olroyda

I-130 for married brother with children

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all, I desperately need advice. This is my first time filing for I-130 for my married brother and also married sister (Filed for both of them on March 2022). I misunderstood the I-130 process, I thought that once my brother's I-130 is approved, his sons and wife are automatically approved as well. I did not know that the wife and the sons each need to have their own I-130 filed by my brother once he  will be here. Now my problem is that, my brother is from Philippines, so the I-130 timeline will be more than 10 years and once that time comes, my nephews will be 26 and 27 years old. Is there a way that my brother's wife and nephews will be able to come at the same time? I appreciate your response.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They will more likely be 46 and 47.

You sponsor your sibling, spouse and minor children come into the equation when the priority date is current 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

You have about 20 years to wait, might be longer as time goes by. At the time the priority date becomes current you can add spouses/children to the petition as derivatives you do not need to file for them separately. Most likely the children will age out and the parent(s) will have to file for them after they obtain LPR status if the children are not married or USC status if the children are married. 

22 hours ago, olroyda said:

the I-130 timeline will be more than 10 years

No, more like 20 years.

One suggestion is for them to study a field that is in demand in the US.  Nursing and Physical Therapy are apparently exempt from the labor determination process.

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Timeline

I can’t believe it’s 20+ years waiting. This is just frustrating. I’m having my sister (31) go back to school for nursing so maybe she can apply to work here instead of waiting. And for my brother’s case, they have a back up plan after I told them the situation. His wife is a teacher and will apply through her profession. My 2 nephews will be in college this yr and next year, one will take nursing and the other one will be medtech. My sister’s daughter is 8 years old, I was planning to adopt her, I’ve read about adopting relatives must be under 16 yrs old but the question is, will I need to live in the Philippines for 2 years before I can adopt her? I mean this does not make sense.

thank you all for the response 

Edited by olroyda

Timeline

Looks like you want to bring over 7 people, explains why there is a long wait.

You want to adopt a nice whose parents are alive? Being able to do so would be a matter for local law, then wanting her to immigrate would be something you need to discuss with an Immigration Lawyer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Yes I want to adopt my neice cause she will be 28 when the visa gets approved. She’ll be left behind. And yes, I want all my siblings and their families to be here. Thanks for the recommendation, I will consult with an immigration lawyer.

Edited by olroyda

Timeline

This is your sisters child, if she is coming as a nurse she can bring her daughter..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.