T Town Hombre

Bringing the rest of the family

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your wife would have to naturalise first, then she can apply for married child including Husband and any minor children but we are talking decades and the grandchild will have aged out by then.

Did the school issue an I 20, not clear what is meant by admissions letter, if so that route is for a F1 student visa, but the parents are not involved that is just for her.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 hours ago, T Town Hombre said:

Wife has a green card but is not a citizen yet.  Daughter is married and has one child.  I don't make enough money to sponsor all three of them.  My wife's sister is a citizen but is a royal pain.  She won't do the paperwork but wants me to do the paperwork her way which will be wrong, and it won't fly. (Was the reason I asked so many stupid questions for my wife's paperwork because of the sister's interference.)

You SIL is not involved now and will probably not be involved when the visa is available in 20 years.  Also, there is no paperwork required until your wife becomes a USC.

Step 1.  Wait for wife to gain citizenshp: 3-4 years

Step 2:  3-4 years later, wife files I-130 for her daughter.

Step 3:  Wait for F3 visa number to become available.  15-20 years.

Step 5:  18 to 24 years from now, your wife will need to submit the I-864 to sponsor her daughter.  At this time, if your combned income does not qualify, then you may need to ask your SIL to be a joint sponsor.

5 hours ago, T Town Hombre said:

My wife has been here almost 8 months now.  Life is good but now she wants to bring some family, mainly her daughter, son in law and their only child of 14 years old.  The child has a great talent that needs to be fostered and trained or educated more might be a better way of saying it.  The school here in the US agrees and is accepting her at their school and has written her an admissions letter for the school.  It's a prestigious school.

So now the intensive work begins but I don't know where to start and what to do. I don't have the time to research it as I work way too many hours right now.   If you have good suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,  T Town Hombre

Looking at the big picture here, I think you should take the opportunity to educate your wife and bring her expectations of the amount of time it will take before her daughter and her daughter's family is here. You already know that your wife has to be a citizen to file for a married son or daughter. But based on wanting to bring the grandson over to start school, he may very well be pass the age of grade school by they all get a visa to immigrate. A student visa is an option but requires sufficient proof of funds. It is best to let your wife know that her expectations of bringing them here soon is not realistic. It may be painful for her to hear it now but, trust me, it is much better than her harboring unrealistic hopes for the next few years.

Also, as a moderator, I am glad to see you recognize the SIL is trying to do things fraudulently and would not like to participate. VisaJourney does not condone or allow conversations of this nature, so outside of the advice you have gotten about doing it the legal way, there is not many options left for your wife.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 hours ago, T Town Hombre said:

My wife has been here almost 8 months now.  Life is good but now she wants to bring some family, mainly her daughter, son in law and their only child of 14 years old.  The child has a great talent that needs to be fostered and trained or educated more might be a better way of saying it.  The school here in the US agrees and is accepting her at their school and has written her an admissions letter for the school.

An F-1 student visa could be a possibility for her granddaughter, but it would be very expensive if it is a private school, and she would have to apply with evidence that she would return to her home country after completing the program.  Typically only very wealthy families can afford to do this.  Check out the link below for more information on applying for an F-1 visa:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa.html

8 hours ago, T Town Hombre said:

My wife has been here almost 8 months now.  Life is good but now she wants to bring some family, mainly her daughter, son in law and their only child of 14 years old.  The child has a great talent that needs to be fostered and trained or educated more might be a better way of saying it.  The school here in the US agrees and is accepting her at their school and has written her an admissions letter for the school.  It's a prestigious school.

So now the intensive work begins but I don't know where to start and what to do. I don't have the time to research it as I work way too many hours right now.   If you have good suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,  T Town Hombre

Bottom line is that they will not be moving here for many years.   Sounds like maybe that crucial detail was overlooked when she decided to marry a USC.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I appreciate all of the replies.  I have already spoke with my wife about it.  She is not happy but understands.  If her family wants to come it is up to them to figure it out.  Ireally feel for the granddaughter.  She has a marvelous talent that needs schooling.

I could write a book about the SIL but won't do it.  I love my wife too much and thank God she isn't like her sister.

For the record honesty is always the best policy.  You may hurt some feelings but feelings for good people heal.

I think we are done here. 

Edited by T Town Hombre

***OP has expressed gratitude for the advice and has indicated no further continuation of the subject is needed. Thread is now closed.

VJ Moderation 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.