Diane and Chris

NOTICE OF INTERVIEW CANCELLATION BY USCIS

24 posts in this topic

My husband and I attended his ROC (I751) interview on March 14, 2023. We filed the paperwork back in June 2020, so we’ve waited a long time for the interview. We brought lots of evidence, such as title to car, deed to house, bank statements, utility bills, tax returns for the last 6 years and more. We both thought the interview went well and she (the USCIS) took 3-4 statements of every file we brought with us.  She asked my husband my birthday and asked me our marriage date.  Last Saturday, we received an I-797C, Notice of Action. The letter stated:  This is to advise you that, due to unforeseen circumstances, we have canceled the previously scheduled interview on Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 7:30 for the above applicant.  We regret any inconvenience this may cause. You will be notified of any further action taken on this case, including any rescheduled interview information, under separate notice.  The notice date was March 14, 2023 which was the date we went to the interview. We have heard nothing else. Is there advice anyone can offer?  Thanks for reading and for any help you can give us. We will have been married for 6 years in May and have waited so long for this to be over.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I would call USCIS, say “info pass”, and request a tier 2 officer call.

28 minutes ago, Mike E said:

We will sure try that tomorrow. Thanks Mike.  

29 minutes ago, OldUser said:

This is so bizarre. Hopefully this is just a glitch in the system or left hand not knowing what the right hand doing. 

Maybe the cancelled it last minute, but went ahead with your interview since you were present... Keep us updated

Sure will. This interview was not expected in the first place, as we had an interview with AOS back in 2018. 

32 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

Sure will. This interview was not expected in the first place, as we had an interview with AOS back in 2018. 

How much initial evidence did you send with the 751 packet? People seem to get randomly assigned interviews by field offices, I think I read like 5-10% of applicants get this regardless of their cases strength 

12 minutes ago, TeddyFazBear said:

How much initial evidence did you send with the 751 packet? People seem to get randomly assigned interviews by field offices, I think I read like 5-10% of applicants get this regardless of their cases strength 

I’m thinking we were the lucky 5-10%. We sent quite a bit as we had been married over 2 years. Pretty much everything I mentioned above and a few pictures of some of the trips we made traveling in the U.S  Also, 2 letters from my relatives that had met and know my husband. Hopefully, we will hear something soon. 

Edited by Diane and Chris
added text

8 hours ago, Diane and Chris said:

My husband and I attended his ROC (I751) interview on March 14, 2023. We filed the paperwork back in June 2020, so we’ve waited a long time for the interview. We brought lots of evidence, such as title to car, deed to house, bank statements, utility bills, tax returns for the last 6 years and more. We both thought the interview went well and she (the USCIS) took 3-4 statements of every file we brought with us.  She asked my husband my birthday and asked me our marriage date.  Last Saturday, we received an I-797C, Notice of Action. The letter stated:  This is to advise you that, due to unforeseen circumstances, we have canceled the previously scheduled interview on Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 7:30 for the above applicant.  We regret any inconvenience this may cause. You will be notified of any further action taken on this case, including any rescheduled interview information, under separate notice.  The notice date was March 14, 2023 which was the date we went to the interview. We have heard nothing else. Is there advice anyone can offer?  Thanks for reading and for any help you can give us. We will have been married for 6 years in May and have waited so long for this to be over.  

I would say it was a glitch, my wife had her GC in hand and USCIS sent us a interview letter scheduling our interview. We were just as confused as you are now, but we did attend or should I say go to the scheduled interview only to be told it was an error. So yes since you already attended I would say it was an error, but indeed I would bring it to someones attention!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

4 hours ago, Sarge2155 said:

I would say it was a glitch, my wife had her GC in hand and USCIS sent us a interview letter scheduling our interview. We were just as confused as you are now, but we did attend or should I say go to the scheduled interview only to be told it was an error. So yes since you already attended I would say it was an error, but indeed I would bring it to someones attention!

Congratulations on your GC and citizenship!  We will attempt to reach someone today. Thank you for your response. 

49 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

Congratulations on your GC and citizenship!  We will attempt to reach someone today. Thank you for your response. 

