AmericanDream1

February 2023 i-130 filers

145 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

November 2022 filing for a parent here, electronic, NSC.

As I understand it, they assign an expected process date to your case. Until they update that date, it stays the same, and your time remaining estimate updates based on that date.

If that date is in the past you get the "longer than expected" message.

I have seen that suddenly appear when I had 5 months left. So someone changed our date. Then they changed it back to a date 5 months away.

Our most recent date said "1 week" then "longer than expected"

Then a few days later "3 months" or something. Then 8 weeks and I narrowed it down to January 2nd because for several weeks every Tuesday the week counts down by 1.

I imagine it will pass and they'll update the estimated date again soon.

Just know it doesn't mean much.

Click the "Spoiler" button to see our full timeline.

I-129F Sent : 2016-02-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2016-02-19

I-129F NOA2 : 2016-04-18

I-129F NOA2 (printed) : 2016-04-22

NBI, CENOMAR, Birth Certificates, Passport Complete: 2016-05-02

NVC Acknowledged Case: 2016-05-06

NVC Assigned Case Number: 2016-05-09

CFO Certificate: 2016-05-12

Medical Complete: 2016-05-17

Interview Passed: 2016-05-23

CEAC Status "Administrative Processing": 2016-05-23

CEAC Status "Issued": 2016-05-24

2GO in transit: 2016-05-26

Visa in hand: 2016-05-27 (Manila)

POE: 2016-05-29

Married: 2016-07-16

AOS Sent: 2016-08-24

NOA Email: 2016-08-31
Biometrics: 2016-09-29
EAD Status "New Card is being produced" : 2016-11-02
AP Status "Case was approved" : 2016-11-02
EAD Status "Card is has been delivered to me by USPS" : 2016-11-18 (Status never said "mailed")
I-485 Status "New Card is being produced":2016-11-22

3 hours ago, marescarcha said:

I am so happy my mom's case was approved today!

priority date 2/9/23 - approved 1/11/24

What do I have to do next? I don't quite understand if I have to fill de i485 right now or later....

Does NVC contact me?

Thanks!!

Where is your mother now? 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 hours ago, marescarcha said:

What do I have to do next? I don't quite understand if I have to fill de i485 right now or later....

Does NVC contact me?

Thanks!!

Where is your service center? And also, did you went through the progress of "taking longer than expected"? 

1 hour ago, marescarcha said:

She is NOT in the USA

Then no I-485. That's only for those who are doing adjustment of status, rather than consular processing.

Now you just wait and follow this process once the file is at NVC and you've received your Welcome Letter (which comes via email, despite the name!). https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/step-2-begin-nvc-processing.html

Edited by appleblossom

20 hours ago, marescarcha said:

Does NVC contact me?

Thanks!!

Congratulations on this, thank you for sharing it is very helpful for others that are waiting! If your mom is outside of the US the form to fill for the next step is DS260 - i485 is for adjustment of status if the parent is in the country. Good luck on the rest of the process!

25 minutes ago, JLA22 said:

Congratulations on this, thank you for sharing it is very helpful for others that are waiting! If your mom is outside of the US the form to fill for the next step is DS260 - i485 is for adjustment of status if the parent is in the country. Good luck on the rest of the process!

Thank you for the clarification!

Do I have to fill de DS260 now, or should I wait until I get some correspondence from NVC? Thanks.

3 hours ago, appleblossom said:

Then no I-485. That's only for those who are doing adjustment of status, rather than consular processing.

Now you just wait and follow this process once the file is at NVC and you've received your Welcome Letter (which comes via email, despite the name!). https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/step-2-begin-nvc-processing.html

Thanks for the link!

At what point fo I have to fill for the green card? (while she is outside the US, or when she moves here. It is so I can budget all my expenses).

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, marescarcha said:

Thank you for the clarification!

Do I have to fill de DS260 now, or should I wait until I get some correspondence from NVC? Thanks.

Thanks for the link!

At what point fo I have to fill for the green card? (while she is outside the US, or when she moves here. It is so I can budget all my expenses).

Thanks!

You can't fill the DS-260 in until you've had your Welcome Letter and paid your fees. Not sure what you mean 'fill for the green card', do you mean pay for it? You have to pay the fees when you get the Welcome Letter, and then the $220 GC fee can be paid anytime after interview/visa receipt.

So you've got a few things left to pay for, but the $220 fee can be left until your mother is in the US if you prefer. Just don't forget the biggest expense for her - health insurance!

If you have a look at the link I gave you, that answers your questions - it's step by step instructions for the whole process. 

Good luck. 

15 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

You can't fill the DS-260 in until you've had your Welcome Letter and paid your fees. Not sure what you mean 'fill for the green card', do you mean pay for it? You have to pay the fees when you get the Welcome Letter, and then the $220 GC fee can be paid anytime after interview/visa receipt.

So you've got a few things left to pay for, but the $220 fee can be left until your mother is in the US if you prefer. Just don't forget the biggest expense for her - health insurance!

If you have a look at the link I gave you, that answers your questions - it's step by step instructions for the whole process. 

Good luck. 

Got it!

Yes, I am looking for solutions for the health insurance! Thankfully she is healthy!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.