Derjave

Came as a minor with US Citizen parents (merged)

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, OldUser said:

The thing is, N-400 has questions about parents and whether they're US citizens. This is when Pandora's box is going to open anyways.

I know. He was a child. Honestly, for me, I would not indicate. One way or another he is going to be a USC. I just took the easy way out. 

The parents are long gone and starting to gather papers to find out even if they met requirements to transmit citizenship is a hustle. Where will he start? He is/ almost is eligible for N400 based on marriage. I would take that and wait to see if what happens.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 hours ago, Derjave said:

2. He can apply for a US Passport WITHOUT N-600?

Yes. We see this several times a month. I always recommend getting a passport card too so that if one document is lost once can easily use the other to get a replacement. 

3. When we gets his US Passport, he then required to apply for N-600?

In the future he might need a certificate of citizenship. Plus it Wilbur a third proof of U.S. citizenship.  So it is a good idea.  

4. His parents were never married. would this be an issue?

Since the father was able to petition his son for a green card, paternity was already established by the department of state   So I don’t see it being an issue for a U.S. passport and passport card. 

5. His mom died when my husband was only 2 years old

Thus  when he was under 18 and had a green card, all his surviving custodial parents became citizens, making him a citizen.  

6 hours ago, Timona said:

I know. He was a child. Honestly, for me, I would not indicate. One way or another he is going to be a USC. I just took the easy way out. 

The parents are long gone and starting to gather papers to find out even if they met requirements to transmit citizenship is a hustle. Where will he start? He is/ almost is eligible for N400 based on marriage. I would take that and wait to see if what happens.

I wouldn't do that. The process in not about what is easier. He needs to take correct action.  

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
23 hours ago, Derjave said:

My husband, a filipino, came to the US when  he was  only 14 years old and now he is already 47.  His dad became a US citizen when he was still a minor . Unforunately, his dad already passed away.  Based on what i read, he was a US Citizen also at that time.

The point is your husband is now a US citizen automatically by law, he cannot be naturalized by filing an n400 because legally he is already a US citizen. You just need to prove he is a citizen by filing the n600 proving his father became a citizen when he was a minor green card holder and he lived with and in the custody of his us citizen father at the time.

The correct legal action to take is to apply for his n600 with the proof needed to be approved, it may not be easy, but it is the only real option. The state department (the passport agency) will likely issue a passport to him with the proper proof of his citizenship, but USCIS has the final word on citizenship. It is best to get the certificate of citizenship by filing the n600, he may need it down the road.

Getting proof of his citizenship may be a bit of a chore, naturalization certificate of father, FOIA of dad's immigration history, your school records, family photos, mom's death certificate, his parents wedding certificate, husband birth record and so on.

Good luck

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Timeline

You get just one chance to file N-600.

Given the petitioning parent is not longer alive and it was 29 or more years since the beneficiary became a U.S. citizen (hence the trail of evidence is cold … so I’ve some sympathy for @Timona’s opinion) filing N-600 first is high risk and has a high probability of (permanently) failing if USCIS issues an RFE and a deadline the beneficiary cannot possibly meet.  

Hence my advice to try for a passport and passport card first. It’s cheap, and it can be attempted multiple times.  And the State department obviously and originally made a final and favorable determination of paternity and thus is less likely to question paternity 29+ years after the fact.  

Automatic acquisition of citizenship through naturalization of the parent needs to be reformed so that these tragedies stop once and for all. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, OldUser said:

How would one recover from denied N-600? File N-400? 

The context is a denial because the RFE response was late or didn’t happen. In that context  there  is no N-400 path.  Remember that N-600 applications result because N-400 was denied.  

USCIS isn’t going to break the law just because an applicant decided to run out the clock on an RFE for an N-600.  I’m sure people have tried  that approach and paid the price. 

Options:

* Get a U.S. passport and live with limitations. 99 percent of everyone can do so.  

*  try to appeal in federal court.  

If one insists on attempting N-600 before passport and without an experienced litigator preparing the application one arguably gets what they deserve. If the litigator is not competent, the applicant can at least claim ineffective assistance of counsel. DIYers don’t get to do that.  

What’s VJ mantra for denied cases? Ans: file again. Too bad it doesn’t work for N-600.  

Whereas if a litigator is doing the work, the litigator knows the process for how to handle an RFE with an unreasonable deadline or requirement. For example if the RFE required DNA evidence and they only way to get was exhumation, a 30 day deadline is not going to hold up in federal court. 

I’ve never  seen  a case where hiring an  attorney to fix DIY mistakes cost less than if the attorney was hired from the beginning.  

Edited by Mike E

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

The context is a denial because the RFE response was late or didn’t happen. In that context  there  is no N-400 path.  Remember that N-600 applications result because N-400 was denied.  

My understanding is a bit limited, but wouldn't the algorithm be:

1. Apply for N-600. Approved? Great. Denied? Go to step 2.

2. Apply for N-400 based on LPR. Attach copy of N-600 denial, showing he's not a citizen.

How can step 2 be not available?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, OldUser said:

My understanding is a bit limited, but wouldn't the algorithm be:

1. Apply for N-600. Approved? Great. Denied? Go to step 2.

2. Apply for N-400 based on LPR. Attach copy of N-600 denial, showing he's not a citizen.

How can step 2 be not available?

Because being denied because you failed to reply to an RFE in time doesn’t mean you aren’t already a U.S. citizen. If that were true then U.S. citizens  who have had their N-600s denied because they didn’t respond to an RFE wouldn’t be able to get U.S. passports.  Well they can and they do. 

Too much advocacy in this thread of illegal activity and high risk behavior.  

I’m out before the lock. 

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.