Sudowpa2

I-864 Evidence for Non-Taxable Income

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am in a situation which I cannot figure out. I have tried to ask other forums, but I haven't gotten a straight answer or the question was completely ignored. I hope that I have better luck here.

I am the USC, filing for my Colombian spouse.

I am currently at the NVC stage and preparing my I-864.

My situation is that I earn non-taxable monies throughout the year from the Social Security Administrations and Veterans Affairs.

Between those two, I make way over the minimum that is needed to sponsor, household of 2. (Only me and my wife)

The monies are considered permanent for the rest of my life. I have been collecting for 11 years so far.

Between reading the I-864 itself and also the I-864 instructions. It is not very clear on what I should include as evidence.

When you have taxable monies then you submit your tax transcripts, 1040s or W-2s. Simple.

When you have non-taxable monies. There is nothing showing what clear evidence is needed.

I do have a joint sponsor setup just incase it falls through. I want to submit one I-864, first, on my own merits. I do not want the joint sponsor to sign a contract if they don't have to. If I were to get an RFE for the I-864. Then, that is when I would add the joint sponsor. As a last resort. I know that will cause a delay in my case, but that is okay. I am trying to push my case out a little.

Documents and Evidence that I will include with the I-864.

1. VA Card, Medicare Card, and Military ID Card

2. Award letters showing how much I will make per month for the year 2023, SSA and VA.

3. I also have a letter showing how much I made in the last 10 years, each year. VA also showing my wife added as a dependent.

4. DD214

5. Bank Statements of where the deposits go. I will supply one year of statements. I do have up to three years, if needed.

I hope that someone can help me and shine some light on this subject. 

Thank You,

Kevin

I'm not an expert but I'm guessing you will have to include proof from the IRS or your own signed statement as to why you don't have to file taxes (if that is the case)

Payment advice/stubs of your current non taxable income, 6 months preferably.

Make some notes in the NVC section to explain all his to them

Joint sponsor can be a backup. As I recently found out, as long as you supply all required financial documents, i.e. proof of income and last tax return (or reason of no filing) then it should come back okay

Edited by sleplessinvisland

Timeline

Moore, give or take 70k net

Sleplessinvisland,

Well that's the funny part. I actually did my taxes but only put down zero dollar because non of my monies are taxable.

Reason for this is because just like the immigration to ask. Why you didn't do taxes? i still have to write a note explaining why. Now that I did my taxes. It's easier to prove i did it then to keep writing thr same note over and over for different companies. Even when you sign up for fasfa. They will want a note. Easier just to send the sad excuse if a tax transcript.

My worries is that no where online tells you about how much evidence they want. Kind of a thing to do to leave those kinds those things out of the loop especially when more and more people are being medically retired 

Edited by Sudowpa2
Forgot a letter

Understand, in that case submit the latest tax transcript + proof of your pay, that is all they ask for; its just your case is a little different

Explain why your taxable income is zero in the comments, or better yet upload an 'official' letter explaining

Edited by sleplessinvisland

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

how do you get you money? by check or directky deposited to bank? can you get social security statements and VA statements?

I-129 F SENT 11/27/2018

NOA 1 12/03/2018

RFE      04/10/2019

RFE REPLY 04/25/2019

NOA 2 05/09/2019

NVC RECEIVED 06/05/2019

CASE # ASSIGNED NVC  06/10/2019

NVC LEFT 06/25/2019

EMBASSY RECEIVED 07/02/2019

K1 INTERVIEW APPROVAL  07/18/2019

USA ENTRY🛬 07/30/2019

MARRIED 🤵💖👰09/13/2019

AOS SENT 10/08/2019

AOS RECEIVED 10/09/2019

AOS NOA 1 10/25/2019

BIOMETRICS 11/20/2019

READY TO INTERVIEW: 12/23/2020

Interview scheduled update 02/20/2020
Interview Scheduled for 04/08/2020
03/31/2020 interview has been cancelled due to COVID19
04/01/20202 case ready to be scheduled for an interview
08/24/2020 Interview has been scheduled
Interview 9/14/2020
I 485 approved 9/14/2020
GC mailed 9/17/2020
GC received 9/21/2020

ROC mailed 09/01/2022

ROC received 09/02/2022

NOA RECEIVED 09/16/2022

Timeline

All monies are directly deposited. It has been that way since the last 12 years collecting.  

proof is easy to obtain. What is not easy to obtain is a clear statement from immigration stating which documents are needed at a bare minimum for them to be satisfied.  