This was during the AOS phase, I might add!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

I hope you have been able to initiate a conversation with USCIS. As others have said, this is most likely a glitch. We had something similar happen to us as @Sarge2155 when we went in for our AOS interview, except that we received the cancellation beforehand. Thanks to VJ, we knew that stuff like that is not too rare with USCIS and that others had received denials for no shows, so we went anyway. And sure enough, they were ready for us, conducted the interview, and I got my GC a few weeks later. Nobody even so much as mentioned the cancellation.

Different USCIS offices also don’t seem to communicate well with each other. When I went in for my citizenship interview, my interviewers were a bit confused that I already had my 10 year GC which had been approved and sent to me without an interview two months prior. They then told me that apparently, the USCIS office in charge hadn’t updated my RoC approval system-wide, so they had to do it while I was waiting there. 

I don’t think you have anything to worry about, and I hope the situation resolves itself in a speedy approval and GC delivery. Best of luck! 

Edited by CMJuilland

ROC: 

12/30/2019 package sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS 

12/31/2019 package arrived at Texas Lockbox 

01/02/2020 package signed for

01/04/2020 $680 charged on credit card

01/06/2020 text message and email with case number received

01/09/2020 extension letter received; notice date: 01/03/2020

02/22/2020 biometrics appointment letter received 

03/06/2020 biometrics appointment 

08/09/2021 I-751 approved

08/16/2021 Green Card received

Naturalization:

12/29/2020 application filed online and receipt number received 

01/04/2021 hard copy NOA1 received 

02/27/2021 electronic biometric reuse letter received

09/19/2021 interview scheduled - electronic notice received 

09/27/2021 hard copy interview notice received (issue date: 09/21/2021)

10/27/2021 interview (10.40am), approved

11/06/2021 oath ceremony (7.30am) 

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!! 

Passport:

11/08/2021 appointment at USPS (2.00pm)

11/16/2021 money order cashed, passport “in process” (locator 69)

12/02/2021 approved and shipped

12/04/2021 passport book delivered

12/13/2021 passport card and NC delivered 

14 hours ago, Mike E said:

Thank you so much for this information. We just called and talked to a live person. She set up a tier 2 officer call. Just curious, how did you find this information?  She also said that we should expect a call within the next 15-30 days. I thought she was going to say the next 15-30 minutes. 🙂  Guess we will just do some more waiting.  Thanks again!  

Edited by Diane and Chris
Add words

46 minutes ago, CMJuilland said:

I hope you have been able to initiate a conversation with USCIS. As others have said, this is most likely a glitch. We had something similar happen to us as @Sarge2155 when we went in for our AOS interview, except that we received the cancellation beforehand. Thanks to VJ, we knew that stuff like that is not too rare with USCIS and that others had received denials for no shows, so we went anyway. And sure enough, they were ready for us, conducted the interview, and I got my GC a few weeks later. Nobody even so much as mentioned the cancellation.

Different USCIS offices also don’t seem to communicate well with each other. When I went in for my citizenship interview, my interviewers were a bit confused that I already had my 10 year GC which had been approved and sent to me without an interview two months prior. They then told me that apparently, the USCIS office in charge hadn’t updated my RoC approval system-wide, so they had to do it while I was waiting there. 

I don’t think you have anything to worry about, and I hope the situation resolves itself in a speedy approval and GC delivery. Best of luck! 

Thank you so much!  We do think it is some glitch, but you can’t help but think a few negative thoughts. It certainly was a good idea that you showed up for the cancelled interview. Sound like things are going well for you. Congratulations on your citizenship. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 minute ago, Diane and Chris said:

Just curious, did you find out this information?

The trick of saying “info pass” was learned from either reddit or VJ or both. The trick emerged after USCIS eliminated online scheduling of info pass appointments and changed its automated  phone attendant to an IQ test.

The trick of asking for a Tier 2 officer was learned from reddit and VJ after people more experienced than me determined that the officers answering the phone are tier 1 and largely kept uninformed snd not trained.

I surmise a tier 1 let it slip that there were people called tier 2 officers who had a clue. Once the cat was out of the bag it became part of the lore on reddit and VJ.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

Thank you so much!  We do think it is some glitch, but you can’t help but think a few negative thoughts. It certainly was a good idea that you showed up for the cancelled interview. Sound like things are going well for you. Congratulations on your citizenship. 

By the way what does your status say online for your case? Still Interview scheduled or what? It's a glitch just like when you get approved for their I-751 it will say Card in Production. Then a few days later it will say you are approved. They are ### backwards oh well.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.