Zengerhaaw

asylum visa is immigrant visa or not ?I-90 green card renewal super confused.

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

I am currently filing an I-90 for green card (AS7) renewal. My spouse got the asylum status, then helped me get the asylum visa, then I entered USA as a refugee's spouse, then lived in US for one year, then applied for the green card.

Here is one question on the I-90 form:

Did you enter the U.S. on an immigrant visa?

Immigrant visas are processed and issued by U.S. consulates in foreign countries. If you have obtained a green card by applying for permanent resident status after entering the United States, you are not entering on an immigrant visa.

I don't know how to answer that question.  The asylum visa of a refugee's spouse is an immigrant visa or not?. Based on the explanation by USCIS, it seems that it is not. But I'm not 100% sure. Please help me!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

What are yiu trying to do with I-90 form?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Timona said:

What are you trying to do with I-90 form?

submit it online and apply for the green card renewal as the posting title/content suggests.

Thanks

Timeline

That's why I asked you. GC renewal is I-751

Read the very top of page 1 of I-90. It's not for GC renewal. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Wait, what?

why are you filing I-90?

is your spouse a USC?

Also you said you will have oath ceremony, so it’s unclear what you want to do.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline
18 hours ago, Timona said:

That's why I asked you. GC renewal is I-751

Read the very top of page 1 of I-90. It's not for GC renewal. 

Dear. I-751 is not GC Renewal. I-751 is to remove conditions.

Dec 23, 2022  I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence ... Use this form if you are a conditional permanent resident who obtained status through ...

Timeline
18 hours ago, Chancy said:

Didn't you file N400 and took your oath?

Yes. Naturalized. Sorry. I was not clear in my posting. Now I'm helping a friend file his I-90. 

Timeline
20 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

Wait, what?

why are you filing I-90?

is your spouse a USC?

Also you said you will have oath ceremony, so it’s unclear what you want to do.

Sorry. I was not clear in my posting. I am now a citizen. my journey is over.

Now I'm helping a friend file his I-90. My posting uses the first person, but it is not me. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, Zengerhaaw said:

Dear. I-751 is not GC Renewal. I-751 is to remove conditions.

Dec 23, 2022  I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence ... Use this form if you are a conditional permanent resident who obtained status through ...

Yes yes. I know. I mixed the wording. My apologies. 

All this while, I thought you had a 2 years GC. That's what most people get confused when it comes to ROC. If you have a 10 years GC, then I-90 is the way to go

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

What Is the Purpose of Form I-90?

This application is used by lawful permanent residents and permanent residents in commuter status to apply for replacement or renewal of existing Permanent Resident Cards.

From Dept. of Homeland Security Immigrant Classes of Admissionhttps://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/lawful-permanent-residents/ImmigrantCOA

Asylees
AS6 Asylees
GA6 Iraqi asylees
SY6 Syrian asylees
AS7 Spouses of AS6

Didn't YOU tell US that ??!?

Edited by RandyW

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Timeline
12 hours ago, RandyW said:

What Is the Purpose of Form I-90?

This application is used by lawful permanent residents and permanent residents in commuter status to apply for replacement or renewal of existing Permanent Resident Cards.

From Dept. of Homeland Security Immigrant Classes of Admissionhttps://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/lawful-permanent-residents/ImmigrantCOA

Asylees
AS6 Asylees
GA6 Iraqi asylees
SY6 Syrian asylees
AS7 Spouses of AS6

Didn't YOU tell US that ??!?

Thank you for your input.  Yes.  According to https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/lawful-permanent-residents/ImmigrantCOA, my friend entered on   the  AS7    Spouses of AS6 , so that's an immigrant visa.

But:

According to the question explanation offered by USCIS I-90 online form, that is not:

"Did you enter the U.S. on an immigrant visa?

Immigrant visas are processed and issued by U.S. consulates in foreign countries. If you have obtained a green card by applying for permanent resident status after entering the United States, you are not entering on an immigrant visa."

According to the explanation, because my friend was admitted into USA based on the asylee dependent status in 2011 (I saw that stamp in his passport), then obtained his permanent residence in 2012 (residence since 2012), he is NOT entering on an immigrant visa. 

That why I think it's so confusing. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Zengerhaaw said:

Thank you for your input.  Yes.  According to https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/lawful-permanent-residents/ImmigrantCOA, my friend entered on   the  AS7    Spouses of AS6 , so that's an immigrant visa.

But:

According to the question explanation offered by USCIS I-90 online form, that is not:

"Did you enter the U.S. on an immigrant visa?

Immigrant visas are processed and issued by U.S. consulates in foreign countries. If you have obtained a green card by applying for permanent resident status after entering the United States, you are not entering on an immigrant visa."

According to the explanation, because my friend was admitted into USA based on the asylee dependent status in 2011 (I saw that stamp in his passport), then obtained his permanent residence in 2012 (residence since 2012), he is NOT entering on an immigrant visa. 

That why I think it's so confusing. 

I think he is trying to trip himself up over a technicality - he WAS admitted in an Immigrant Class of Admission. The USCIS wording I believe is simply on over-simplication of the issue. However, it may be subject to legal interpretation - but my own (non-professional) understanding of the legalese is that yes he WAS admitted on an "immigrant visa".

So what he needs to decide here is simply - Does he want to get a lawyer to answer this question for him?

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.