Aezda

Meeting Evidence

23 posts in this topic

I'm not the most organized person. My Russian fiancé and I had a wonderful trip to Mexico last month, and I'm pretty sure I crumpled my boarding pass up and threw it away along with some other trash in our AirBnb. Then I was given a small receipt after I got through the airport in Cancun instead of a stamp, and I forgot it when it was time to depart. I had to go to some office there and fill out a form saying I didn't receive the stamp on my passport, and when I asked if I get a stamp after that they said no. I got home, didn't think about filing the petition for awhile, and now I don't know where that form is. Or my return boarding pass. I have flight receipts but after reaching out to Spirit, they can't send me a copy of old boarding passes. I have the AirBnb receipt, I have transactions in Mexico, pictures, my fiancé has his boarding passes...how screwed am I?

Edited by Aezda

You must have the email confirmation and/ or the transaction from when you purchased the flights. 

And you should not worry much. The requirement is that you met; you fulfill it and you're providing evidence.

7 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

You must have the email confirmation and/ or the transaction from when you purchased the flights. 

And you should not worry much. The requirement is that you met; you fulfill it and you're providing evidence.

I do have the transactions, but they don't have the flight dates, just the date of purchase, and I'm feeling a little nervous about that. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 hours ago, Aezda said:

I'm not the most organized person. My Russian fiancé and I had a wonderful trip to Mexico last month, and I'm pretty sure I crumpled my boarding pass up and threw it away along with some other trash in our AirBnb. Then I was given a small receipt after I got through the airport in Cancun instead of a stamp, and I forgot it when it was time to depart. I had to go to some office there and fill out a form saying I didn't receive the stamp on my passport, and when I asked if I get a stamp after that they said no. I got home, didn't think about filing the petition for awhile, and now I don't know where that form is. Or my return boarding pass. I have flight receipts but after reaching out to Spirit, they can't send me a copy of old boarding passes. I have the AirBnb receipt, I have transactions in Mexico, pictures, my fiancé has his boarding passes...how screwed am I?

To be blunt, you need to develop better habits if you want a smooth immigration journey.  The immigration process demands a degree of forethought, organization and planning. The fact is that you MUST have solid proof of meeting evidence by dated evidence.  Itineraries are not good proof as they can be changed before traveling.  The receipts and a few pictures together MIGHT be enough. This process requires knowledge, planning, time, patience, and money.  Good luck.  I wish you well on this journey. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Really surprised that Spirit never emailed you a flight itin.

With my I-129F, I did not submit a single boarding pass or a passport stamp. For each meeting (at least 10), I just had:

* flight itins of my fiancee and me

* hotel reservation in my name

* at least one photo of us together

Whether USCIS was convinced by the volume of what some would say is weak evidence, or was convinced by any single meeting, I cannot say.

Since it has been a while, simple remedy: meet again, and document better.

Better yet  before you meet, get married online. After you meet, file I-130.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
10 hours ago, Aezda said:

can you request an itinerary or ask them a way you can obtain it? I assume you have your booking code or similar reference number?
It is weird they never emailed you the itinerary with flight times and such. It's not uncommon to need that info, my dad has to show when he was out of country and how long and purpose as he's on indefinite leave to remain (like a greencard) and he travels a lot for business. The record of you booking in more detail exists somewhere, I'm sure it can be provided or found online. I just included my itineraries instead of boarding passes as I only use digital. 

Honestly, I think your partners boarding passes + proof of your presence in mexico (your card + photos + airbnb and whatever else) should suffice. Like theoretically not all LDRs fly to meet up so not everyone has boarding passes to prove they were together, they are prob the most straight forward evidence though.

