panetone

Differnce in N400 Processing based on "at least 5 yr GC" or "Married to US citizen"

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

Is there a different speed in processing N400 based on choice?

1.) I am at least 18 years of age and have been a lawful permanent resident of the United States for at least 5 years.

2.) I am at least 18 years of age and have been a lawful permanent resident of the United States for at least 3 years. In addition, I have been married to and living with a U.S. citizen spouse for the last 3 years, and my spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years at the time I filed my Form N-400.

I can select either. Just wondering if one is faster than the other.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

My experience says File online under the 5 year rule.  It is a piece of cake.....That is all.

In wife's case filing to oath ceremony was less than 6 months.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

My experience says File online under the 5 year rule.  It is a piece of cake.....That is all.

In wife's case filing to oath ceremony was less than 6 months.

Agreed. I applied on December 27 last year and just had my oath ceremony today. Super easy under the 5-year rule.

May 25, 2004: Got married in Denmark
June 8, 2004: Received passport with new last name
June 11, 2004: Went to the U.S. embassy in Denmark to file the I-130 and DS-230 - approved on the spot
June 18, 2004: Received letter of appointment plus packet 4
August 5, 2004: Interview at U.S. embassy - APPROVED!!!
August 19, 2004: Went back to the U.S. with my husband
May 27, 2006: Filed I-751
July 25, 2006: I-751 approved!

March 13, 2016: Filed I-90 for Permanent Resident Card renewal

March 22, 2016: Received letter of appointment for biometrics appointment

April 8, 2016: Biometrics appointment

September 21, 2016: I-90 approved

December 27, 2022: Filed N400 for US citizenship

December 27, 2022: Biometrics reused

February 2, 2023: Interview notice received

March 10, 2023: N400 approved 

March 10, 2023: Oath ceremony notice provided right after interview 

March 24: Oath ceremony 

Timeline
15 hours ago, AHC_2015 said:

Agreed. I applied on December 27 last year and just had my oath ceremony today. Super easy under the 5-year rule.

3 months!  Wow!!!   Congratulations......wife just got her passport, and we just booked her a trip to Taiwan!!!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

What about a 5 year rule to apply for USC that is not marriage based? Would you say that is also a easier case to get approved?

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

What about a 5 year rule to apply for USC that is not marriage based? Would you say that is also a easier case to get approved?

I'm not saying approval is easier.  But, Applying is easier due to less documentation needed. 

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

3 months!  Wow!!!   Congratulations......wife just got her passport, and we just booked her a trip to Taiwan!!!

Yes, Phoenix is going fast!

Congratulations on your wife getting her passport. It was next to impossible to find a passport appointment here but did find one whole appointment on April 7 so I booked it!

June 11, 2004: Went to the U.S. embassy in Denmark to file the I-130 and DS-230 - approved on the spot

Timeline
46 minutes ago, AHC_2015 said:

Yes, Phoenix is going fast!

Congratulations on your wife getting her passport. It was next to impossible to find a passport appointment here but did find one whole appointment on April 7 so I booked it!

Same situation here in Dallas.  I was lucky to get an appointment a week after her oath ceremony.  

8 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Same situation here in Dallas.  I was lucky to get an appointment a week after her oath ceremony.  

That's so crazy. When I checked in February (just to see what was there) there wasn't a single appointment for March.

Timeline
Just now, AHC_2015 said:

That's so crazy. When I checked in February (just to see what was there) there wasn't a single appointment for March.

Luckily, I started checking as soon as we received the date of her oath.  

33 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Luckily, I started checking as soon as we received the date of her oath.  

That's what I did too. You have to be quick to get an appointment.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.