Chileanhere

Is it possible to apply for Citizenship without Green Card?

13 posts in this topic

Hi

This is the case of a friend of mine from Mexico. She got her GC in April 2017. The card was never received and of course she had to fill the paperwork and pay to receive a replacement which she has not received yet. When she calls to USCIS they say it is still processing and if she checks her status online says do not contact until 2024 (??!!)

Her case has been grossly mishandled. She got her GC through her dad who became an American citizen. Not having a physical green card has brought a lot of inconveniences for her. What can she do next? Through the 5 years rule she could apply for citizenship, but how you do it if you have never ever had a physical green card. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Why do you pay for a replacement if you did not receive the card? 

Did your friend file I-90? 

Her timeline is absurdly long for I-90. Is a lawyer involved in this?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Hi! Got back with more information. She got her GC through her American father. She was mailed a GC on April 2017 in the US. Her dad moved and did not notify the new address to USCIS. So they contacted them and she had to pay for a replacement, and it was given an I90 which for what I understand was the paper used to enter from Mexico to live in the US. I was able to see her USCIS profile last year and the status of the replacement showed processing. I thought it was a long time so I suggested her  to contact a representative in Texas to inquire, which she did. The senator team got a reply it was still under normal processing time and he said there was nothing else at that point they could do, and she needed to wait.  She was supposed to get the card by February this year, and last week she called USCIS and they told her she has to keep waiting. Now her processing time goes to 2024!  There is no lawyer involved.

Edited by Chileanhere

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Chileanhere said:

was given an I90 which for what I understand was the paper used to enter from Mexico to live in the US

Let’s try again. Did she interview for an immigration visa or was she already in the USA and she filed I-485?

19 hours ago, Mike E said:

Let’s try again. Did she interview for an immigration visa or was she already in the USA and she filed I-485?

She went to the Consulate in Mexico were her paperwork was done and her medical test was presented. She traveled to USA with a copy of the I 90 form.

51 minutes ago, Chileanhere said:

She went to the Consulate in Mexico were her paperwork was done and her medical test was presented. She traveled to USA with a copy of the I 90 form.

Doesn't make sense to me. If she had an interview at consulate, she would have had an immigrant visa in passport to enter the US with. After that she would get green card (provided all fees were paid). Don't understand why I-90 was filed.

Edited by OldUser

1 hour ago, Chileanhere said:

She traveled to USA with a copy of the I 90 form.

If you want relevant advice for your friend, you would need to provide accurate info on how exactly they acquired LPR status.  It doesn't make sense to file an I-90 before an immigrant enters the US.  An I-90 is not a valid US travel document.  Did your friend have a visa clearly marked "IMMIGRANT VISA" when they entered the US?

7 minutes ago, Chancy said:

If you want relevant advice for your friend, you would need to provide accurate info on how exactly they acquired LPR status.  It doesn't make sense to file an I-90 before an immigrant enters the US.  An I-90 is not a valid US travel document.  Did your friend have a visa clearly marked "IMMIGRANT VISA" when they entered the US?

I believe I have explained. They acquired LPR status for being a daughter of a US citizen. The green card was mailed out. Her father moved and did not notify to USCIS. The GC was declared lost/not received. She was asked to pay for a replacement card.

Edited by Chileanhere

1 minute ago, Chileanhere said:

I believe I have explained. They acquired LPR status for being a daughter of a US citizen.

And we have been trying to tell you that there is more than one path to LPR status for a child of a US citizen.  This is vital information or we wouldn't be wasting our time asking this repeatedly.  So, I will try again -- Did your friend have a visa clearly marked "IMMIGRANT VISA" when they entered the US?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

This is futile. 

If there was an immigration visa, submit a copy of the immigration with N-400.  

If there was an I-485 approval, submit a copy of the I-485 approval  with N-400.  

In either  case, also include a copy of the  I-90 receipt.  

I am out. 

Edited by Mike E

51 minutes ago, Mike E said:

This is futile. 

If there was an immigration visa, submit a copy of the immigration with N-400.  

If there was an I-485 approval, submit a copy of the I-485 approval  with N-400.  

In either  case, also include a copy of the  I-90 receipt.  

I am out. 

Sorry to have ask the Gods to come down and try to help. Always an attitude and I know better demeanor. I am out of this "community" .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.