I-129f filed: 2022-10-21  ||  NOA1: 2022-10-24  ||  NOA2: 2023-09-21
NVC Received: 2023-10-13  ||  NVC in transit: 2023-10-24  ||  NVC Ready: 2023-10-26 

Medical: 2023-11-24  ||  Interview: 2023-12-14  ||  CEAC Issued: 2023-12-18  ||  VOH: 2023-12-20
Entry to US: 2024-02-14 || Married: 2024-02-29

---

AOS filed: 2024-03-18 ||  NOA1: 2024-03-20 || Biometrics: 2024-04-01
EAD NOA2: 2024-04-02  ||  EAD Received: 2024-04-24
GC Approval: ...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 minute ago, AndiB said:

It is weird they never emailed you the itinerary with flight times and such

I am wondering how OP knew what time to leave for the airport without such an itin. 

14 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Purchasing tickets is not adequate as evidence of meeting.   Passport stamps and boarding passes are.

3 hours ago, AndiB said:

can you request an itinerary or ask them a way you can obtain it? I assume you have your booking code or similar reference number?
It is weird they never emailed you the itinerary with flight times and such. It's not uncommon to need that info, my dad has to show when he was out of country and how long and purpose as he's on indefinite leave to remain (like a greencard) and he travels a lot for business. The record of you booking in more detail exists somewhere, I'm sure it can be provided or found online. I just included my itineraries instead of boarding passes as I only use digital. 

Honestly, I think your partners boarding passes + proof of your presence in mexico (your card + photos + airbnb and whatever else) should suffice. Like theoretically not all LDRs fly to meet up so not everyone has boarding passes to prove they were together, they are prob the most straight forward evidence though.

Itinerary will not be adequate.   It doesn’t ‘prove’ that anyone travelled or met.

Boarding passes and passport stamps are a critical piece to this.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Itinerary will not be adequate.   It doesn’t ‘prove’ that anyone travelled or met.

Boarding passes and passport stamps are a critical piece to this.

I haven't seen that as a requirement. What if you drive to meet cause they're only in Canada/Mexico??

I've seen people been approved without including boarding passes. Not everyone meets with intention to file and therefore starts storing evidence. Will their case be less reliable? Yes. Does it mean they have zero evidence? No.

It's not a court, they just need to convince the officer they'd met. Worst case they get an RFE for meeting evidence but it's unlikely. 

I can get a boarding pass without boarding the plane. 

Edited by AndiB

NVC Received: 2023-10-13  ||  NVC in transit: 2023-10-24  ||  NVC Ready: 2023-10-26 

Medical: 2023-11-24  ||  Interview: 2023-12-14  ||  CEAC Issued: 2023-12-18  ||  VOH: 2023-12-20

---

Timeline

I also don't get passport stamps when I travel and nor does my bf. Stamps are not common anymore. I travel internationally a couple times a yr and only two countries give me a stamp or proof of entry.

---

3 minutes ago, AndiB said:

I haven't seen that as a requirement. What if you drive to meet cause they're only in Canada/Mexico??

I've seen people been approved without including boarding passes. Not everyone meets with intention to file and therefore starts storing evidence. Will their case be less reliable? Yes. Does it mean they have zero evidence? No.

It's not a court, they just need to convince the officer they'd met. Worst case they get an RFE for meeting evidence but it's unlikely. 

I can get a boarding pass without boarding the plane. 

What I mean is:  using an emailed itinerary in lieu of passport stamps or boarding passes will not work.  People book flights and do not travel all the time.   Can you get a printed boarding pass and check your luggage and then fail to board the plane?   Yes.   But, realistically does that happen?

Historically, boarding pass and passport stamp have been widely accepted as evidence.   

Passport stamps may be requested at any border.

4 minutes ago, AndiB said:

I also don't get passport stamps when I travel and nor does my bf. Stamps are not common anymore. I travel internationally a couple times a yr and only two countries give me a stamp or proof of entry.

Ask for stamps, if you want them.   Or an electronic document showing admission (similar to our I-94).   Believe it or not, there is a record of your admissions/departures from other countries.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Ask for stamps, if you want them.   Or an electronic document showing admission (similar to our I-94).   Believe it or not, there is a record of your admissions/departures from other countries.

Then why don't they just do that for Mexico?

I've asked for a stamp, as did they and have been denied 

---

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.