Canerican

Going back to Canada

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good morning Visajourney family,

I have a question that is not visa related but has to do with going back to Canada. 

I am intending on going back to Canada to be closer to my children but am also going to be coming to Florida multiple times each year. 

Is there any way that I can keep all of my insurance, etc in Florida instead of Canada?

To clarify, I am a dual Canada/USA citizen.

Thank you for your help. 

Edited by Canerican

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Canerican said:

Is there any way that I can keep all of my insurance, etc in Florida instead of Canada?

What kind of insurance?

What else besides insurance? 

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

What kind of insurance?

What else besides insurance? 

Car insurance, plates, etc. everything. Would prefer to not change everything over. 

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Canerican said:

Car insurance, plates, etc. everything. Would prefer to not change everything over. 

If you leave the car in Florida fine.

If you will be operating it more in a province of Canada than anywhere else, it will need insurance and plates for that province.

What is the “etc”?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

If you leave the car in Florida fine.

If you will be operating it more in a province of Canada than anywhere else, it will need insurance and plates for that province.

What is the “etc”?

Thank you. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Canerican said:

25 minutes ago, Canerican said:

Good morning Visajourney family,

I have a question that is not visa related but has to do with going back to Canada. 

I am intending on going back to Canada to be closer to my children but am also going to be coming to Florida multiple times each year. 

To clarify, I am a dual Canada/USA citizen.

Thank you for your help. 

Not instead of ..  you are not a visitor of either country …but if you are keeping a FL address as your  US residence … even a family members address .. you can keep licensing  insurance plates (swap plates on arrival in FL) current and active at the same time as having all the Canadian equivalents 

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Not instead of ..  you are not a visitor of either country …but if you are keeping a FL add

So this would all depend on how long I am in FL and whether or not I have a Florida address?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

Not instead of ..  you are not a visitor of either country …but if you are keeping a FL address as your  US residence … even a family members address .. you can keep licensing  insurance plates (swap plates on arrival in FL) current and active at the same time as having all the Canadian equivalents 

Questions for clarification:

So, for Canada, I would have an Ontario license plate that would be registered and have a Ontario drivers license?

Then for the US I would have a Florida license plate that would be registered and retain my Florida license?

Is this legal?

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Canerican said:

Questions for clarification:

So, for Canada, I would have an Ontario license plate that would be registered and have a Ontario drivers license?

Then for the US I would have a Florida license plate that would be registered and retain my Florida license?

Is this legal?

Generally,  a non commercial vehicle gets one license plate from the jurisdiction where the car spends most of its time.

Generally a driver gets one drivers license from the jurisdiction where the driver spends the most time.

I’ve lived in Florida and visited there countless times. Not once did I see a motor vehicle with two license plates except for a commercial truck. The same is true of any other state or province I’ve lived in or visited.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Generally,  a non commercial vehicle gets one license plate from the jurisdiction where the car spends most of its time.

Generally a driver gets one drivers license from the jurisdiction where the driver spends the most time.

I’ve lived in Florida and visited there countless times. Not once did I see a motor vehicle with two license plates except for a commercial truck. The same is true of any other state or province I’ve lived in or visited.

Respectfully, I was asking if it is legal to have license plates from two different countries. 

The reason I am asking is because I am finding conflicting information and cannot find anything official. I will call one of the agencies to get a firm answer.  

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Canerican said:

Respectfully, I was asking if it is legal to have license plates from two different countries

In Canada and the U.S., the federal government does not have authority over license plates issued by provinces and states. The federal governments do regulate vehicle importation though.

Out of 50 states and 10 provinces I am sure you will find some that allow it. You might even find some that require it. 

The discussion has evolved from can one avoid getting new license plates to can one have license plates from two states/provinces on the same vehicle. 

You will find out for sure when you go to provincial DMV to get provincial plates and the Florida DMV to renew. The Florida DMV might be notified that vehicle was imported into Canada, which might void vehicle title. 

Timeline
50 minutes ago, Mike E said:

In Canada and the U.S., the federal government does not have authority over license plates issued by provinces and states. The federal governments do regulate vehicle importation though.

Out of 50 states and 10 provinces I am sure you will find some that allow it. You might even find some that require it. 

The discussion has evolved from can one avoid getting new license plates to can one have license plates from two states/provinces on the same vehicle. 

You will find out for sure when you go to provincial DMV to get provincial plates and the Florida DMV to renew. The Florida DMV might be notified that vehicle was imported into Canada, which might void vehicle title. 

Thank you for your information. 

As I stated in my last post, I will call the provincial government to discuss. Things can change and that is okay. Again, thank you for your input. 

Not sure how you would get plates on a car in the US if the car has a Canada title?  Not sure how canada works but lets say random US state (kentucky) isn't going to give you license plates if the car shows a title in another state, let alone another country.

Timeline

If you are returning to Canada as a primary residence, CBSA is going to make you import the vehicle, pay taxes on it and register it with RIV. Once in Ontario, you’re going to have to go through the process to get it registered and insured. You will also have to get an Ontario DL. 

If you want to return to Florida as a primary resident, you will have to reimport the vehicle to the US and go through the whole process. You will have however many days to get it registered in FL and get your license switched. 

If you are returning to Canada as a primary residence and visiting the US more in a fashion like a snowbird would, I would look at that information. I suspect you can follow the drive it in the US for up to a year before needing to import it. With that in mind, you’ll have to check with your insurance issuer for how long they will cover your vehicle in the US. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
9 hours ago, Lil bear said:

@jskibo Above is what I was responding to regarding clarification questions. 

@Lil bear what did you mean when you made the above comment? Did I misinterpret your comment? Please see clarification questions. 

3 hours ago, jskibo said:

Not sure how you would get plates on a car in the US if the car has a Canada title?  Not sure how canada works but lets say random US state (kentucky) isn't going to give you license plates if the car shows a title in another state, let alone another country.

My vehicle is a Florida title with Florida plates currently. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.