to other employee at SSA, their manager. Go to other SSA office.

Essentially, GC is a proof of your status. 

Complete SS-5 form and bring with all the proof.

zzzz.....this SSA office is 2 mnts from my office. i literally crawl this morning to go there LOL

SS-5 already submitted online, he doesnt even want to take the paper one hah !

3 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

zzzz.....this SSA office is 2 mnts from my office. i literally crawl this morning to go there LOL

SS-5 already submitted online, he doesnt even want to take the paper one hah !

Exactly why you didn't have success. To get the SS card you need to wake up at 5 am, drive for 3 hrs, stand in line for 2 hrs, demand to see manager etc. I think SSA employees thought you had it way too easy 😃

Jokes aside, definitely try getting DMV out of the way. And retry SSA if nothing comes your way in few weeks.

3 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Exactly why you didn't have success. To get the SS card you need to wake up at 5 am, drive for 3 hrs, stand in line for 2 hrs, demand to see manager etc. I think SSA employees thought you had it way too easy 😃

Jokes aside, definitely try getting DMV out of the way. And retry SSA if nothing comes your way in few weeks.

funny haha ! i will wait about 2 weeks from now to go to DMV as @Mike E said. dont want to waste my car's battery LOL

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Had the same issue with my SSN application. It took about a month for them to verify information from DHS through the SAVE system. You could check on the SAVE case check system to see if a case was created here: https://save.uscis.gov/save/app/client/ui/case-check.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.