apond

Name spelling issue

26 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, apond said:

She will try but I feel this is less a BC issue than the fact they issued her a passport with her name spelled differently than her BC.  Which is just odd to me as here I had to submit my BC to get my US passport. We will work on figuring this out. 

I must have read your initial post wrong, as I swear you said her name is Jennifer and is spelled as such on her passport, so I’m not sure why that one vs the BC would be corrected. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, throwitaway said:

I must have read your initial post wrong, as I swear you said her name is Jennifer and is spelled as such on her passport, so I’m not sure why that one vs the BC would be corrected. 

On BC is Jenifer on Passport it’s Jennifer. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
17 minutes ago, apond said:

She believes her small one. Which we just located and it too has one N. Interesting to have a passport differ from BC spelling. 

That is surprising. The passport agency in Gatineau that Canadians residing  in the U.S. must use (via courier) is quite strict IME and I still have emotional scars.  

The regional passport offices in NS must be slack. 

As a Canadian residing in the U.S. she might find that future passport renewals will be difficult unless she corrects this.  

1 hour ago, throwitaway said:

You should correct the BC.

From NS Vital Stats:  “Occasionally birth records need to be amended, when an error has been made or for another reason, such as adding the father’s name.  If you would like to correct an error or omission that was made in the original Registration of Birth, contact the Nova Scotia Vital Statistics Office by calling (902) 424-4381 or by sending an e-mail to vstat@gov.ns.ca.  In some cases, a change or correction to a person’s name does not require a legal change of name under the Change of Name Act.  An agent of Vital Statistics will evaluate your request to find out whether your name can be corrected through the amendment process of the Vital Statistics Act.”

This is the way.  Submit copies of the documents she has been using (driver's licence, passport, SIN card if she has it; health care card), and they will correct the typo.  This is minor variation and should not cause problems [anything bigger would have required justification to Passport Canada], but still best to correct it. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

That is surprising. The passport agency in Gatineau that Canadians residing  in the U.S. must use (via courier) is quite strict IME and I still have emotional scars.  

The regional passport offices in NS must be slack. 

As a Canadian residing in the U.S. she might find that future passport renewals will be difficult unless she corrects this.  

We will definitely work on fixing it once we are sure which needs to be fixed. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

This is the way.  Submit copies of the documents she has been using (driver's licence, passport, SIN card if she has it; health care card), and they will correct the typo.  This is minor variation and should not cause problems [anything bigger would have required justification to Passport Canada], but still best to correct it. 

Thank you!

1 minute ago, apond said:

We will definitely work on fixing it once we are sure which needs to be fixed. 

Unless she wants to use the one N version, do NOT contact Passport Canada; just try to have her birth certificate corrected.  

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Unless she wants to use the one N version, do NOT contact Passport Canada; just try to have her birth certificate corrected.  

Thanks! Nope want to stick with the 2 N version if possible. 

9 hours ago, apond said:

Thanks! Nope want to stick with the 2 N version if possible. 

Then go Birth Cert route. Will be easiest. I had to do that in Philippines, saved a lot of problems as my wife is much older and has more name historys.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Spell her name correctly on the present documents and the area where it ask if she has used any other name legally just put in her full name and spell her first name with one N. At the end where you have space for any other information, explain the discrepancy. You can submit your I-130 like this then she should start working on correcting the spelling legally while I-130 is being approved

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Timeline
4 hours ago, Sparkle Sparkle said:

Spell her name correctly on the present documents and the area where it ask if she has used any other name legally just put in her full name and spell her first name with one N. At the end where you have space for any other information, explain the discrepancy. You can submit your I-130 like this then she should start working on correcting the spelling legally while I-130 is being approved

130 was submitted 6 months ago. We didn’t then know there was an issue . 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.