IAmNoLawyer

Both parents scheduled for IR-5 visa interview. A way to cancel appointment?

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

My parents are both scheduled for a visa interview on January 25, 2023, and I would like to cancel my dad’s appointment only. I did an online chat and called US Embassy Manila and was informed that if I cancel my dad’s, it would cancel both appointments, as my mom is his dependent. I was told that my dad can just do a “no show” and not show up on his appointment if I want to cancel for him. Is this okay? If he does not show up, what will happen to the petition? 

I would like to cancel my dad’s appointment only because he has not been cleared for his medical yet. Does anyone know if there’s any way (or a workaround) I can cancel my dad’s appointment only without canceling my mom’s appointment? Thanks in advance. 

2 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

dont cancel his interview. no matter what, just attend the interview. if the medical is not cleared yet, he will just need to submit it after the interview. 

Thanks for the helpful reply. I did not know he can still attend his interview regardless. He is currently waiting for his sputum testing result, which will be released next month, mid-February 2023. His initial test was negative, which is a good sign so far. We are just waiting for his sputum result now. So I will have him just attend and let the interviewer know that we’re just waiting for his sputum testing result? 

2 minutes ago, IAmNoLawyer said:

Thanks for the helpful reply. I did not know he can still attend his interview regardless. He is currently waiting for his sputum testing result, which will be released next month, mid-February 2023. His initial test was negative, which is a good sign so far. We are just waiting for his sputum result now. So I will have him just attend and let the interviewer know that we’re just waiting for his sputum testing result? 

yes, that is correct 

3 hours ago, Misscloud said:

dont cancel his interview. no matter what, just attend the interview. if the medical is not cleared yet, he will just need to submit it after the interview. 

3 hours ago, IAmNoLawyer said:

So I will have him just attend and let the interviewer know that we’re just waiting for his sputum testing result?

No, that won't work in Manila.  The document screener at USEM will see from his records that your dad has not cleared the visa medical yet, and won't allow him to proceed with the visa interview.  No exception to this policy of the consulate in Manila that I know of, ever.  You don't have to cancel the appointment, though, as your mom may still interview without your dad.  SLEC would have advised your dad to not show up for the interview before the results of his sputum culture testing are released.  Here again is the consulate policy that I posted in your previous thread --

"In some cases, the SLMCEC will direct the applicant to engage in subsequent testing, requiring rescheduling of the original visa appointment. You must follow the guidance from the medical provider and will not be admitted if this is the case. SLMCEC does have the authority to provide this guidance to applicants; following this guidance and not appearing for your interview is the correct course of action and will not adversely affect your visa case." -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MNL-Manila.html#medical_exam_instructions

9 hours ago, Misscloud said:

Not in Manila.  This was posted in the Philippines forum so the OP was interested in a consulate specific answer not one based on generalities.

On 1/6/2023 at 5:42 PM, Chancy said:

No, that won't work in Manila.  The document screener at USEM will see from his records that your dad has not cleared the visa medical yet, and won't allow him to proceed with the visa interview.  No exception to this policy of the consulate in Manila that I know of, ever.  You don't have to cancel the appointment, though, as your mom may still interview without your dad.  SLEC would have advised your dad to not show up for the interview before the results of his sputum culture testing are released.  Here again is the consulate policy that I posted in your previous thread --

"In some cases, the SLMCEC will direct the applicant to engage in subsequent testing, requiring rescheduling of the original visa appointment. You must follow the guidance from the medical provider and will not be admitted if this is the case. SLMCEC does have the authority to provide this guidance to applicants; following this guidance and not appearing for your interview is the correct course of action and will not adversely affect your visa case." -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MNL-Manila.html#medical_exam_instructions

I agree with above.

Do not cancel interview as your mom will need to be interviewed.  She can be processed before your dad.  Sputum is a long wait, so your mom may need to process/travel before your dad.  SLEC would have notified USEM the case for your dad, so no worries there.  Once your dad is medically cleared, you can then setup his appointment through CGI.

12 minutes ago, hunny&me said:

I agree with above.

Do not cancel interview as your mom will need to be interviewed.  She can be processed before your dad.  Sputum is a long wait, so your mom may need to process/travel before your dad.  SLEC would have notified USEM the case for your dad, so no worries there.  Once your dad is medically cleared, you can then setup his appointment through CGI.

Thank you. 

On 1/6/2023 at 3:42 PM, Chancy said:

I appreciate this. Thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.