I have three years of deposits. All the award letters including the letters showing how much I will make in the future. I get a new one each year especially if there is a cola increase. 

The issue is that the I864 instructions are catered to people who work a 9-5 job. Who can generate w2s and tax transcripts.  Not for any other scenarios. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Sudowpa2 said:

All monies are directly deposited. It has been that way since the last 12 years collecting.  

proof is easy to obtain. What is not easy to obtain is a clear statement from immigration stating which documents are needed at a bare minimum for them to be satisfied.  

I have three years of deposits. All the award letters including the letters showing how much I will make in the future. I get a new one each year especially if there is a cola increase. 

The issue is that the I864 instructions are catered to people who work a 9-5 job. Who can generate w2s and tax transcripts.  Not for any other scenarios. 

You need a copy of the SS benefits letter and a copy of your VA awards letter.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2023 at 6:46 PM, Sudowpa2 said:

I am in a situation which I cannot figure out. I have tried to ask other forums, but I haven't gotten a straight answer or the question was completely ignored. I hope that I have better luck here.

I am the USC, filing for my Colombian spouse.

I am currently at the NVC stage and preparing my I-864.

My situation is that I earn non-taxable monies throughout the year from the Social Security Administrations and Veterans Affairs.

Between those two, I make way over the minimum that is needed to sponsor, household of 2. (Only me and my wife)

The monies are considered permanent for the rest of my life. I have been collecting for 11 years so far.

Between reading the I-864 itself and also the I-864 instructions. It is not very clear on what I should include as evidence.

When you have taxable monies then you submit your tax transcripts, 1040s or W-2s. Simple.

When you have non-taxable monies. There is nothing showing what clear evidence is needed.

I do have a joint sponsor setup just incase it falls through. I want to submit one I-864, first, on my own merits. I do not want the joint sponsor to sign a contract if they don't have to. If I were to get an RFE for the I-864. Then, that is when I would add the joint sponsor. As a last resort. I know that will cause a delay in my case, but that is okay. I am trying to push my case out a little.

Documents and Evidence that I will include with the I-864.

1. VA Card, Medicare Card, and Military ID Card

2. Award letters showing how much I will make per month for the year 2023, SSA and VA.

3. I also have a letter showing how much I made in the last 10 years, each year. VA also showing my wife added as a dependent.

4. DD214

5. Bank Statements of where the deposits go. I will supply one year of statements. I do have up to three years, if needed.

I hope that someone can help me and shine some light on this subject. 

Thank You,

Kevin

Hello Kevin, I'm in the exact some boat you are, looking to proceed but was wondering if it would be accepted, except I don't have the availability of a co-sponsor. I, too am hoping to get visa at the 2-year mark so we're able for the 10-year GC. My adjusted Gross income is right around $550 only, although my income is over $73k per year.

I'm hoping we can keep in touch to update each other on our progress.

Timeline

I am going to try my situation first. I do have a joint sponsor lined up. I just do t want to out my dad in that situation if i can avoid it completely. 

Do you have a date when you are going to submit the affidavit of support?

I am going to submit my whole package on May 2nd. It takes about 15-20 days to review and if all is well then it will be document qualified.

I am asking about the dates on yours since you said you are waiting for the 10 year green card. 

I can be the guinea pig and submit those documents and see what happens. Of all goes well the. I'll tell you exactly what I submitted and you can do the same for same results.

1 minute ago, Sudowpa2 said:

I am going to try my situation first. I do have a joint sponsor lined up. I just do t want to out my dad in that situation if i can avoid it completely. 

Do you have a date when you are going to submit the affidavit of support?

I am going to submit my whole package on May 2nd. It takes about 15-20 days to review and if all is well then it will be document qualified.

I am asking about the dates on yours since you said you are waiting for the 10 year green card. 

I can be the guinea pig and submit those documents and see what happens. Of all goes well the. I'll tell you exactly what I submitted and you can do the same for same results.

Yes, thanks I appreciate that! We got married on 12/16/2021 online, consummated marriage in February, filed I-130 4/14/2022. I'm filling out DS-260 and AOS and have to get documents and upload yet. My AGI on my tax transcript only was about $550 even though SS was around $23,000. VA is $3,900 per month.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.